2011 Mustang GT wheels & Tires - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2011 Mustang GT wheels & Tires

I have a 2011 Mustang GT (not premium) Red Candy Metallic 2Dr. hard top, Roush dual mufflers with original wheels (18 x 8) & original Pirelli pzero nero all season tires 255-45 x 18

Like to get new wheels and tires. How big can I go for a more AGGRESSIVE look without getting much out of proportion and more importantly without causing ANY rubbing , break ***'y. issues, speedometer issues, computer sensing issues, handling issues, etc.
I was considering 20" tires & wheels since 19" is almost more expensive because of lack of choices. Like to have chrome wheels.
I am only driving this car for pleasure and looks, no racing/track
(I am 74, but feel like 21 when I'm driving this Mustang.)

Any input is greatly appreciated, John
jgreen523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I know that you said that you are not interested in 19s but just for information purposes, I am running 255/40-19 in front and 285/35-19 in the rear with no problems at all. My car is lowered 1" in front and 1 1/4" in the rear. The tire diameter is very close to stock so I have no problems with the speedo. Handling is better because of the lower profile. FYI - I'm a lot closer to your age than to the 21 that we both feel when driving. I personally don't like the 20's. I think that the profile is just too small. I had to think long and hard before moving to 19s. But that's just me.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen523 View Post
I have a 2011 Mustang GT (not premium) Red Candy Metallic 2Dr. hard top, Roush dual mufflers with original wheels (18 x 8) & original Pirelli pzero nero all season tires 255-45 x 18

Like to get new wheels and tires. How big can I go for a more AGGRESSIVE look without getting much out of proportion and more importantly without causing ANY rubbing , break ***'y. issues, speedometer issues, computer sensing issues, handling issues, etc.
I was considering 20" tires & wheels since 19" is almost more expensive because of lack of choices. Like to have chrome wheels.

Hi John

I, like Robostang, am not a fan of the 20" wheels. Although my stock tires are 255/40-19, I would definitely consider 18's when it comes time to make a change.
In your case, the 255-45 x 18 are 27" in diameter and have a nominal width of 10". Not a bad looking width, as far as I am concerned.
Now you can go to a wider tire in 18" wheels but you would have to go with wider rims to accommodate them.
One option, while sticking with the same diameter tires, so you don't have to worry about speedometer correction, etc., is 285/40R18, which is 11.2" wide.
Of course you have to decide if you want to go staggered as did Robostang, keeping his front tire size as they were. You could do the same. I'm not hung up on the need to be able to rotate tires front to back, etc.
But I definitely wouldn't keep using those Pirelli pzero nero all season tires, assuming you'd be upgrading to a better traction tire. I think those Pirelli AS tires are terrible, from my own personal experience with them. I have them for winter driving only. Thank goodness it's just to get my Mustang out to stretch her legs once in a while.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

2011 Mustang GT Tire sized

Thank you fellows for your input. You guys gave me some good pointers to think about.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 PM   #5
Supporter

Region: Texas
I also have a 2011 Base GT (Kona Blue though). I love the stock wheels because it looked like a "blue collar" guy's Mustang and that is pretty much who I am. I put some Dark stainless SVE rims (19x9.5) wrapped in 275/35/19 Nittos all the way around and it really did change the look of my car, which I enjoy it. I bought a tuner (X4) from American Muscle/Bama. That corrected my speed along with disabling the horrid skip shift. I need a 40 sidewall though.

I am pretty close to your wishful age, loving every minute of it.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I would suggest upgrading to the 2015 stock silver/gray wheels.

2015 Ford Mustang Oem 18" Magnetic Gloss Wheels With Pirelli 235/50/zr18 Tires | Mustang Forums at StangNet

They look stunning on the 11-14 cars, and look exactly like custom rims from a distance. They also make the car look a lot darker and higher contrast - all while being practically tossed away as take-offs all over Craigslist and Ebay and other sites.

I purchased mine for $700, or about $100 more than the cost of new tires. Then sold my old rims for $150. Yes, that's $550 cash. Best "upgrade" to my car I've done so far.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOberlander View Post
I would suggest upgrading to the 2015 stock silver/gray wheels.

2015 Ford Mustang Oem 18" Magnetic Gloss Wheels With Pirelli 235/50/zr18 Tires | Mustang Forums at StangNet

They look stunning on the 11-14 cars, and look exactly like custom rims from a distance. They also make the car look a lot darker and higher contrast - all while being practically tossed away as take-offs all over Craigslist and Ebay and other sites.

I purchased mine for $700, or about $100 more than the cost of new tires. Then sold my old rims for $150. Yes, that's $550 cash. Best "upgrade" to my car I've done so far.
Definitely nice looking wheels. However, OP currently has 255/45R18 and was looking into going wider.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:15 PM   #8

Region: Canada
i have a 2011 GT with 20" and NITTO EXTREME PERFORMANCE NT555 TIRE - 275/35-20

no issues with brakes rubbing or anything
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150519_191039.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	855.7 KB
ID:	196972  
Capotosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 03:28 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The original poster could go wider or larger, that's true, but consider his post:
He's interested in looks, no speedometer mods, and I would suspect, a daily driver ride.

Any of the newer OEM rims would do that - they look more aggressive than the old designs, the P Zero tires are essentially the same, it has a chome look ( as opposed to silver paint), and nothing needs to be re-calibrated. It's a ninja bolt-on upgrade for very little cost, which is why I recommended it.

I didn't even have to get mine re-balanced. They tested it but they were spot-on from the factory.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm still looking for tires and wheels. I'm finally zeroing in on the :
2010 GT500 Style Chrome Wheel - 19x10 from Americanmustle.com and Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season Tires 275/40-19 for looks and mainly summer driving. Can I leave everything at factory settings ?? What do you guys think ??
Old 03-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
I'm still looking for tires and wheels. I'm finally zeroing in on the :
2010 GT500 Style Chrome Wheel - 19x10 from Americanmustle.com and Pirelli P-Zero Nero All Season Tires 275/40-19 for looks and mainly summer driving. Can I leave everything at factory settings ?? What do you guys think ??

The rims would fit perfectly but a 10'' rim inside of a 275 tire is cutting it really close.....275's on a 19x9'' tire would work out great tho...
Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, the rims that I picked out from Americanmustle website only came in the 19 x 8.5 or 19 x 10 and for the tires the 8.5 width might be too small ??
Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Unfortunately, the rims that I picked out from Americanmustle website only came in the 19 x 8.5 or 19 x 10 and for the tires the 8.5 width might be too small ??
Old 03-15-2016, 08:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The recommended rim width range(according to the Tirerack) is 9" to 11". So the 10" doesn't sound bad to me.
Old 03-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Things to consider:

1. Weight
2. Weight
3. Weight
4. Price
5. Sizes
6. Appearance

My point... most people only consider 6, 4 & 5 in about that order and weight should really be a lot more important in their decision making. Going with some cheap heavy often out of balance wheels (take a lot of weights to get the right) will really hurt performance.

If you go bigger (20"), most likely you're going to get a very heavy wheel. This negatively affects acceleration b/c of the increase rotational mass. So if each wheel is 5 lbs heavier (x 4 wheels = 20 lbs), then b/c rotational mass really effects things like 4x its like adding 80 lbs to your car. Conversely, if you find some lightweight wheels and can save 5+ lbs per wheel, your car will be faster.

ALSO, heavier wheels do not bounce & recoil as easily over bumps, so when you hit pot holes, ride over bumps, etc. the tires won't hug the road as well.

The first thing I do when I buy a sports car is go find the lightest wheels that I can find, that meet my other requirements. I saved about 8 lbs per wheel x 4 = 32 real lbs, x 4 for rotational mass effect = 128 lbs effective savings. And I could feel the difference in acceleration. It was like driving with out a passenger suddenly.

Most race cars use 18" tires b/c they're the best combination of weight/performance. 19" are still a decent compromise that look good, etc.
IMO, 20's are too heavy, unless you drop big bucks.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry guys, I was incorrect about my OEM tires, the OEM wheels are still 18 x 8, but the OEM tires are Pirelli P Zero Nero P235/50 2R x 18 97W all season tires. Like to get new tires and wheel. How big can I go for a more aggressive look without getting much out of proportion and more importantly without causing any rubbing, break assembly issues, speedometer issues, computer sensing issues, handling problems, etc. I do not want to re-tune the car. I have additional extended 3 years of warranty from Ford.
I was reconsidering 19" wheels (chrome) and tires. I was considering the 19" chrome 2010 GT500 Style wheels from "Americanmuscle". They come in 8-1/2" or 10" width. I'm undecided between the Pirelli P-Zero Nero P275/40R x 19 (105H) or 255/40R x 19 not sure what make since I'm only driving the car for pleasure and looks. No racing/tracks.

Any new input would be greatly appreciated.
John

Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm sorry guys, I was incorrect about my OEM tires, the OEM wheels are still 18 x 8, but the OEM tires are Pirelli P Zero Nero P235/50 2R x 18 97W all season tires. Like to get new tires and wheel. How big can I go for a more aggressive look without getting much out of proportion and more importantly without causing any rubbing, break assembly issues, speedometer issues, computer sensing issues, handling problems, etc. I do not want to re-tune the car. I have additional extended 3 years of warranty from Ford.
I was reconsidering 19" wheels (chrome) and tires. I was considering the 19" chrome 2010 GT500 Style wheels from "Americanmuscle". They come in 8-1/2" or 10" width. I'm undecided between the Pirelli P-Zero Nero P275/40R x 19 (105H) or 255/40R x 19 not sure what make since I'm only driving the car for pleasure and looks. No racing/tracks.

Any new input would be greatly appreciated.
John
Sounds like you're planning on having all 4 wheel the same size. That is, all 275 or all 255, which is fine.
In any case the sizes you mention, 275/40R19 and 255/40R19 are both acceptable tire diameters to match your existing tires. The 275 are about 1.7% larger in diameter but are within the generally acceptable 2 to 3% difference. The 255's are about 1% smaller which is even closer to your current tires. So either would be fine.
If you want, you could go with the staggered setup with the 275 on back and 255's on front.
Actual tire diameters will vary slightly based on manufacturer but should be close to the nominal size I show.

If you are considering the 275 tires on the 10.5" rims I wouldn't do it without checking thoroughly into it. The "design rim width" for a 275 tire is typically 9.5".
If you decide on the staggered setup, as Robostang did in post #2, the 285/35-19 would seem the more appropriate size.

I think the 255/40R19's all around look good. If you want a more aggressive look , lowering it a bit would do it.
I'd look twice at the Pirelli P-Zero Nero's. Not a fan.
You may want to look at the Continental Extreme Contact DWS All Season tire and compare specs, etc.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I am planning on all 4 wheels the same size. I just can not decide between the 275/40 x 19 or the 255/40 x19. Which one would look proportionately better and still get a more aggressive look. I don't want the tires stick out on the side from the wheel well. As you said, the design width for the 275's is 9-1/2 wide wheel. AM only offers the chrome wheels that I picked out in 8-1/2" or 10" width. Would the 10" work O.K. without any problems if I pick the 275/40 tires?? The other choice is the 255/40 then would the 8-1/2" width work O.K. ??

(I'm kind of leaning more for the 255/40's if the 19" x 8-1/2" width works O.K.)
Old 04-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
The 10" are designed for the rear. Not sure if they'd fit the front.

The ideal set up is like 8.5" rim with 255/40 on the front, & 10" rim with 285/35 on the rear. (what the Boss 302's came with)

The 2015+ performance pack comes with 19" x 9" front and 19" x 9.5" rear wheels and with 255/40R19 front and 275/40R19 rear tires.

Just going to 19" will make the car look better/more aggressive than 18".

There are several people that say they run 275 square set up. Personally, it seems a little too wide for the front. And it could make the steering "feel a little heavy".

You used to be able to find track pack take offs on ebay all the time for "cheap" (relatively speaking). Keep an eye on ebay. If you find a decent set of wheels/tires/w TPMS, and you sell yours for a few bucks, its a cheap upgrade.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 mustang