What engine oil for the 5.0 ? - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #106
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
With all that being said then I would strongly recommend people not change their own oil and filter during the warranty period because Ford may deny warranty work if your engine fails. Ford could easily deny warranty of the work because they don't know if you changed the oil and filter correctly correctly. Ford doesn't know if a third party outfit changed the oil and filter correctly. That being said only use the Ford dealerships to change the oil and filter during warranty periods, that way warranty work won't be denied.

Also, use Motorcraft oil and filters because its what Ford recommends and you wouldn't want Ford to deny warranty work because one used Amsoil oil or Amsoil filters. Use only Fords recommended oil brand and filters which are Motorcraft brand. After all, anything other than Motorcraft oil and Motorcraft filters are not the recommended lubricates so wannanty work may be denied for sure

Its not wrong to use 5W 20 weight oil and for those who want to use it, rock out. I personally would not use it and will take my chances with warranty coverage or lack their of to the engine and use 5W30 weight. After all my warranty was gone when I tuned my pony with 5k miles on her. 😉

The wording in the warantee does say to save your receipts from the work performed, so you may be technically correct if you do your own maintenance without paying a "certified" shop.

The warantee does not say use motorcraft, it says use oil to the specs I posted
a couple posts up.

I would like to see the evidence that the coyote will not last as long with 5W-20. My 86 capri has still not hit 100K, so the odds of this stang getting there are slim if I'm still the owner, but I'd like to hear the case if there is a strong one. You may even convert me if the risk is so high, it becomes more important than the warantee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 PM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
The wording in the warantee does say to save your receipts from the work performed, so you may be technically correct if you do your own maintenance without paying a "certified" shop.

The warantee does not say use motorcraft, it says use oil to the specs I posted
a couple posts up.

I would like to see the evidence that the coyote will not last as long with 5W-20. My 86 capri has still not hit 100K, so the odds of this stang getting there are slim if I'm still the owner, but I'd like to hear the case if there is a strong one. You may even convert me if the risk is so high, it becomes more important than the warantee.
I personally have no evidence that will show the coyote engine having a shorter life span using 5w20 weight oil. I have seen articles that 5W 20 weight will shorten an engines life by as much as 30% over using 5W 30 weight.

I personally have no proof of that being true, but for me I am not willing to take that chance when 5w30 weight is perfectly good oil for our engines. If 5W 30 weight oil is good enough and recomemded by Ford in Europe then its safe enough for me too use here in the US. Same tight spec engines in Europe as here in the U.S. For those of you who have done any research on this, it is common knowledge that Ford only recommended 5w20 weight oil because of the United States CAFE regulations and no other reason.

Of course the Ford corporation is not going to admit to this, however do the research and at the end of the day that's the real reason. It's not because the engines have tighter specs. 5w30 weight lubricates and protects the engine just as good but the fuel mileage is slightly less then using the 5w 20 weight oil.

The coyote engine with the Track Pac option takes recommended 5w50 weight and a non track pac coyote engine recommends 5w20 weight. Its the same engine and the same type specs and yet they use a much heavier weight oil for track pac models. If you can use safely a 50 weight engine oil and a 20 weight oil in a coyote engine then a 30 weight will be perfectly fine. For those who are that concerned about warranty coverage the safest thing to do, is just have the Ford dealership change the oil and filter. That way one never has to worry about warranty coverage issues.

For those who have warranty concerns I would not change the oil yourself or have a third party business change the oil. If something goes wrong Ford does not know and cannot certify the quality of work that was done from a third party business changing your oil and filter.

If you have a third party business change the oil and filter and Ford denies warranty coverage then you the owner will have to prove the third party business did not mess up the car. It's on you to prove that, not Ford.

Just have Ford dealership change the oil and filter if someone is worried about warranty coverage and used 5w20 weight oil

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 AM   #108
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I personally have no evidence that will show the coyote engine having a shorter life span using 5w20 weight oil. I have seen articles that 5W 20 weight will shorten an engines life by as much as 30% over using 5W 30 weight.
Have links? I see a lot of references to this Synlube commercial, but no true links to the 30% claim.

SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil

Doesn't oil cost a lot more in Europe, hence drain intervals are much longer than in US, that the reason for higher weights due to shear (not temporary)?
Old 01-27-2016, 01:41 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Have links? I see a lot of references to this Synlube commercial, but no true links to the 30% claim.

SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil

Doesn't oil cost a lot more in Europe, hence drain intervals are much longer than in US, that the reason for higher weights due to shear (not temporary)?
Let me try to find that article sir. Also, I don't know what the drain length intervals are in Europe but the oil weight should be the same when its the same engine as here in the U.S.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

SAE 5W-20 Motor Oil

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2884476

Here is the article! Also, at the end of the day, people need to use what they feel comfortable with. If people want to stick with 5W20 then please do so and godspeed. Its their vehicle and if they want to use vegetable oil, then feel free.

I have had no issues with my engine in any of my vehicles and would continue using 5W 30 weight. I feel comfortable that my engine will not blow up because of the 30 weight oil. Again, if a 5.0 trac pack gets 5W 50 weight and its the same spec engine as a 5.0 non trac pack model that's gets 20 weight oil, then 30 weight will do just fine.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:49 AM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...now-takes-5w50

Great read and it ties into this whole thread! Really great info on SVT!

Old 01-28-2016, 01:24 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

Another great read and on target to the topic. Even Ford over in Europe is mentioned.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 AM   #113
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Let me try to find that article sir. Also, I don't know what the drain length intervals are in Europe but the oil weight should be the same when its the same engine as here in the U.S.

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Not if they allow longer drain intervals and don't spec at least a semi-synthetic. That could explain if they allow a dino 30W that could shear quickly to a 20W. I tried to find Europe's 14 GT owners manual, but no luck to see what they spec.

Quote:
2013 GT now takes 5w50??

Great read and it ties into this whole thread! Really great info on SVT!
Ever find out for sure if the suggested programmed cam timing vs oil weight had any weight to it (pun intended )?

Quote:

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Quote:
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

Another great read and on target to the topic. Even Ford over in Europe is mentioned.

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Read that from a link from the synlube site. From poking around many of the 20 vs 30 oil threads, it sounds like neither true synthetic grade shears permanently at all anymore. Also seems to indicate the higher than 20W oil could be needed to extended high oil temps from road course, towing, and/or highly modified or blown cars. None of that applies to me so far.
It does appear that moving to a true syth 20W that meets ford spec, vs ford semi-syth would be beneficial (especially with long drain intervals).

I'd be much more interested in the true cold start oil flow of 5W-20 vs 5W-30 at start up (yes, they both claim 5W on the cold end, but whatis the range in specs, and where does each fall in for dino, semi-synthetic, PAO synthetic, etc..), as you could get much more damage there vs the possibility of long term wear.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:19 AM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not if they allow longer drain intervals and don't spec at least a semi-synthetic. That could explain if they allow a dino 30W that could shear quickly to a 20W. I tried to find Europe's 14 GT owners manual, but no luck to see what they spec.

Ever find out for sure if the suggested programmed cam timing vs oil weight had any weight to it (pun intended )?

Read that from a link from the synlube site. From poking around many of the 20 vs 30 oil threads, it sounds like neither true synthetic grade shears permanently at all anymore. Also seems to indicate the higher than 20W oil could be needed to extended high oil temps from road course, towing, and/or highly modified or blown cars. None of that applies to me so far.
It does appear that moving to a true syth 20W that meets ford spec, vs ford semi-syth would be beneficial (especially with long drain intervals).

I'd be much more interested in the true cold start oil flow of 5W-20 vs 5W-30 at start up (yes, they both claim 5W on the cold end, but whatis the range in specs, and where does each fall in for dino, semi-synthetic, PAO synthetic, etc..), as you could get much more damage there vs the possibility of long term wear.
What is their interval drain? Its 10k miles here in U.S.? Is it longer in Europe?

Old 01-28-2016, 08:00 AM   #115
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Quote:
What is their interval drain? Its 10k miles here in U.S.? Is it longer in Europe?

Non and non fed. I $uck!
Ours is up to 10K, unless oil monitor says sooner (then it is 2 weeks ro 500 mile after that). Maybe it is 10K no matter what over there. Plus if they allow/spec dino 5W-30, is semi-syth 5W-20 better than or equal to dino 5W-30?
Old 01-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is up to 10K, unless oil monitor says sooner (then it is 2 weeks ro 500 mile after that). Maybe it is 10K no matter what over there. Plus if they allow/spec dino 5W-30, is semi-syth 5W-20 better than or equal to dino 5W-30?
Beats me! Lol!

Old 01-28-2016, 03:12 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Most people are going to trade their Mustang to a dealer or used car lot when they get rid of it and those people are not going to care what oil was used so people worrying about resale value because of the oil they use are worrying for nothing. Most people who buy a used vehicle are also not going to care what oil was used.

Wayne

I could tell you my car has had Amsoil in its entire lifetime in a for sale ad. Are you going to run a sample off to a lab to validate? Who does that?

One or two times I've gone a few miles over the recommended oil change interval, but advertise it was changed every 3,000.00 miles "religiously". Is that false advertising?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I could tell you my car has had Amsoil in its entire lifetime in a for sale ad. Are you going to run a sample off to a lab to validate? Who does that?

One or two times I've gone a few miles over the recommended oil change interval, but advertise it was changed every 3,000.00 miles "religiously". Is that false advertising?

Does Ford still recommend one change the oil every 3,000 miles for any of the mustangs of the 21st Century? Poke poke poke

Old 01-28-2016, 03:34 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think so, but people still do it. I just follow what the ticker tells me on the dashboard. When it runs to zero I get it done.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't think so, but people still do it. I just follow what the ticker tells me on the dashboard. When it runs to zero I get it done.

See, people still do 3,000 mile oil change intervals (not me) but I still use 5W 30 oil for my 5W 20 mustang. Ba ha ha ba.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Oh man, you're going to hell and your car will die within days

Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh man, you're going to hell and your car will die within days

👹 Devil! Lol

Old 01-30-2016, 01:14 AM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

I'm not going to run samples on oil or believe anything someone writes. When I buy used, I accept the fact that I'm taking a chance on every aspect of the vehicle.

My points that I made in the post you quoted are that people get too caught up in what oil and viscosity to use. Just use what the manufacturer recommends and go on. Most popular name brand oils these days are pretty close in quality and I doubt your engine is going to notice the difference over the long haul.

Use the viscosity that is recommended and go on.

Ford has made it easy for me. They recommend Motorcraft 5W-20 for my Mustang and that is what I use. I sleep good at night doing so. If my engine craps out in the future, I doubt it will be from the oil and viscosity I'm using.

Wayne
Old 01-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I prefer crunchy peanut butter X)
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:04 AM   #125
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Amsoil all the way.
Old 03-01-2016, 05:05 AM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I use a canola/olive blend in whatever weight publix has.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If you're smart about it change oil weights with the season. Thinner weights when it's colder. Heavier when it's hot. But Ford kind of leans towards the thinner weight for 2 reasons. 1. MPG. 2. Most people will never bother to change weights with the season. You don't want heavier weights in when it's 10 * outside. Engine damage would occur.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 07:09 AM   #128
Staff
Regular
Staff

How is this thread still going?

Especially with the cluelessness from page 1...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #129
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Haven't changed it yet but I picked up 8 quarts of Motorcraft Synblend 5w20 with a fl500s filter. Stickin with the Ford brand for what its worth.

2014 GT/CS 6spd. with total FR suspension upgrades.
stanggtcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
Amsoil all the way.

I'm going Amsoil next time around. Which one did you go with: signature series, xl, or oe? I would feel wrong going with the 25,000 mile interval one. I've been raised on 3,000 miles haha. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1458911270.198615.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	198751

Old 03-25-2016, 08:15 AM   #131
Registered Member
Regular

Use the Signature Series in the Amsoil, that's what I use. I change my oil one a year regardless the mileage but on my old daily drivers I would go 20,000 miles between oil changes with Amsoil.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 AM   #132
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
05 GT, likes Castrol 5w30 Syntec

My wife's 05 Mustang GT has been running the Castrol Syntec 5w30 for about 3.5 months and about 3,500 miles and it is loving it. Gets more MPG has not used a drip and motor turns up more freely and has a tad bit more power it seems. Was running the 5w20 syn-blend. Will not go back to 5w20 or syn-blend again. It has 94k miles on it now and runs better than it did with 20k miles. I also have a 98 f150 4x4 ,5.4 triton with 297k miles and ran 5w30 syn for a long time then switched to 5w40 euro synthetic and it was using a little oil every 2-3k miles. I have now switched to 15w40 DELO diesel oil and it is picked up compression and power and it uses zero oil now. I have to say this is the most dramatic difference i ever seen by just changing oil.So if you got one with high miles try the 5w40 first then if it does not help try the 15w40 DELO. It will make a difference.
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Use the Signature Series in the Amsoil, that's what I use. I change my oil one a year regardless the mileage but on my old daily drivers I would go 20,000 miles between oil changes with Amsoil.

Do you buy the Amsoil oil filter too? Which one?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #134
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I ain't read all this but, you guys realize that 5W20 and 5W30 are the same weight oil, right? It's 5 weight. The second number is how it acts at low at low temperatures and is reflective of its additive package and intended use. The wider the number, the more additives are needed, generally and the quicker they sheer off and reduce protection. That said, nothing you do on road is putting any oil to any really serious stress. You ain't running Lemans 24 hour here.

I've been using 5W20 MC in both my s197s and I thrash them at the dragstrip too. No problems in three years on the last car, that engine pushed max compression allowable on all 8 and, was a quiet as a church mouse. No reason to experiment here and Ford does an oil change quite reasonably here, meaning I don't have to dispose of 8 litres of used oil myself, yay!

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #135
Registered Member
Regular

You have that backwards, the first number is the cold weight and the second is when its warm. Higher the second number, higher the viscosity index.

You are correct that 5w oils and oils with s wider spread generally have stronger add packs to prevent shear.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970Ronnie View Post
My wife's 05 Mustang GT has been running the Castrol Syntec 5w30 for about 3.5 months and about 3,500 miles and it is loving it. Gets more MPG has not used a drip and motor turns up more freely and has a tad bit more power it seems. Was running the 5w20 syn-blend. Will not go back to 5w20 or syn-blend again. It has 94k miles on it now and runs better than it did with 20k miles. I also have a 98 f150 4x4 ,5.4 triton with 297k miles and ran 5w30 syn for a long time then switched to 5w40 euro synthetic and it was using a little oil every 2-3k miles. I have now switched to 15w40 DELO diesel oil and it is picked up compression and power and it uses zero oil now. I have to say this is the most dramatic difference i ever seen by just changing oil.So if you got one with high miles try the 5w40 first then if it does not help try the 15w40 DELO. It will make a difference.
This is the 2011-2014 section so this post is totally useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco3 View Post
Do you buy the Amsoil oil filter too? Which one?
Yes, I only use Amsoil filter. I've been using the EO17 but I think the EO11 will work as well.

2015 GT Premium 401A Ingot Silver Automatic Sold

2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Automatic Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #137
Registered Member
Regular

OMG, I can't believe I mixed that up. I've been doing this 30+ year, wtf? I gotta cut back on the dope....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-25-2016, 09:39 AM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
exactly correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
You have that backwards, the first number is the cold weight and the second is when its warm. Higher the second number, higher the viscosity index.

You are correct that 5w oils and oils with s wider spread generally have stronger add packs to prevent shear.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
You are correct. the first one is the cold oil weight. And different brands have different add packs. Some have more zinc and phosphate etc than others.
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #139
Staff
Regular
Staff

I guess nobody else runs the Shell Rotella 5w-40 eh? Stopped the cam seal seeping slow leak on the wife's Honda and my truck doesn't use nearly as much oil as it used to. Probably going to use it in the Mustang because centri blowers beat the living **** out of oil, at least pan fed ones like mine. For the self contained units its not a factor.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda build #48. Bolt ons, suspension, Novi 2000.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #140
Registered Member
Regular

You think centris beat the **** out of oil? Try twin turbos, lol. Those centre sections are Hades themselves...even with water cooling.

When I had TT on my old 88, I'd be changing the oil every 3500 kilometers...and it'd be black as pitch.

It was so bad, I changed to a centri blower to ease up on it a little....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT