Borla exhaust part#140389 will NOT fit 13-14 GT? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Borla exhaust part#140389 will NOT fit 13-14 GT?

Maybe I can get some better insight from members of this forum. I was ready to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and chose to go with the Borla 3 inch catback complete with x-pipe and mufflers. If you look at AmericanMuscle.com, they claim it will fit the 11-14 GT and 11-12 GT500. I decided to turn to the Borla website because they have sound clips on the Borla Touring, S-type and Atak mufflers. When I looked at the website, I could not find that part number (140389) to match up with my 2013 GT. I just wanted to hear the clips before making a final decision. Come to find out, their website claims part#140389, which is the 3 inch exhaust, will NOT fit a 13-14 GT, ONLY the 11-12 GT. Ok fine. I decided to give Borla a call and spoke to some guy who's name I did not catch and get this; he confirmed that the exhaust on the 13-14 mustang GT's is completely different from the 11-12 GT's. When I asked him what the difference is between the 12 and 13 GT, he said, "I couldn't tell you, I have no idea, but it will not fit". He said I'd run into problems for sure and added that they don't even make a 3 inch exhaust for the 13-14 GT. Are you kidding me? Shortly after this, I called AmericanMuscle.com and as usual, spoke with a friendly staff member. He said he knows for a fact the 3 inch Borla will fit because they have tested it on the 13-14 GT. He was shocked that the rep at Borla insisted that the part number was not the correct one for my 13 mustang. My question is, do any of you guys have this particular 3 inch Borla exhaust, with X-pipe, on your 13-14 GT's? If so, what problems did you run into? What is the difference between the 11-12 and 13-14 GT with regards to the factory exhaust? Thanks guys, I appreciate any thoughts on this.
2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Superstang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If I remember correctly it was that the tips on the 11-12 system ended up sticking out further on a 13-14. Borla originally sold the kits stating 11-14 but after some disappointments on the figment "tips too long" they actually were sending out a replacement set to those that had purchased the previous setup. I have Borla touring on my '13 paired with an off-road H pipe. Mine were purchased after the fact I believe because they do not hang out and fit just right. I do not recall part #'s nor do I have the boxes or receipts around anymore to verify but that's what I know about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKBETTY13 View Post
If I remember correctly it was that the tips on the 11-12 system ended up sticking out further on a 13-14. Borla originally sold the kits stating 11-14 but after some disappointments on the figment "tips too long" they actually were sending out a replacement set to those that had purchased the previous setup. I have Borla touring on my '13 paired with an off-road H pipe. Mine were purchased after the fact I believe because they do not hang out and fit just right. I do not recall part #'s nor do I have the boxes or receipts around anymore to verify but that's what I know about that.

Because of the exhaust tips? I'm surprised they haven't corrected such a minor flaw. Let me ask you, the Borla touring you have is the 2 3/4 inch exhaust, correct? Because the guy at Borla said they do NOT make a 3 inch exhaust for the 13-14 models, only a 2 3/4. Which is why I was asking if something in the undercarriage prevents a proper fitment for a 3 inch pipe. But yet, you have Flowmaster, Bassani and other brands that offer a 3 inch exhaust for the 13-14 GT. I don't know what the deal is with Borla.
2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 04:26 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
It will fit. As stated before, it's just the tip length (that's what she said)
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I only purchase the axel back kit. I'm running the stock over axel pipes.

BLKBETTY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:55 PM   #6

Interesting. But yet nowhere on their website does it show the corrected 3 inch version for the 13-14. Now, I'm not sure if I want the tips to stick out. I guess I can have the shop modify the axel back part of it, if its even possible. Anyone know how much they stick out? I'd like to see some pics if possible, thanks.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
It will fit. As stated before, it's just the tip length (that's what she said)

😂😂😂

2014oxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 01:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Smile 11-12 stuff fits...

I am sure people were nick picky and got the ball rolling..
I had a set of 11-12 Flowmaster 817496 409S mufflers. ( loved the sounded, hated the drone..) They fit without an issue. I am sure its the same way.
When i bought mine there wasn't a lot out specking out for the 2013 GT's and what was out there was $$$$.. I bought these for 300 to the door now they are 450.00 I sold them used for 300.

Anyway I am sure its a matter of perfect fitment in someones eyes and nothing more.. To much interchanges between the 2011-2014's.. Just my 2 cents..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Super - Welcome to Mevo. I saw your other post and I'll comment there shortly.

That's definitely on the odd side that their rep said it wouldn't fit as well...Take a look below.

Behold a 13-14!

I've heard around here about the tips sticking out slightly further but I don't think it's enough to warrant not getting a system that sounds great considering that they really don't poke that far.

Here's a few few reviews from 13-14 owners that didn't mention anything about the fitment. I'd take their comments with a small grain of salt. Those guys need to be knowledgeable on not only Mustangs but about like 20 other makes/models

Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope this alleviates some concern.

Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Alex, are those 4.5" tips? Look a little small?
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Super - Welcome to Mevo. I saw your other post and I'll comment there shortly.

That's definitely on the odd side that their rep said it wouldn't fit as well...Take a look below.

Behold a 13-14!

I've heard around here about the tips sticking out slightly further but I don't think it's enough to warrant not getting a system that sounds great considering that they really don't poke that far.

Here's a few few reviews from 13-14 owners that didn't mention anything about the fitment. I'd take their comments with a small grain of salt. Those guys need to be knowledgeable on not only Mustangs but about like 20 other makes/models

Let me know if you have any other questions and I hope this alleviates some concern.

Thanks Alex, it does alleviate some concern, but judging by the photo, it looks like the right tip sticks out a bit more than the left, could be the angle the photo was taken. They don't look too bad, but I'm going to have to think about it. I guess I'm one of those that's "nicky picky". I figured since it's 2016, they'd make the necessary corrections and offer a 3 inch pipe for 13-14 owners. Thank you guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:13 PM   #12

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstang5oh View Post
Maybe I can get some better insight from members of this forum. I was ready to purchase an aftermarket exhaust and chose to go with the Borla 3 inch catback complete with x-pipe and mufflers. If you look at AmericanMuscle.com, they claim it will fit the 11-14 GT and 11-12 GT500. I decided to turn to the Borla website because they have sound clips on the Borla Touring, S-type and Atak mufflers. When I looked at the website, I could not find that part number (140389) to match up with my 2013 GT. I just wanted to hear the clips before making a final decision. Come to find out, their website claims part#140389, which is the 3 inch exhaust, will NOT fit a 13-14 GT, ONLY the 11-12 GT. Ok fine. I decided to give Borla a call and spoke to some guy who's name I did not catch and get this; he confirmed that the exhaust on the 13-14 mustang GT's is completely different from the 11-12 GT's. When I asked him what the difference is between the 12 and 13 GT, he said, "I couldn't tell you, I have no idea, but it will not fit". He said I'd run into problems for sure and added that they don't even make a 3 inch exhaust for the 13-14 GT. Are you kidding me? Shortly after this, I called AmericanMuscle.com and as usual, spoke with a friendly staff member. He said he knows for a fact the 3 inch Borla will fit because they have tested it on the 13-14 GT. He was shocked that the rep at Borla insisted that the part number was not the correct one for my 13 mustang. My question is, do any of you guys have this particular 3 inch Borla exhaust, with X-pipe, on your 13-14 GT's? If so, what problems did you run into? What is the difference between the 11-12 and 13-14 GT with regards to the factory exhaust? Thanks guys, I appreciate any thoughts on this.
Hey Ben, my name is Lisa and I work at Borla. I am sorry that someone who works here told you that they didn't know why our part wouldn't fit your 2013 GT. To clarify and set the record straight, Part #140389 was in fact made for the 11-12 GT... However, the system will fit on the 13-14 GT, but the tips do stick out about 1" further because the 13-14 GT bumper is shaped differently from the 11-12 GT bumper. Some people don't mind the look and choose to buy it for their 13-14 GT because they want the 3" system, but other people think the tips look weird when they stick out 1" further so they don't like it. While the 3" systems sound great on modified Mustangs, we did not sell enough to justify creating a new system for the 13-14 GT. If you need any more information, please let our Customer Service Manager, Chris, know: chrisb@borla.com. Best of luck and thank you for your interest in Borla!
Lisa at Borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa at Borla View Post
Hey Ben, my name is Lisa and I work at Borla. I am sorry that someone who works here told you that they didn't know why our part wouldn't fit your 2013 GT. To clarify and set the record straight, Part #140389 was in fact made for the 11-12 GT... However, the system will fit on the 13-14 GT, but the tips do stick out about 1" further because the 13-14 GT bumper is shaped differently from the 11-12 GT bumper. Some people don't mind the look and choose to buy it for their 13-14 GT because they want the 3" system, but other people think the tips look weird when they stick out 1" further so they don't like it. While the 3" systems sound great on modified Mustangs, we did not sell enough to justify creating a new system for the 13-14 GT. If you need any more information, please let our Customer Service Manager, Chris, know: chrisb@borla.com. Best of luck and thank you for your interest in Borla!
Oh wow, thank you for that Lisa. It's nice to hear someone from Borla comment on this issue. Maybe you can clarify something else, another member from another mustang forum said someone at Borla told him that due to the tips sticking out more, the heat of the exhaust was causing the rear valence to melt. Sounds crazy, first time I hear of this. Reason I want to go with the Borla; Prior experience. I had a complete system on my 2004 Mach 1, which I no longer own. Lastly, would you recommend modifying the exhaust so that the tips don't stick out too much?
Old 02-10-2016, 10:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Oh wow, thank you for that Lisa. It's nice to hear someone from Borla comment on this issue. Maybe you can clarify something else, another member from another mustang forum said someone at Borla told him that due to the tips sticking out more, the heat of the exhaust was causing the rear valence to melt. Sounds crazy, first time I hear of this. Reason I want to go with the Borla; Prior experience. I had a complete system on my 2004 Mach 1, which I no longer own. Lastly, would you recommend modifying the exhaust so that the tips don't stick out too much?
Hey Ben,
No problem! We are glad to be of help.
It's actually the other way around... If the tips are too short then they could melt the rear valence, but in this case, the tips are 1" longer so you're good. It's really up to you if you want to modify the exhaust so that the tips don't stick out too far.. It's personal preference and will not affect the function (performance, sound, etc.) of the exhaust. Just make sure you don't make it too short if you do decide to modify it!
Thank you for supporting the Borla brand! It's great to hear that you liked our system when you had one on your Mach 1 and we appreciate you thinking of us for your GT!
Old 02-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #15
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Alex, are those 4.5" tips? Look a little small?
Beviking - Looks can be deceiving, especially the angle but they're definitely 4.5"

Quote:
Thanks Alex, it does alleviate some concern, but judging by the photo, it looks like the right tip sticks out a bit more than the left, could be the angle the photo was taken. They don't look too bad, but I'm going to have to think about it. I guess I'm one of those that's "nicky picky". I figured since it's 2016, they'd make the necessary corrections and offer a 3 inch pipe for 13-14 owners. Thank you guys, I appreciate the feedback.
Superstang5oh - Anytime.
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa at Borla View Post
Hey Ben,
No problem! We are glad to be of help.
It's actually the other way around... If the tips are too short then they could melt the rear valence, but in this case, the tips are 1" longer so you're good. It's really up to you if you want to modify the exhaust so that the tips don't stick out too far.. It's personal preference and will not affect the function (performance, sound, etc.) of the exhaust. Just make sure you don't make it too short if you do decide to modify it!
Thank you for supporting the Borla brand! It's great to hear that you liked our system when you had one on your Mach 1 and we appreciate you thinking of us for your GT!
Lisa, I have two more questions (hopefully your still looking at this thread). Does this system have resonators? What type of mufflers does this system come with, example, S-type, Touring, Atak? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have this system and yes, it has resonators. Lisa will correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that the mufflers themselves were s-type and the resonators quiet the system so the system is a touring level sound.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #18

Quote:
I have this system and yes, it has resonators. Lisa will correct me if I'm wrong but it was my understanding that the mufflers themselves were s-type and the resonators quiet the system so the system is a touring level sound.
Thanks bro. You know what though, I really want that 3 inch exhaust, but I just saw a video on YouTube today where the exhaust tips do look funny sticking out, in my opinion. Some like it, some don't. They do offer a 2.75 inch in the S-type, but doesn't seem much of an upgrade when everyone else offers 3 inch catbacks.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, it's your car, if you don't like it, don't put them on.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #20

Quote:
Lisa, I have two more questions (hopefully your still looking at this thread). Does this system have resonators? What type of mufflers does this system come with, example, S-type, Touring, Atak? Thanks.
Quote:
Hey Guys,
Part # 140389 has resonators and mufflers that were designed to work together to create an S-Type Sound Level. These resonators and mufflers are only used in this exhaust system. (See the photos below for more info.)

Mustang GT/ Shelby Mustang GT500 2011-2012 Cat-Back Exhaust S-Type part # 140389
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140389_xlarge-text.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	197184   Click image for larger version

Name:	BORLA Sound Technologies.png
Views:	88
Size:	767.2 KB
ID:	197185  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust