Blinking Check Engine light - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Blinking Check Engine light

Hey guys, so I recently bought a used 2013 5.0. It was garage kept and has about 15k miles on it. So far its been great, but in the last two weeks the check engine light has flashed on three separate occasions. The first two times were just as the car was coming to a stop. I was not driving the car hard at all. The light flashed for about 5 seconds and then turned off. The car seemed fine, no sounds or vibrations. I thought it might have been some bad gas but tonight on my way home the light returned. I was on the highway in 5th gear at about 3k rpms. This time the flashing lasted for a good 30 seconds maybe longer. There was no noticeable difference. There was no power loss, nothing. The only thing noticeable was the light. I know a blinking check engine light means a misfire, but I don't think this is the case. I have been searching and reading about this problem but I can't seem to find a good solution. Has anyone found one yet? This has made me very worried.. Does anyone have any advice?
Tyd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Any mods on the car? Current tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing, the car is 100% stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2016, 11:53 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
A flashing check engine light is something more serious that one that stays on -- but if yours goes on and off, that is odd.
You can take your car for free to Checkers, Auto Zone, etc. and they will plug into your OBD II port to get your error code. They will then be able to tell you what is activating the check engine light -- again for free.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:09 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
2013?
15k miles?

Nothing to worry about. Your car is still under warranty. Just take it to your local Ford dealer and tell them to call you when they get it fixed.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:27 AM   #6
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
2013?
15k miles?

Nothing to worry about. Your car is still under warranty. Just take it to your local Ford dealer and tell them to call you when they get it fixed.
^^ This ^^
If you still have any warranty left on the car, take it in and have it diagnosed and repaired.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay! Thank you guys! Im going to stop by Auto Zone this morning and see if they can tell me what the issue is first. The factory warranty was transferred to me when I purchased the car so I believe I should be eligible for that. Hopefully Ford will be able to fix it. I don't want any issues before I start modifying the car because then Ford can just say it's something I did.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyd123 View Post
Okay! Thank you guys! Im going to stop by Auto Zone this morning and see if they can tell me what the issue is first. The factory warranty was transferred to me when I purchased the car so I believe I should be eligible for that. Hopefully Ford will be able to fix it. I don't want any issues before I start modifying the car because then Ford can just say it's something I did.
Why are you wasting your time taking a car under warranty to the idiots at Autozone?

Unless you already voided your warranty somehow...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:08 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Why are you wasting your time taking a car under warranty to the idiots at Autozone?

Unless you already voided your warranty somehow...
I actually had a second thought about that. Instead of bringing the car to Auto Zone. I brought it to my mechanic. They are one of the best in my area. On my way over the flashing light came back. It flashed a couple times and then stayed on for good. When my mechanic plugged in his scanner it said there was a random misfire. After he checked it out a little bit he disagreed. He said it was probably a sensor. He cleared the history just incase that was causing the issue and said to bring it to Ford soon.
Old 02-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I actually had a second thought about that. Instead of bringing the car to Auto Zone. I brought it to my mechanic. They are one of the best in my area. On my way over the flashing light came back. It flashed a couple times and then stayed on for good. When my mechanic plugged in his scanner it said there was a random misfire. After he checked it out a little bit he disagreed. He said it was probably a sensor. He cleared the history just incase that was causing the issue and said to bring it to Ford soon.
Take it to the dealership for Christ's sake.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #11

Region: Canada
Could be crank position sensor, i think Ford would replace it
jord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Blinking Check Engine light

Does your mechanic not have a misfire monitoring system on his DST?

Make every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Random misfire has a TSP out on 2013. Not necessarily the sensor. The dealer has to install an o ring and do a Profile Relearn. If this is the problem, running too long could cause problems with cats. With my random misfire fire, I ended with cat codes as well and then both of them had to be replaced.
Cobrakit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I agree get her to the Dealer, standard warranty is 3 years / 36K miles which ever comes 1st! So the 3 Year mark may be closer than you think since it is a 2013 may have been purchased in 2012.
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

His warranty is either voided or... I'm going to be nice. Paying a mechanic to diagnose it when the dealer will fix it for free... I like lighting money on fire too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbone007 View Post
I agree get her to the Dealer, standard warranty is 3 years / 36K miles which ever comes 1st! So the 3 Year mark may be closer than you think since it is a 2013 may have been purchased in 2012.
The "bumper to bumper" warranty is 3 years/36k miles.
The power train warranty is 5 years/60k miles.
Old 02-02-2016, 01:09 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

I was just about to mention this. Although it does help when it's in the 3yr 36 range because then there is no separation where they try to say it's some other part that isn't covered under the 5yr 60.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Don't drive on a flashing engine light. Major misfire. You can ruin your catalytic converters.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
His warranty is either voided or... I'm going to be nice. Paying a mechanic to diagnose it when the dealer will fix it for free... I like lighting money on fire too.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
My mechanic does this for free. Not wasting any money here. I still have my warranty. The car is going to Ford tomorrow.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobrakit View Post
Random misfire has a TSP out on 2013. Not necessarily the sensor. The dealer has to install an o ring and do a Profile Relearn. If this is the problem, running too long could cause problems with cats. With my random misfire fire, I ended with cat codes as well and then both of them had to be replaced.

I had the same issue I brought the tsb to ford and they replaced the O ring in 30 minutes no questions.

Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 06:30 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
For emissions equipment or related failures, the manufacturers are on the hook for even more miles, I think it's 80K miles in some states.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 07:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanp94 View Post
I had the same issue I brought the tsb to ford and they replaced the O ring in 30 minutes no questions.

What exactly is the tsb?
Old 02-02-2016, 08:05 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
What exactly is the tsb?
Technical Service Bulletin
Not to be confused with a recall.
Typically outlines a known problem and the appropriate fix for same.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Memory serves me, TSB 13-6-15
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So just a quick update. It turns out my 3 year 36k mile warranty isn't good anymore. The car was purchased in September of 2012. I spoke to Ford and they said it could cost around $500 to fix... I think thats a little ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Not covered under powertrain?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Should be under the powertrain warranty
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Should be under the powertrain warranty
Apparently it is not covered under the powertrain warranty, which I thought was odd... Could Ford just be bs-ing me?
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Apparently it is not covered under the powertrain warranty, which I thought was odd... Could Ford just be bs-ing me?
If the PT warranty transferred over, which I'm pretty sure you said it did, then yes they are. Take it to a different dealer.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What did they say is wrong with the car?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Warranty work for TSB was $116 for diagnostics and $70 for repair. But the cat codes 0420 and 0430 much, much more. Did someone pull codes for you and did they check Pending codes? I would think cats should be covered longer because part of emissions.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:49 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well one dealership said they would have to look at the car first to see if they can do it under warranty.. meaning if it's no good I'd have to pay for them just to look at it. So I didn't even bother with them. I called another dealer and they sounded like they were more familiar with the issue, but said it wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty. The Ford dealerships in my area are pretty sketchy. I'll have to talk to another one. It all depends on who you talk to.
Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
How do you know it's stock if you bought it used? Something's not adding up here.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:28 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

That^ It could have been set back to stock
Old 02-03-2016, 04:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well one dealership said they would have to look at the car first to see if they can do it under warranty.. meaning if it's no good I'd have to pay for them just to look at it. So I didn't even bother with them. I called another dealer and they sounded like they were more familiar with the issue, but said it wouldn't be covered under the powertrain warranty. The Ford dealerships in my area are pretty sketchy. I'll have to talk to another one. It all depends on who you talk to.
These sound like typical answers when you call around to repair shops, asking for estimates for a problem that you are describing over the telephone. They don't like to commit to a solid answer until they can actually diagnose the problem themselves. It saves them from the throngs of people who who are disappointed when they bring the car to get repaired, and are told that the problem is something completely different than their "self-diagnosis". Especially the dealerships when it comes to warranty repairs. Someone might tell them that the check engine light is flashing, but conveniently forget to mention that the car was recently submerged in 3 feet of water!

If your car has a problem with a misfire, or there is some other problem with the engine management system or emissions system, it is very likely that the repairs will be covered under the factory power train warranty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
check engine