What engine oil for the 5.0 ? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 AM   #36
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
I did mine every 3k and it's not a waste. Depending on how you treat your car ect depends on your intervals for it.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
This. If you stick with semi-synthetic and not hard on the vehicle, changing it every 4 to 5K is fine. Things like weekend track use, or towing are examples of hard use; change the interval to around 3K with a good quality semi-synthetic. If you use full synthetic, you can (and should) go longer in the interval; some advertise up to 10K or 12K with "normal use". Change this interval to around 6K if you use the vehicle "hard".
If you're one of those "old school" thinkers and feel you must change your oil every 3K, then stay with the semi-synthetics. Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil is rated very high as a good quality oil; their filters are top notch as well. Take note: this old school thinking was based on non-synthetic oils.
Unless you are a full out race dog, semi-synthetic oil and intervals of 4 to 5K are fine.
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 07:28 AM   #37
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
This. If you stick with semi-synthetic and not hard on the vehicle, changing it every 4 to 5K is fine. Things like weekend track use, or towing are examples of hard use; change the interval to around 3K with a good quality semi-synthetic. If you use full synthetic, you can (and should) go longer in the interval; some advertise up to 10K or 12K with "normal use". Change this interval to around 6K if you use the vehicle "hard".
If you're one of those "old school" thinkers and feel you must change your oil every 3K, then stay with the semi-synthetics. Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil is rated very high as a good quality oil; their filters are top notch as well. Take note: this old school thinking was based on non-synthetic oils.
Unless you are a full out race dog, semi-synthetic oil and intervals of 4 to 5K are fine.
This x1000. And with the price of Motorcraft oil and filters at Wal Mart... if you are changing every 3k miles it'd be stupid to not go that route IMO.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:09 AM   #38

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Lot's of good points in this thread.

I personally run Mobil1 Extended Performance (gold lid) 5w-30 with a Mobil1 Extended Performance filter.

As some have stated, the oil change reminder is a bit more advanced than you may realize. They incorporate sensors to test different variables. For more info, check out:

What is an oil life indicator? | HowStuffWorks

and

When it's Time For an Oil Change | Vehicle Feature Video | Official Ford Owner Site

Also, I know CAFE requirements are commonly stated as the reason for the 5w-20 recommendation from the factory, BUT.... I read an article on the 5.0 where the ENGINEER said they went with 5w-20 to reduce injector requirements.
That is the problem as we dont know what real science says...
KeMoOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Change the oil every 500 miles if it tickles someone's fancy and make you sleep better at night. No real need to change oil and filter for people who drive their cars under normal conditions. The recommended oil change intervals for our ponies are 10k miles or once a year based on normal driving operations. That was also for using Fords motorcraft oil filter and synthetic blend oil.

Use 5W 20 weight if one wants but its for CAFE regulations and has nothing to do with the tight engine specs. The same tight spec engine in Fords European region uses 5W 30 weight oil for the same engine we have here in U.S. No CAFE regulations over in Europe.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 12:49 PM   #40
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Change the oil every 500 miles if it tickles someone's fancy and make you sleep better at night. No real need to change oil and filter for people who drive their cars under normal conditions. The recommended oil change intervals for our ponies are 10k miles or once a year based on normal driving operations. That was also for using Fords motorcraft oil filter and synthetic blend oil.

Use 5W 20 weight if one wants but its for CAFE regulations and has nothing to do with the tight engine specs. The same tight spec engine in Fords European region uses 5W 30 weight oil for the same engine we have here in U.S. No CAFE regulations over in Europe.

This.

I mentioned this on another forum and got called a moron by a few ppl because "Ford isn't going to tell you to use a worse oil" or something along those lines. I went out to my 2000 and took a pic of an underhood sticker that says "recommended spec 5w-30" and uploaded it lol.

Yes the original recommended spec for 96-present is 5w-30 and it is for sure CAFE reasons for 20.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-15-2016, 01:03 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This.

I mentioned this on another forum and got called a moron by a few ppl because "Ford isn't going to tell you to use a worse oil" or something along those lines. I went out to my 2000 and took a pic of an underhood sticker that says "recommended spec 5w-30" and uploaded it lol.

Yes the original recommended spec for 96-present is 5w-30 and it is for sure CAFE reasons for 20.
I guess we are both morons and so is Ford in Europe for using 5W 30. Lol 👍

Old 01-15-2016, 01:55 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
This is all regurgitated BS. Use the search button. I suppose some people like hearing themselves say the same things repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
This is all regurgitated BS. Use the search button. I suppose some people like hearing themselves say the same things repeatedly.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
That's why we love oil threads.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:59 PM   #44
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
That's why we love oil threads.

Bring on the "what exhaust is best" or "what CAI" threads!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Bring on the "what exhaust is best" or "what CAI" threads!
Ba ha ha ha. Let's not forget the should I get the 73 mm throttle body lol

Old 01-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #46
Staff
Regular
Staff

3.73s vs 4.10s GO!

Old 01-15-2016, 02:47 PM   #47

Welll i believe i havent got an answer for my question xP

But jts fun to see the post is being a place of discussion
Old 01-15-2016, 03:31 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeMoOo View Post

To answer your question go use Mobil 1 extended performance.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:42 PM   #49
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:

Because there isn't one answer. Ford has their recommended USA spec and Worldwide spec.

What I would recommend is the same as Kona. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30. Get it at Wal Mart for $27 for a 5 quart jug. Buy two jugs and have leftover oil for topping off/other cars/next change and a Motorcraft filter or get a WIX filter on the way home.

As I said in an earlier post, this sort of thing gets way too overthought. With some exceptions such as built engines and blower cars you can run any blend or above and be totally fine.

Old 01-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #50

Quote:
Because there isn't one answer. Ford has their recommended USA spec and Worldwide spec.

What I would recommend is the same as Kona. Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30. Get it at Wal Mart for $27 for a 5 quart jug. Buy two jugs and have leftover oil for topping off/other cars/next change and a Motorcraft filter or get a WIX filter on the way home.

As I said in an earlier post, this sort of thing gets way too overthought. With some exceptions such as built engines and blower cars you can run any blend or above and be totally fine.
https://youtu.be/lNADulERQFY
Old 01-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #51
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
https://youtu.be/lNADulERQFY
Lmao, ok if you think you'll get 10whp from a different weight oil I've got a bridge to sell you in NYC.

Also that's not even the same car as you have...

Old 01-15-2016, 03:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Lmao, ok if you think you'll get 10whp from a different weight oil I've got a bridge to sell you in NYC.

Also that's not even the same car as you have...
I dont know man i am not an expert i am trying to learn the truth ...
Old 01-15-2016, 03:54 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Yep, once again another pointless oil thread. Like all the rest.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Yep, once again another pointless oil thread. Like all the rest.
If someone is expert it wouldnt be pointless

Are u an expert ?
Old 01-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #55
Staff
Regular
Staff

You will not gain any power from switching fluids and sure as hell not 10rwhp. You can also make a dyno say anything. Powerblock once said that their LS1 Camaro picked up about 12rwhp going from regular fluids to Royal Purple. That's the sort of thing that should automatically raise a bull**** flag.

If you want someone to go tell you what oil to use me and Kona already did. M1 Extended 5w-30, WIX or Motorcraft filter, get the oil at Wal Mart for the best price.

Dunzo, stick a fork in it.

Old 01-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Are u an expert ?
Why yes I am. Want my credentials?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:30 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
This is the article I was referring to earlier. Looks like it doesn't state it was quoted directly from an engineer.... I think the engineer comment came from a youtube video I watched on the 5.0 engine. Maybe I'll track it down...

2011 Ford Mustang GT 5.0 Coyote Engine - 5.0 Mustang & Fast Fords

"Considerable work went into prepping the Coyote's oiling system for its 7,000-rpm redline and high-g Mustang home. It begins with thin 5W-20 mineral oil for reduced oil-pump-drive requirements, less internal drag, and quicker cold-start lubrication. Oil capacity was increased to 8 quarts, both to ensure adequate supply at high engine speeds and to increase oil change intervals to 10,000 miles."
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:46 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If someone is expert it wouldnt be pointless

Are u an expert ?
You can have 10 experts in the motor oil industry and all 10 will have different opinions and yet their all experts in motor oil. Even experts in the the economy and politics have differences of opinions. One thing that people can all agree in is motor oil is highly important to an engine and change it on at regular intervals.

Is your engine going to last longer because you used Motorcraft blend over another Brand X oil? Maybe? Maybe not! If your looking for the top true synthetic Base IV oils then your chose is Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1 extended performance or Royal Purple (although RP is debatable if it's a true Base IV synthetic).

Will your engine last longer if you use Mobil 1 EP or Amsoil over Motorcraft? Maybe! Maybe not.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM   #59

Thanks alot guys ...
Old 01-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #60
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Thanks alot guys ...
Well what did you want to hear? That there was some oil thatd give you a power bump? Not happening.

Tbth there isn't much you can do bolt on wise for the coyote besides exhaust and tune. Which is a good thing since that'll be a 400whp or greater street car and less out of pocket money for bolt ons.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Old 01-16-2016, 09:30 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I dont know man i am not an expert i am trying to learn the truth ...
As stated, theirs a lot of opinions and a lot of ways that will work. If you want to know if what you are doing is adequate or if you can go longer between intervals, get it analyzed. Your car, your oil, your driving style, your change interval, tested and your answer...minus all the repetitive good advice. Now only if someone could standardize exhaust sounds! Lol
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
As stated, theirs a lot of opinions and a lot of ways that will work. If you want to know if what you are doing is adequate or if you can go longer between intervals, get it analyzed. Your car, your oil, your driving style, your change interval, tested and your answer...minus all the repetitive good advice. Now only if someone could standardize exhaust sounds! Lol
Great idea. OP, go get your oil tested from Blackstone labs. I use Super Tech fully synthetic 5W 30 oil from Wal Mart on my wife's van. Our van currently has 155k miles and I change the oil every 7,500k miles. Van runs great so go figure using Wal Mart oil. ( I know Wal Mart doesn't manufacturer the oil, lol)

Old 01-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I read that Ford actually uses Castrol in their performance vehicles. But I always use Mobil 1 full synthetic and no problems.
cmlambert8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
This oil subject is way over thought. Use an oil that meets the requirement for your car and be done with it. Most people are never going to keep their vehicle long enough to see if using a full synthetic versus a semi-synthetic, or petroleum based oil is going to make a difference. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine will.

Wayne
Old 01-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
This oil subject is way over thought. Use an oil that meets the requirement for your car and be done with it. Most people are never going to keep their vehicle long enough to see if using a full synthetic versus a semi-synthetic, or petroleum based oil is going to make a difference. The rest of the car will fall apart way before the engine will.

Wayne
People are too worried about that resell value if they use the wrong kind of oil. Same people who advertise their pony had never been out in the elements and no rain drops have ever touched the paint. Ha ha ha. Its juts oil people.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:55 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Most people are going to trade their Mustang to a dealer or used car lot when they get rid of it and those people are not going to care what oil was used so people worrying about resale value because of the oil they use are worrying for nothing. Most people who buy a used vehicle are also not going to care what oil was used.

This subject is mostly just a feel good issue for the people who own these cars and obsess about what oil to use. When has anyone heard or actually experienced an engine failure caused by the oil used? It rarely happens these days.

Wayne
Old 01-18-2016, 09:14 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Most people are going to trade their Mustang to a dealer or used car lot when they get rid of it and those people are not going to care what oil was used so people worrying about resale value because of the oil they use are worrying for nothing. Most people who buy a used vehicle are also not going to care what oil was used.

This subject is mostly just a feel good issue for the people who own these cars and obsess about what oil to use. When has anyone heard or actually experienced an engine failure caused by the oil used? It rarely happens these days.

Wayne
Exactly, when have you heard of an engine failure due to oil brand? Lol

Old 01-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #69
Staff
Regular
Staff

I've seen one documented engine failure due to a fram orange death can and have heard claims from 2 or 3 others but never from the actual oil brand.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:14 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
I've seen one documented engine failure due to a fram orange death can and have heard claims from 2 or 3 others but never from the actual oil brand.

Is that the regular Fran filter? I know they have the extra gaurd and tough gaurd filters too that are suppose to be better.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT