exhaust opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-06-2016, 10:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
exhaust opinions

I have the flowmaster outlaws on my car 2011 gt auto,liked them at first but now not so much,too much drone. i was looking at the gt 500 mufflers.my car is stock.my question is are the gt 500 mufflers a better choice? and do you think i could get my $250.00 back on the flowmaters i purchased used?
bigmamaluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
exhaust opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmamaluke View Post
I have the flowmaster outlaws on my car 2011 gt auto,liked them at first but now not so much,too much drone. i was looking at the gt 500 mufflers.my car is stock.my question is are the gt 500 mufflers a better choice? and do you think i could get my $250.00 back on the flowmaters i purchased used?

You won't have drone...not sure anyone can tell you if it's a good choice for you. Are you looking for a loud exhaust that has no drone? If that's the case get a quality setup. Borla, magnaflow, corsa, roush.

You prob can get a few hundred for the dronemasters
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

dont want it super loud, but louder than stock,the flowmasters drone so bad on startup that my rearview mirror rattles! just hope i can unload these and get something a little more sedate by the time i start driving the car again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I went with the Borla touring axle back, 0% drone and have gotten louder after
6 months, well worth the $ spent.Huge improvement over stock.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
dont want it super loud, but louder than stock,the flowmasters drone so bad on startup that my rearview mirror rattles! just hope i can unload these and get something a little more sedate by the time i start driving the car again.
Based on what you're looking for, I think the GT500s are the perfect choice. I switched from Roush to GT500 - love them. Nice rumble at idle, quiet at cruising, but pretty loud under heavy throttle, which is perfect in my opinion. Absolutely zero drone. Plus they're OEM quality, obviously.

Hodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

Why not just go with one of their models that aren't so aggressive like the American Thunder or for a little less volume the 40 series mufflers.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Drago1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

we just took in a 2011 gt at the bodyshop i work at,as soon as i heard the car start up i knew that was the sound i was looking for,what do ya know it has the gt 500 mufflers on it,my search is over they sound killer! thanks for all the input.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Performance Exhaust System | Axle Back Exhaust System 5.0L Ford Mustang GT ( 2011-2014 ) | Performance Exhaust System

As loud as the flowmaster but no drone. I had GT500s before I had these.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Only you know what you will like. Sometimes I want to switch back to the gt500's, but I'm going to stick with my Rouch for a while since I like them both. GT500's sound great with longtubes and xpipe.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famine View Post
Only you know what you will like. Sometimes I want to switch back to the gt500's, but I'm going to stick with my Rouch for a while since I like them both. GT500's sound great with longtubes and xpipe.

I'm about to buy roush , would they drone or sound like crap with off-road x ? I have muffler deletes on a stock setup right now and I can't handle the drone anymore .

Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith129 View Post
I'm about to buy roush , would they drone or sound like crap with off-road x ? I have muffler deletes on a stock setup right now and I can't handle the drone anymore .

It depends on the person honestly. It drones, but for me with the 331 gears, I drive normal, and I can stand it, but when I'm accelerating, it is definitely loud. GT500s for quiet, and Roush for loud. I won't go with any other setup other than those two.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I had roush, they sound great but they are too loud and didn't want to attract too much attention. Sold them because I started to see rust on them after 4 months of use. So I ended up with these, they sound perfect Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455904812.687034.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	197223

Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
I had roush, they sound great but they are too loud and didn't want to attract too much attention. Sold them because I started to see rust on them after 4 months of use. So I ended up with these, they sound perfect Attachment 197223

That's also what I'm worried about is them rusting. I heard someone mention that they resolved the issue but I want a first hand opinion of them not rusting . Because 400 bucks is cheap for exhaust but not if I'm going to be buying a new set two years from now .

Old 02-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the new ones had a hole on the bottom of the axle back for any water that's inside to get out. Still had rust issues, I think it won't be an issue if the car is garaged and doesn't see any rain.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlp07 View Post
Yeah the new ones had a hole on the bottom of the axle back for any water that's inside to get out. Still had rust issues, I think it won't be an issue if the car is garaged and doesn't see any rain.

Thanks for the input

Old 02-19-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on switching from my Outlaws to some GT500s when I go catless x-pipe. However, I was able to greatly reduce the low frequency drone volume by deleting my intake sound tube and stuffing a bean bag chair in the trunk (bean bag chair doesn't make a big difference, very minimal)
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Keep in mind...
There are two grades of stainless steel commonly used in exhaust systems:

1. 409 stainless. 409 has become the defacto material of choice for most new vehicle manufacturers, mostly because it offers an excellent compromise between strength, resistance to corrosion, and cost. A 409 stainless steel exhaust system should last at least 8 years in almost all climates and weather conditions, but it won’t last forever.

2. 304 stainless. 304 is sometimes referred to as “marine grade” stainless because it is very resistant to corrosion from salt water. As you can imagine, an exhaust system made from 304 stainless steel can last a very, very long time. Borla, an exhaust manufacturer that is famous for offering a 1 million mile warranty, uses 304 stainless steel exclusively.

304 stainless is also nice because it can hold a polish – something that 409 stainless can’t do. Of course, no stainless steel exhaust system can maintain a polished look unless it’s very clean…which means most people will never notice the difference.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I had a 2011 GT which I thought only had Roush Axle backs and the sound was NASCAR loud and extremely aggressive..also droned so bad no matter what speed or gear unless you were coasting...I could barely stand the drone even with stereo help... I bashed those folks that said Roush doesn't drone at all and said you're insane...it's alllll drone and the rest of the world hears NASCAR. Sweet but a definite unpleasant ride when you want quiet...
Oh I was the idiot.... I did not realize that it was Roush Axle backs AND resonator delete and may even had an Xpipe...I was a newbie and didn't know I didn't know....
Then I got a 14 GT with just Roush Axle backs..nothing else...still had resonators and all factory. It sure does sound good BUT sounds nothing like the 2011. I have ZERO drone. There is definelty more noise back there but it's no at all something bothersome... All those posts about no drone were true but i thought mine was just AB also...
So now I'm wondering... I kinda miss that NASCAR sound the 11 had...like a crazy woman that makes you melt into a puddle but then treats you like a dog later..... It was really irritating some times but you start missing that super thang and maybe she wasn't that horrible after all.
You guys think I'll get that sound if I now do resonator delete too or was that most likely a Xpipe type thing it had to be that crazy loud. You could hear at at least a mile or more away if it was being flogged hard and in a country type area very rural. It may have even been about 2 miles away and clearly sounded like a sweet Muscle car getting on it but also there was no other noise, traffic, civilization etc.
What's your guess as to what I had other than Roush Axle backs and resonator delete..? Is res delete going to change it that crazy much or probably I had way more than I understood. Yes I feel stupid now that learned more and posted ignorant comments while not even studying first. I know now that just because it definelty has Roush axle backs and you see them but don't actually get under and see what else is factory or different then you should not think you know what you have after buying it used and not fully learned what the car should look like, what a resonator even is... Or if you are too smart for your own good.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Keep in mind...

There are two grades of stainless steel commonly used in exhaust systems:

1. 409 stainless. 409 has become the defacto material of choice for most new vehicle manufacturers, mostly because it offers an excellent compromise between strength, resistance to corrosion, and cost. A 409 stainless steel exhaust system should last at least 8 years in almost all climates and weather conditions, but it won’t last forever.

2. 304 stainless. 304 is sometimes referred to as “marine grade” stainless because it is very resistant to corrosion from salt water. As you can imagine, an exhaust system made from 304 stainless steel can last a very, very long time. Borla, an exhaust manufacturer that is famous for offering a 1 million mile warranty, uses 304 stainless steel exclusively.

304 stainless is also nice because it can hold a polish – something that 409 stainless can’t do. Of course, no stainless steel exhaust system can maintain a polished look unless it’s very clean…which means most people will never notice the difference.

This is what happens when you polish a borla muffler that was used. Looks better than new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455937972.432183.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	197251

Before:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455938096.658463.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	197252
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #20
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
I had a 2011 GT which I thought only had Roush Axle backs and the sound was NASCAR loud and extremely aggressive..also droned so bad no matter what speed or gear unless you were coasting...I could barely stand the drone even with stereo help... I bashed those folks that said Roush doesn't drone at all and said you're insane...it's alllll drone and the rest of the world hears NASCAR. Sweet but a definite unpleasant ride when you want quiet...
Oh I was the idiot.... I did not realize that it was Roush Axle backs AND resonator delete and may even had an Xpipe...I was a newbie and didn't know I didn't know....
Then I got a 14 GT with just Roush Axle backs..nothing else...still had resonators and all factory. It sure does sound good BUT sounds nothing like the 2011. I have ZERO drone. There is definelty more noise back there but it's no at all something bothersome... All those posts about no drone were true but i thought mine was just AB also...
So now I'm wondering... I kinda miss that NASCAR sound the 11 had...like a crazy woman that makes you melt into a puddle but then treats you like a dog later..... It was really irritating some times but you start missing that super thang and maybe she wasn't that horrible after all.
You guys think I'll get that sound if I now do resonator delete too or was that most likely a Xpipe type thing it had to be that crazy loud. You could hear at at least a mile or more away if it was being flogged hard and in a country type area very rural. It may have even been about 2 miles away and clearly sounded like a sweet Muscle car getting on it but also there was no other noise, traffic, civilization etc.
What's your guess as to what I had other than Roush Axle backs and resonator delete..? Is res delete going to change it that crazy much or probably I had way more than I understood. Yes I feel stupid now that learned more and posted ignorant comments while not even studying first. I know now that just because it definelty has Roush axle backs and you see them but don't actually get under and see what else is factory or different then you should not think you know what you have after buying it used and not fully learned what the car should look like, what a resonator even is... Or if you are too smart for your own good.
I think this sounds great.
Sorry the video is recorded sideways and no editting.

Xpipe to answer your question
Old 02-22-2016, 09:49 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I originally had the Roush AB with resonators on my 14 GT and while it sounded very good, it got to be too loud and annoying at times and I was starting to get a little drone at about 2,000 rpms.

I then switched to the GT500 single tip AB with resonators and while it wasn't as loud as the Roush system, it sounded very good and more of what I wanted.

I then started reading that GT500's with resonator delete was the best sound so when I had a change to buy a set of GT500 OTA pipes with no resonators, I jumped on it and now my exhaust sounds perfect to me. Quiet when I want it to be and great sound when I get on it. Plus no drone and factory durability. I get compliments all of the time on this setup.

I like it so much that I bought a second set of new GT 500 mufflers for a great price just in case mine get damaged or eventually rust out.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:57 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

My Magnaflow street quads are so quiet even at WOT, There's almost no vids of these axle backs with any x, h pipes or resonator deletes. Don't really know which route to go.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:13 AM   #23

Region: Ohio
Does anybody have part numbers for the GT500 mufflers? When I look at the GT500 mufflers on JEGS website I get two different numbers for the 2012. One is $400 and the other is $750 and these are both Ford Parts.

Thanks, Erik
Erik1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

M5230MGTCA1 is the Ford Racing part number for the single tip GT 500 AB. These are the ones that sell for around $400.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #25

Region: Ohio
Mufflers

Are those stock replacement then? My buddy works at Ford dealer and his discounted price is $363 per muffler!!
Erik1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I bought Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quads - absolutely great sound and no drone! Worth every penny. I had to get the rear valance as well. I was lucky with the California Special I didn't have to cut the bumper at all. - I have a 2014 GT/CS
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 05:45 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have long tubes and orx pipe no resonators and lethal performance over the axle pipes and gt500 mufflers and the sound is amazing loud at start up, quiet at cruising and loud as hell at wot, love them
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:37 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik1972 View Post
Are those stock replacement then? My buddy works at Ford dealer and his discounted price is $363 per muffler!!
Don't buy the ones from the dealer. They are expensive. Buy the Ford Racing ones from somewhere like latemodelrestoration.com They are just like the factory ones but are $406 for the pair. They say "Ford" on them and have Ford part numbers.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #29

Region: New York
after endless reading and listening to exhausts both in person and on youtube, I heard an exhaust I loved and asked the owner what he had. All he said was "MBRP."
I went and found this video:

Last week I installed the MBRP Catback Race Series stainless steel exhaust.

Oh my.

It sounds like thunder.

It has a DEEP, aggressive note. No rasp at all.

I rarely see this exhaust setup mentioned, but feel it blows away all of the mainstream choices.

Give it a listen. The video gives a very accurate, fair representation of the real world sound.
GT CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:04 PM   #30

Region: Canada
Does it have any drone at 2000 rpm's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT CS View Post
after endless reading and listening to exhausts both in person and on youtube, I heard an exhaust I loved and asked the owner what he had. All he said was "MBRP."

Oh my.

It sounds like thunder.

I rarely see this exhaust setup mentioned, but feel it blows away all of the mainstream choices.

Give it a listen. The video gives a very accurate, fair representation of the real world sound.
Ozzydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
I originally had the Roush AB with resonators on my 14 GT and while it sounded very good, it got to be too loud and annoying at times and I was starting to get a little drone at about 2,000 rpms.

I then switched to the GT500 single tip AB with resonators and while it wasn't as loud as the Roush system, it sounded very good and more of what I wanted.

I then started reading that GT500's with resonator delete was the best sound so when I had a change to buy a set of GT500 OTA pipes with no resonators, I jumped on it and now my exhaust sounds perfect to me. Quiet when I want it to be and great sound when I get on it. Plus no drone and factory durability. I get compliments all of the time on this setup.

I like it so much that I bought a second set of new GT 500 mufflers for a great price just in case mine get damaged or eventually rust out.
You happen to have a video?
Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT CS View Post

Oh my.

It sounds like thunder.

MBRP rusted on my tundra in a couple years, but it was south Dakota driving. So if that's a concern, keep that in mind.
Old 03-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #33

Region: New York
Yes, Ozzydog, initially they had a drone at 2000 when in 6th gear. For some reason that I can't explain, it seems to have gone away quite a bit. Or maybe I've just lost some hearing in both ears.
GT CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I have roush ab's, no resonators, and pypes x pipe. A whole lot of people dont like that setup. It sounds amazing. No drone. Although the x pipe did quiet it down and change the tome

Sent from my SM-N920T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrdnsky59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust