Installing MGW shifter and changing trans oil. Can I do it in my garage? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2016, 12:10 AM   #1

Region: Europe
Installing MGW shifter and changing trans oil. Can I do it in my garage?

Hi all,

I'm from the UK and upgraded from my 05 V6 to a 2011 5.0 manual. Just waiting for it to arrive now. It's still running the stock shifter, and I can only imagine the stock trans fluid.

I plan to buy an MGW shifter (as long as they will ship to me) and I've located some Amsoil MTF in the UK. I've decided to go with that over MTG because let's be honest, it's the UK. The weather sucks.

Now I am able to use a garage with a hydraulic lift and such and I really want to install the shifter and change the oil myself because I don't trust my local garage with a $500 shifter.

I've read a ton of threads but I just need a definitive answer. Can I install the shifter and change the oil by myself?

What else will I need? Is it just the shifter, oil, a pump and tools, or are there other components and brackets that I need to get all this done? (I heard something about a trans mount but not sure if I need it).

I plan to do this literally as soon as the Mustang gets here because I don't fancy forking out for a new trans and shipping to the UK!

Any help and advice is appreciated.

On a side note, if you know anywhere I can get an MGW shifter shipped to the UK let me know, I really want one!
Dextas Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 06:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
You can do both of these jobs with no problem. Just take your time. Also be sure to watch the install videos on the MGW site. No special tools required. No additional bits needed if you are getting the latest version of the shifter. You will love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
This video is helpful for the tranny fluid change:
https://youtu.be/DA7BMUuBHJE

Rear dif is not that complicated to change either and if you don't know if it was ever done. Might be a good idea.

Here's a video link for that:
https://youtu.be/jIXoRbIIK_o

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
The MGW install is pretty easy. You can do it in your garage with ramps/stands. I was able to just put ramps under my front tires and do the install. It was tight fit, but if you're not fat, you'll be fine. Haha.

2013 GT/CS
TCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys. Yeah I just wanted to check that I didn't need anything else for the install. I think I'll give it a go myself then. I'll get a shift nob from MGW too they have some nice weighted ones on there. Just waiting for them to come back with a shipping quote for me. Will hopefully be on Monday.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
This video is helpful for the tranny fluid change:
https://youtu.be/DA7BMUuBHJE

Rear dif is not that complicated to change either and if you don't know if it was ever done. Might be a good idea.

Here's a video link for that:
https://youtu.be/jIXoRbIIK_o

Yeah I've seen that fluid change video before its really helpful I will be using that one when I do it!

I was wondering. Is there a way to tell the level of the fluid when I put it in? I just want to make sure I don't put in too little!
Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Just keep filling until it starts to overflow

Jza1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jza1736 View Post
Just keep filling until it starts to overflow

Roger! I thought that might be the case haha!
Old 01-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Good info already given Dextang. You can do it. Like Tcopp, I installed the MGW shifter with ramps and jack/stands. Going to change out the tranny fluid using the same set up.
Good luck!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Supporter

Region: Texas
You can definitely do the shifter install in your garage, we did mine today. Just watch the video and have a cold one.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Just did mine in my driveway. Hardest part was installing the 10mm head bolt. Had to pull down on driveshaft with one hand and install bolt in the other. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1453686889.399533.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	196184Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1453686889.399533.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	196184

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
Just did mine in my driveway. Hardest part was installing the 10mm head bolt. Had to pull down on driveshaft with one hand and install bolt in the other.]

The 10 mm hitting the side of the trans tunnel was fun. Had to hang on the driveshaft a bit as well. BUT, this is what we had the issue with:

We tried to get it loose for an hour.... Finally! We had tried almost everything except the air tools.

I wonder if there is a trans tunnel difference between the 11/12 and 13/14....?
Old 01-24-2016, 09:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I was able to fit my hands up there just enough to reach that 10mm bolt without pulling down on the tranny. Idk how, but I got it.

2013 GT/CS
Old 01-25-2016, 09:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
The 10 mm hitting the side of the trans tunnel was fun. Had to hang on the driveshaft a bit as well. BUT, this is what we had the issue with:

We tried to get it loose for an hour.... Finally! We had tried almost everything except the air tools.

I wonder if there is a trans tunnel difference between the 11/12 and 13/14....?
Which bit did you have difficulty removing? Was it the original bolt holding the linkage arm in place?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:14 AM   #15

Thanks for the help guys.

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones? I just have a standard set at the moment.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:54 AM   #16

Also I just got this email from Amsoil:

Will,

Thank you for your question. AMSOIL does not recommend either of these two products to be used in your 2011 Mustang GT manual transmission. They do not meet the performance specification requirements and so we would not support their use in your transmission for this reason. For the TR6060 manual transmission you will want to consider using the recommended AMSOIL Signature Series Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) that meets the Mercon 5 spec requirement. Even though this is a manual transmission, Ford calls for this specification and so the ATF is what we recommend and support. If you have the MT82 transmission AMSOIL does not have a product for you at this tim
Old 01-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Dex,

I used Redline MTL although they also do Not (or didn't recommend anything) and it was an improvement.

I'll give a couple of hints on the install...warm is better for draining but easier to burn your fingers on the exhaust. Make sure you can get to the fill before you drain the old fluid. I filled mine using a small tubing (3/8 or 5/16") stuck inside a funnel running from the top of the engine compartment to the fill port. I bought 3 qts and took out 10 oz = the 2.7 recommended qts. paper clip bent at a 90 deg makes a good check tool. When doing the shifter it's not too bad...watch the video's and take your time with the shift boot. I found it easier to bolt up the mounting bracket after installing the boot to give your self wiggle room. Do NOT over tighten the bracket as those studs are flimsy and can snap.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
Just did mine in my driveway. Hardest part was installing the 10mm head bolt. Had to pull down on driveshaft with one hand and install bolt in the other. Attachment 196184Attachment 196184

Looks like you used the jack to put all 4 ramps(rather than 2) in place. Was that to get the ramp portion facing another way.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I did that so I can use jack stands for extra support.

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM   #20
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextas Stang View Post
Which bit did you have difficulty removing? Was it the original bolt holding the linkage arm in place?

The original bolt. The one with the thread locker in the picture. It's on the top of the trans. Was slightly bent...
Old 01-25-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextas Stang View Post
Thanks for the help guys.

I was just thinking. Do you need to warm the car up first before changing the fluid? And how warm does it need to be? I will have to drive to the garage about 17 miles is that enough?

Also for getting the bolts out to instal the shifter on the trans. Would you say I need an extra long reach socket to get to it? Or one of those special bendy ones? I just have a standard set at the moment.
I don't remember needing any special tools. Most bolts on top I reached from inside the car. The bolts needed to be reached from under the car, I used an open end wrench and a lot of very small incremental turns! That was the biggest pita of the whole thing to me.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a ratchet wrench set it's much easier.

2013 GT/CS
Old 01-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
The original bolt. The one with the thread locker in the picture. It's on the top of the trans. Was slightly bent...
now how in the hell would that get bent??

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 PM   #24
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
now how in the hell would that get bent??

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
I am not the original owner of the car so I ain't sure. It wasn't majorly bent, just slightly enough to take forever to get out. Tight tolerance I guess. Ford assembly guy got pissed I guess. So happy the shifter is now.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I installed my MGW on a dirt driveway. Jack the car up... no problem.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT