Debating 2013-14 base or premium - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Debating 2013-14 base or premium

So I'm looking on getting a 2013-14 gt but idk what's better a low mileage base model for 24k or a premium at 20k miles for 26k any suggestions and the premium has the tech pack

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
sonicblewgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 11:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Lots of "base" cars still have the tech pack. Honestly I think the tech pack is a load of crap. Sync blows a giant donkey wang. You can always add leather or premium clusters later.

The choice really comes down to what car you like the best. I'd personally go for the one that has no evidence of a tune or an owner who abused it. That doesn't always mean it's the low mileage car.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
If the maintenance has been properly done on a Mustang with a little higher miles, that should not be a concern.
As to the premium or not choice, that's easy.......
Make a list of every option that the Premium has that the base does not.
Go down the list and put a check mark next to each option that you'd really like to have, and an "X" next to each one you could do without.
That list should tell you two things. Do you WANT the Premium, and is any price difference worth it?
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's what I was thinking to just get my choice of leather later and put the cluster in probably with be alittle cheaper as well

Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
both good suggestions...fwiw I wouldn't pay very much for a premium but I don't care for bells and whistles.

base model and upgrade the speakers buy a stand alone GPS and have $ left over for important things: food, rent, mods
Old 02-18-2016, 09:11 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's a budget American sports car....by which i mean, you'll appreciate the highest trim possible, as comparatively it's still pretty low-rent. The base cars are Checker cab crude though.

This is my DD and road trip car so, I want the little comfort and convenience features. I love the tech pack and nav. It's worked flawlessly for me with two of these cars. DZ climate, dual power seats, decent stereo (compared to the base which sounds like my old '68 with an AM radio), Leather wrapped wheel, brushed trims, ambient lighting. I love it.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:10 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea see but seats I'll be changing them probably to recaro seats and the stereo I can easily get the raxion one from am for like 6hundred

Old 02-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you're going to make your base into a premium over time you might as well just get the premium. Save the hassle and work of making your seats leather, putting in a new stereo, changing the seats, changing the cluster, adding interior lights and just get the premium that has it all already done from Ford. Some people are happy with the bass and don't care for the premium but you are sounding like you want to get the base to save money and then just convert it into a premium.

2013 Premium Performance White

Bama 93 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripe, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted white quarter windows, all lights tinted

Last Mod: Bama 93 Race Tune

IG: chaznungaray

Bama 91 Race tune, GT500 blue racing stripes with matching hash marks and side stripes, cold air intake, Flowmaster super 44s with Roush 4" Tips, CDC performance grille, side scoops, painted quarter windows, all lights tinted
Chaz12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
You should be able to get a base for low 20's. I have a zero option '14 base, love it. It is a close as I could get it to stripped.
605 RWHP on a safe tune
scott9050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well in a way yes but also this base model has 8k miles only that's also another reason why I want to go with it

Old 02-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Go for the Premium. Its not that much more, IMO well worth it.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well in a way yes but also this base model has 8k miles only that's also another reason why I want to go with it

Old 02-18-2016, 11:21 AM   #13
Staff

Regular
Staff

winner winner chicken dinner to the first person that suggests the model they did NOT chose!
Old 02-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It's a budget American sports car....by which i mean, you'll appreciate the highest trim possible, as comparatively it's still pretty low-rent. The base cars are Checker cab crude though.

This is my DD and road trip car so, I want the little comfort and convenience features. I love the tech pack and nav. It's worked flawlessly for me with two of these cars. DZ climate, dual power seats, decent stereo (compared to the base which sounds like my old '68 with an AM radio), Leather wrapped wheel, brushed trims, ambient lighting. I love it.
100% with you on this. I bought 2 Premium trim Mustangs, with Track Package, tech, Nav, security, all the bells and whistles you can get. I paid nothing extra on one car, and 1k more on the other. I love the bells and whistles...
Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I went for a higher mileage one-owner (old guy) premium with tons of dealership service records. It was also traded in at the same dealer it was purchased at (I bought it CPO). For me service history, ownership history, and condition are everything. I sell cars for a living and it's always easy to spot a gem vs. something that some kid beat on or wasn't serviced properly. I wanted the premium mainly because of the nicer trim and nicer gauges, at bluetooth. I could always add that stuff, but leather is $950 at my dealer cost and that money went to a tune, axleback, and lowering springs/adjustable PH bar (first things I did)
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other

I've basically converted my car to a premium from just a base model tech pack car.

Leather take offs 400

Kenwood nav, Bluetooth, xm radio (prob 1500 all said and done)

Door panels 300 (running pony)

401A dash 225

Lit door sills 50

Cluster/ w button 350

So I spent ~2,825 and got exactly the leather stitch I wanted, a better than stock radio and nav/Bluetooth ect.

My car was 34k sticker (brembo tech pack) and a GT premium same options mine has was 40+. I even looked at a used 14 premium on the lot and it was more than my new base plus the money I spent on my "premium upgrades"

If you are a guy who just wants to buy a car and it's already equipped with these options and you don't have the time, skills, or interest in doing your own thing, then I'd say buy a premium.

By the way, all this money I've spent could mostly be recovered by retuning my car to stock at anytime. So is there really a cost when you look at it that way? Hmm. Just some more to chew on.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Definitely the premium!!
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:41 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I purposely bought my 2014 GT as a base model with the automatic tranny as the only option. This is not a DD car for me so I don't need all of the bells and whistles. I don't like leather so that was a big reason I wouldn't get the premium.

I wanted the least amount of electronic crap to go wrong in the future and is the other reason I wanted the car as simple as possible. The only thing I wish mine had was the sirius radio which I had in my previous car.

The bottom line is only you can decide if all of the upgrades are worth the price of admission. For me, they were not.

Wayne
Old 02-18-2016, 07:04 PM   #19
Supporter

Go for a Premium if you can afford it and don't plan on keeping it for 10 years. I have a 2011 base 5.0. I love the car but heated leather and Bluetooth would be nice. However, I don't ever plan on getting rid of mine so less stuff to fail (in theory)...
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicblewgt View Post
So I'm looking on getting a 2013-14 gt but idk what's better a low mileage base model for 24k or a premium at 20k miles for 26k any suggestions and the premium has the tech pack

I would get the premium. I got my premium at 27k miles and it was worth it. So do you mean it has the track pack or tech pack? Mine came with the brembo option.
Notchback91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Do the premium, and you'll never regret it. All that time wasted putting on seat covers and stereo stuff can be better spent adding go fast parts.

Koni STR.t shocks/struts, Steeda springs, BMR LCA, and Panhard bar, BBK off road X-pipe, Pypes axleback, whiteline shifter/trans bushings, Bama 93r tune, JLT CAI, Barton shifter, Shaftmasters 1 piece DS, CHE axle brace, factory HID conversion, and track pack Brembo and Recaro swap
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Base cars are a tougher sell in terms of residual value too. If you buy used less than a year old and depreciation has already taken care of the cost. Last car I bought new, in February, I got a bloat loaded car for essentially base car price.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 11:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If I were you I would go through all the options offered in Mustangs for the years your looking at and make a list of what you want vs what you dont. There are so many options aside from base vs premium as you can add options to a base model as well as a premium model so all premiums are not equally optioned.

I did not really care about the touch navigation or heated seats so decided to go with the base with technology package which adds sync and a power seat. I then bought a set of leather take offs from Roush for $450 as that was the only option I wanted that was part of the premium package.

I say ask yourself what you want and decide because before I bought my Mustang i had a 370Z and I got it fully loaded with every option. After a few weeks of owning it I found myself never using the navigation or heated seats which is how I knew it was a waste to pay for them on my Mustang. People will always use the "you can buy a new used one that is premium for the price of a base" but in reality buying a new car is never the most cost effective way to buy a car but the fact is a lot of people prefer to buy new.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I've basically converted my car to a premium from just a base model tech pack car.

I spent ~2,825 and got exactly the leather stitch I wanted, a better than stock radio and nav/Bluetooth ect.

My car was 34k sticker (brembo tech pack) and a GT premium same options mine has was 40+. I even looked at a used 14 premium on the lot and it was more than my new base plus the money I spent on my "premium upgrades"

If you are a guy who just wants to buy a car and it's already equipped with these options and you don't have the time, skills, or interest in doing your own thing, then I'd say buy a premium.

By the way, all this money I've spent could mostly be recovered by returning my car to stock at anytime. So is there really a cost when you look at it that way? Hmm. Just some more to chew on.
I kind of did the opposite of what many people do. Most buy Base Track pack cars or base performance pack cars & add some Premium options.

I bought a fully loaded GT Premium Convertible.

But since they didn't offer the Track Pack on convertibles, I had to install my own "Track Pack".

I added better LCA's, and Brembo calipers & SS brake lines. I also went high end with the brake job and got the lightweight 2-piece rotors. Approx. $3k installled! It mostly cost so much b/c of the four 2-piece rotors.

Granted I don't have the lower gears. So I added the ProCal tune, lightweight wheels & aluminum 1-piece driveshaft all of those things REALLY made it feel more responsive, like lower gears and cost another $3k. ($300 tune, $600 DS, $2,100 wheels & tires)
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:40 AM   #25
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
Do the premium, and you'll never regret it. All that time wasted putting on seat covers and stereo stuff can be better spent adding go fast parts.

or you could just buy a base model and take the $3-4K saved and use that on go fast stuff.

Seriously OP, this is an opinion thing for new cars and for used it's more important to get a car that is in good shape, hasn't been abused or modded in a way you (or Fords wtty dept) don't like

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT