Would you consider upgrading to Michelin PSS 315/35/20 tires? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Would you consider upgrading to Michelin PSS 315/35/20 tires?

I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, awesome tires, no complaints here. My rears are 295/35/20. I know this has been a topic of debate for years, however, here it is again. I want to upgrade to the 315's being I have 20x11 inch wheels (56 mm offset). Right now, I do not rub at all. I've seen some harsh road conditions here and even with the weight of people sitting in the rear, I do not rub. The 295's look ok on the wheel, but it seems that for the size of wheel, it's just begs for a wider tire. I am only lowered one inch, thanks to Ford Racing springs. Now, those of you familiar with Michelin PSS's, you know they run little wider. The 295/35 I have now runs a little wider than a typical 295/35 tire. Having said that, the sectional width of the 295 is 12 inches, while the sectional width on the 315 is 12.6 inches. But the 315 is also slightly taller (28.7) compared to the 295 (28.1). Do any of you guys here run Michelin PSS's, size 315/35/20 without any rubbing? Any advice is appreciated.
2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Superstang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstang5oh View Post
I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports, awesome tires, no complaints here. My rears are 295/35/20. I know this has been a topic of debate for years, however, here it is again. I want to upgrade to the 315's being I have 20x11 inch wheels (56 mm offset). Right now, I do not rub at all. I've seen some harsh road conditions here and even with the weight of people sitting in the rear, I do not rub. The 295's look ok on the wheel, but it seems that for the size of wheel, it's just begs for a wider tire. I am only lowered one inch, thanks to Ford Racing springs. Now, those of you familiar with Michelin PSS's, you know they run little wider. The 295/35 I have now runs a little wider than a typical 295/35 tire. Having said that, the sectional width of the 295 is 12 inches, while the sectional width on the 315 is 12.6 inches. But the 315 is also slightly taller (28.7) compared to the 295 (28.1). Do any of you guys here run Michelin PSS's, size 315/35/20 without any rubbing? Any advice is appreciated.
In the absence of another example, I would try to see what your current clearance is with the existing tires and calculate what you anticipate for an increase with the slightly taller and wider new tires. Of course if it looks real close you have to estimate for "some harsh road conditions and the weight of people sitting in the rear".

EDIT: I've been trying to keep track of peoples comments on what they have for oversize tires. Here's one I saved...
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT
I'm lowered 1.5 with 305/35/20, no rubbing at all with +48 offset

You may want to get his opinion.
Looking at the difference between offsets and tire widths, you'd be looking at about 1/2" closer on the inboard side than what LuisBlackGT has.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
In the absence of another example, I would try to see what your current clearance is with the existing tires and calculate what you anticipate for an increase with the slightly taller and wider new tires. Of course if it looks real close you have to estimate for "some harsh road conditions and the weight of people sitting in the rear".

EDIT: I've been trying to keep track of peoples comments on what they have for oversize tires. Here's one I saved...
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT
I'm lowered 1.5 with 305/35/20, no rubbing at all with +48 offset

You may want to get his opinion.
Looking at the difference between offsets and tire widths, you'd be looking at about 1/2" closer on the inboard side than what LuisBlackGT has.
Harsh road conditions is right. That's all we got around here, roads are not in the best of conditions. I agree with you about the 1/2" difference on the inboard side.
2013 Mustang GT Premium with shaker audio system, BMR adjustable panhard bar, Ford Racing springs, Ford Racing aluminum radiator, Forgestar CF10 wheels (brilliant silver), 20x9 front with 255/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sports and 20x11 rear with 295/35 Michelin Pilot Super Sports.
Superstang5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
My 315/35/20 Invos will only rub when I'm coming down a local overpass with a dip at the bottom.(50-60 mph) You can barely feel it, but if the Michelin's are wider you might get more.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
My 315/35/20 Invos will only rub when I'm coming down a local overpass with a dip at the bottom.(50-60 mph) You can barely feel it, but if the Michelin's are wider you might get more.
Assuming you're talking about the rears, what's the offset and any idea which side of tire rubs?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Get anything but Coper tires, I got 305/35/20 and my old 235 PZeros had a lot more grip

Sent from my SM-N910V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Assuming you're talking about the rears, what's the offset and any idea which side of tire rubs?

Nittos do run narrow. I didn't know Invo comes in 315s

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #8
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: California
The Forgestar offset is +55. I think it's the left that rubs, but it only lasts a millisecond, so it hard to tell.
'13 5.0 PW Premium / E-Force Supercharger w/ Brenspeed tune / FRPP Recaro's / GT500 quad exhaust / DSS Aluminum / Stop Tech 6P 15" / 13" rears / LP over axels / MGW / Moroso separator / 3:73's / Forgestar F14's 20x9/20x11 w/ Nitto Invo's 275/35's & 315/35's / Steeda Sport springs / Koni STR.T's / Steeda PHB / GT500 Spoiler / Roush upper and lower grills / Stillen front splitter / Boss steering wheel
TommyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:49 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post
The Forgestar offset is +55. I think it's the left that rubs, but it only lasts a millisecond, so it hard to tell.
That sounds like a pretty high offset for such a wide tire.
I imagine the only way you could tell where it was rubbing would be to see the signs.
Just trying to collect as much info as I can, before I do mine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT