What engine oil for the 5.0 ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:13 AM   #1

Region: Alabama
What engine oil for the 5.0 ?

Hey guys

I have been using the motorcraft 5w20.

the thing i dont like about it is that
it is synthetic not fully synthetic
I dont think it is the best for performance
and i dont think it is the best for protection

one of my friend has been using Lucas 5w30 and he is very happy with it and he is getting a bit more power from it.

So do you guys recommend anything for me on what engine oil should i use and with what lubrication ? been thinking about Mobile 1 and Castrol but i dont know.

thanks !
KeMoOo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 07:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Mobil 1 not Mobile 1.

Please do a search since this topic has been beat for years now. No need to rehash this.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Mobil 1 not Mobile 1.

Please do a search since this topic has been beat for years now. No need to rehash this.

---------- Post added at 08:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Mobil 1 not Mobile 1.

It is the autocorrect + thanks but i hope someone else would help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I use Mobil 1

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 AM   #5

Which viscosity ?
Old 01-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you want full synthetic put full synthetic in the car. I would follow the same weight as recommended though.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #7
Staff

Regular
Staff

you are NOT going to get more power from a heavier weight oil.......

I suggest using 5-20 full synthetic. I swap mine out early (time based 9 months 5-6K miles) and tend to get whatever full syn is on sale. Others will specify xxxx brand but unless you have a good reason stick with the reccomended weight.

edit added weight!
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
you are NOT going to get more power from a heavier weight oil.......

I suggest using 5-20 full synthetic. I swap mine out early (time based 9 months 5-6K miles) and tend to get whatever full syn is on sale. Others will specify xxxx brand but unless you have a good reason stick with the reccomended.
https://youtu.be/lNADulERQFY

Check this
Old 01-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkstang47 View Post
Do you guys generally rely on the newer Mustangs "Engine Oil Life" meter or change it still based on mileage/time passed?

I have a hard time trusting that meter thats on there.
Its rubbish
Dint trust it u can reset it any time u want and it will go back to 100%

For me i change my oil every 3000 miles

Thats for thr synthatic motorcraft 5w20

A fully synthatic will last longer
Old 01-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

The oil life monitor works just fine and can be trusted. Changing oil every 3000 miles is an absolute waste.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Staff

Regular
Staff

+1 on ^^^^^

I swap mine 4x in 3yrs = helps me sleep. I tend not to trust the OLM but only because I worry about it failing. Same reason I check my oil and don't rely on the pressure guage.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I did mine every 3k and it's not a waste. Depending on how you treat your car ect depends on your intervals for it.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I go by time every 6 months which works out to about 3000 miles for me.

Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Royal Purple 5w20, change every 10000 km. or yearly. Which ever comes first.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
The oil life monitor works just fine and can be trusted. Changing oil every 3000 miles is an absolute waste.
Do you drive the same way i do and what oil do u use and what oil do u use do u have the same climate that i have ?

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 PM ----------

And about the oil system it js rubbish am 100% sure

What does it measure or how does it work can u tell me ?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #16
Staff

Regular
Staff

it counts time/miles and if it's short drives/hard use I believe. I wouldn't say it's rubbish but if you want to save $ and not have to think too much use it. Assuming you are a normal driver and don't track it or have NOT done what Rap did which is get 600+ HP out of his engine
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #17

Quote:
it counts time/miles and if it's short drives/hard use I believe. I wouldn't say it's rubbish but if you want to save $ and not have to think too much use it.
So it doesnt take into account what visocity am using !

So if am using 5w20 synthatic
Or 10w60 fully synthatic

It will give me the same life span ?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:34 PM   #18

Region: California
I use the best that $ can buy. AMSOIL 100% fully syn. It beats Mobil I across the board in all engine research factors. I have read that Mobil has dumbed down their syn oil by using less syn and more base oil stock. Ford recommends 5W20 and use semi-syn and I would go for that weight oil unless you have some other reason not to do so. Since I only put on 5k a year. Using AMSOIL premium the recommended change interval is something ridiculous like 25k or six months. So I change it every 6 months. It cost about $8/qt. That's cheap and what's more important than the engine . . . maybe brakes? So $48 every six months and my '14 Ruby-Red Mustang purrrrs and I know that engine is protected well!
CaptRLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRLD View Post
I use the best that $ can buy. AMSOIL 100% fully syn. It beats Mobil I across the board in all engine research factors. I have read that Mobil has dumbed down their syn oil by using less syn and more base oil stock. Ford recommends 5W20 and use semi-syn and I would go for that weight oil unless you have some other reason not to do so. Since I only put on 5k a year. Using AMSOIL premium the recommended change interval is something ridiculous like 25k or six months. So I change it every 6 months. It cost about $8/qt. That's cheap and what's more important than the engine . . . maybe brakes? So $48 every six months and my '14 Ruby-Red Mustang purrrrs and I know that engine is protected well!
Amsoil 5w20 ?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeMoOo View Post
So it doesnt take into account what visocity am using !

So if am using 5w20 synthatic
Or 10w60 fully synthatic

It will give me the same life span ?
correct
Old 01-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #21

Quote:
correct
Thats why it is not effecient ... i never use it and i wouldnt recommend anyone to do so...

Resetting the miles in the dash is the way i do it with each oil change...
Old 01-13-2016, 02:01 PM   #22

Region: Arizona
Sold 2001 GT with 225000 miles
Sold 2004 GT with 170000 miles
Now have a 2012 V6. Mobil 1 has been used exclusively on all 3 cars. Ran 12000 miles between changes on the GT's, and do the recommended 10000 miles on the V6. Never had any engine issues.
BTW also used Mobil 1 in 2 different Taurus SHO's and a Contour SVT.
kipschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:03 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I would use the 5w20 Castrol EDGE Full Synthetic while under warranty. Then when it is out of warranty go to Castrol Edge 5w30.. If you are hard on it and run it at High RPM's then you might need to go to the 5w40 . If I was working it hard or racing it I would go 5w40 Full Synthetic for sure. And by all means "DON'T USE A FRAM FILTER!!!
Use WIX XP or K&N Filters only..
1970Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I used to use XO-5W50-QGT Motorcraft Full Synthetic in my 14 TrakPak and changed oil every 5000 miles....actually changed it three times during the 10k miles I owned it.
As Rapinator said, depending on how treat the car depends on how often you change it.
In all of my drag only cars after a 2 or 3 day race event I would change the oil and cut the filter....along with changing the trans oil and flushing the transcooler.....it had a transbrake.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 04:24 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I just use the 5W-20 Motorcraft blend in mine and use the OLM or one year, whatever comes first.

Wayne
Old 01-13-2016, 09:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I run 5w20 full syn whatever name brand is on sale. I did 3k changes first two changes then went to 1x a year ~8k miles. I also send a sample in to blackstone labs for analysis. $30/yr is cheap piece of mind if you trust labs. They can tell you approximately how much life your oil has left and recommend more/less mileage between changes. Plus results show metals or lack of which can point to a problem before a catastrophe happens...or so it's said anyway.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:45 PM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Most of the off the shelf "fully synthetics" are not actually full synthetics. They get away with calling it that because of a labeling loophole. If you get Mobil 1 Extended performance that is a full synthetic as is RP and Amsoil.

All that being said, if you use a good brand and change on schedule and use a good filter you will be fine. Unless you are a legit racecar you do not need the $10/qt stuff and even then... Mobil 1 is $26 for 5 quarts at Wal Mart. Get that, pick up a Wix filter (Napa Gold) on the way home or just buy a Motorcraft filter at Wal Mart and you will be fine.

TBTH, the "what oil do I use" question is the most overthought question there is. All oils sold for use in gasoline engines have to meet a certain criteria. Yes some are better than others but no oil is going to blow up your motor unless you are the idiot that starts a cold engine and immediately peels out of the driveway/parking space.

The filter is the real kicker and to be blunt, if you use something like a Fram orange filter you could be using oil directly from Jesus' nipples and the guy using a Wix filter and Pennzoil dino oil would be better off.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Hey guys

I have been using the motorcraft 5w20.

the thing i dont like about it is that
it is synthetic not fully synthetic
I dont think it is the best for performance
and i dont think it is the best for protection

one of my friend has been using Lucas 5w30 and he is very happy with it and he is getting a bit more power from it.

So do you guys recommend anything for me on what engine oil should i use and with what lubrication ? been thinking about Mobile 1 and Castrol but i dont know.

thanks !
How do you use your mustang? Do you drag strip race it often? Do you auto x track race it? Do you just drive it back and forth to work and to the super market? Do you plan on staying with a 3k oil change interval? Do you take really short trips or longer mile trips with your pony?

3k mile oil change intervals may not be a waste depending on how you drive the car. Maybe you beat the dog snot out of the engine weekly from racing it so in that case 3k oil changes would be great.

I use 5W 30 Mobil 1 extended performance and change my oil every 10k miles or once a year which ever comes first. My pony is not my DD, I don't track race and its my fun day car. I have been able to find around 10k miles yearly of fun days to drive my pony and no real need to change more often based how I drive.

Everyone that reads and does some research knows the 5W 20 weight is fine but no need for it. Its just for the US CAFE regulations in reference to fuel MPG's. No real need for 5W 20 oil but will work lubricate fine

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
How do you use your mustang? Do you drag strip race it often? Do you auto x track race it? Do you just drive it back and forth to work and to the super market? Do you plan on staying with a 3k oil change interval? Do you take really short trips or longer mile trips with your pony?

3k mile oil change intervals may not be a waste depending on how you drive the car. Maybe you beat the dog snot out of the engine weekly from racing it so in that case 3k oil changes would be great.

I use 5W 30 Mobil 1 extended performance and change my oil every 10k miles or once a year which ever comes first. My pony is not my DD, I don't track race and its my fun day car. I have been able to find around 10k miles yearly of fun days to drive my pony and no real need to change more often based how I drive.

Everyone that reads and does some research knows the 5W 20 weight is fine but no need for it. Its just for the US CAFE regulations in reference to fuel MPG's. No real need for 5W 20 oil but will work lubricate fine

I drive her everyday and i beat the **** out of her everyday
Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I drive her everyday and i beat the **** out of her everyday
Well, there you go!

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I change mine once a year. It's my daily but length of commute means only about 6-6.5k miles a year. I typically run castrol edge or Pennzoil platinum.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #32
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkstang47 View Post
Thats kinda what I thought with the oil life meter. Nifty gadget but I dont 100% trust it. I live in the city with constant stop and go traffic---dont know if it factors that into the oil life or not.

Best to trust yourself and get it changed on an interval.
It does if you are doing short commutes or never get the car up to temp for long with a good solid uninterrupted run to burn off all the contaminants. Needs to be changed more often then. Like my truck gets driven almost exclusively 5 miles to work each way so I change the oil every 4k or so.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #33

Region: California
The oil change reminder on the dash is based upon a algorithm that takes into account far more than just logged miles. Time idling wears out oil as well, but does not log any miles. So does real fast as a opposed to moderate speed. Temperature has a bearing as well.
So if you idle lots, travel little and really push the engine your light will come on sooner. If you chose a odometer mileage change interval and your warning light never comes on before you change oil, you are fine. If on the other hand your oil change light is coming on before the mileage interval you set . . . you are going too long before oil changes.
One never damages an engine by changing the oil too frequently. Err in that direction. Or wear the engine out early by not changing soon enough.
CaptRLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRLD View Post
The oil change reminder on the dash is based upon a algorithm that takes into account far more than just logged miles. Time idling wears out oil as well, but does not log any miles. So does real fast as a opposed to moderate speed. Temperature has a bearing as well.
So if you idle lots, travel little and really push the engine your light will come on sooner. If you chose a odometer mileage change interval and your warning light never comes on before you change oil, you are fine. If on the other hand your oil change light is coming on before the mileage interval you set . . . you are going too long before oil changes.
One never damages an engine by changing the oil too frequently. Err in that direction. Or wear the engine out early by not changing soon enough.

Better be safe ... thats the way i do it
Old 01-15-2016, 07:10 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Lot's of good points in this thread.

I personally run Mobil1 Extended Performance (gold lid) 5w-30 with a Mobil1 Extended Performance filter.

As some have stated, the oil change reminder is a bit more advanced than you may realize. They incorporate sensors to test different variables. For more info, check out:

What is an oil life indicator? | HowStuffWorks

and

When it's Time For an Oil Change | Vehicle Feature Video | Official Ford Owner Site

Also, I know CAFE requirements are commonly stated as the reason for the 5w-20 recommendation from the factory, BUT.... I read an article on the 5.0 where the ENGINEER said they went with 5w-20 to reduce injector requirements.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT