20" Wheels & Performance?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
20" Wheels & Performance??

I'm thinking of getting staggered 20" wheels. I currently have factory 19" (255/40 19). American Muscle's buyer guide states that "you may experience poor handling and ride quality in exchange" with 20" wheels.

I was wondering what your experiences were like going from a 19" to a 20" wheel.

Do you feel more of the street with less meat on your tires?
What about handling?
Any regrets?
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I just finished 100 laps at Spring Mountain Raceway in a 2015 Shelby Super Snake with staggered 20 inch wheels. I had no issues with cornering or handling (the car stuck to the track with no steering resistance). I drove the car 200 miles around and outside of Vegas. I experienced nothing but a car that was glued to the road. So, I don't think staggering the wheels is an issue as long as the front and rear are relatively close in width.

The sidewalls are quite small on the tires mounted to 20inch rims, so you will feel the road. It's not the same thing as stock tires. But, it certainly isn't harsh. Now, with that said I would not want to hit a pothole, but that would likely hurt even with the stock tires mounted on the 19 inch rims. I drove the car a little bit with the stock 19 inch rims before sending it to Shelby. The car did ride softer. However, I can't give a direct comparison since Shelby stiffened the supension as well as changed the rims/tires. But again, it's not a harsh ride, and is a nice ride on highway and decent secondary roads.

I think the suspension and width of the tires matters more than the height of the rim for handling. Sidewall and suspension matter for softness. If you are looking for a daily driver to run summer and winter....I'd probably stick with the stock setup. If it's driven for fun and you want it to look meaner, I wouldn't hesitate going with the 20's.
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You will feel more of the road, but I don't think it will be a huge difference as long as you have good tires. Handling is mostly affected by the weight of the actual wheel/tire, and width. I have 19s on the Mustang right now but I have had 20s in the past. If you get some cheap heavy 20" wheels with Chinese tires, it's going to handle poorly and ride like crap compared to your stock setup
d1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
But them 20s look geewwd

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
RED SNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post
I'm thinking of getting staggered 20" wheels. I currently have factory 19" (255/40 19). American Muscle's buyer guide states that "you may experience poor handling and ride quality in exchange" with 20" wheels.

I was wondering what your experiences were like going from a 19" to a 20" wheel.

What about handling?
Any regrets?
I think medwards pretty much covered it.
Regarding 20" wheels, don't know why AM states that you may experience "poor handling".
Poorer "ride quality" and "harsher ride" but generally speaking "better handling".
And I've seen cases of bent rims from bad pot holes. More important to have good shocks and struts.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the opinions. I'm at the point where I need new tires asap. It's either spend around $1,200 for a set of 19" tires or get a 20" wheel package from American Muscle from a few hundred more.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:24 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

They state that in their site because some cranky *** old fart or whatever gets a set and feels the road more and complains. So if they say it's going to suck, then it doesn't your pleasantly surprised. If it does, well don't get sad they warned you.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

^^^ very true...
Old 02-20-2016, 05:17 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
If you go from a 14GT with stock 18" to the AM style staggered 20s will you lose noticeable torque in a manual with 3.31 or also if you change to 3.73 would it still be as big of a torque type experience in the lower gears?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylap1 View Post
If you go from a 14GT with stock 18" to the AM style staggered 20s will you lose noticeable torque in a manual with 3.31 or also if you change to 3.73 would it still be as big of a torque type experience in the lower gears?
If I understand you correctly...
There would be no loss in torque if you maintain the same tire diameter.
Are you assuming taller tires if taller wheels?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

My car came with 19", hence the question about going from 19" to 20".
Old 02-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I did 19 in front, 20's in rear

My '13 GT couldn't be happier with this set up.
hobo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
If I understand you correctly...
There would be no loss in torque if you maintain the same tire diameter.
Are you assuming taller tires if taller wheels?
I didn't even think of that ...I'm on base model stock 18s now and would do the AM special that's popular, 20x10 rear and 20x 8.5 or 9 front but it does have a much smaller aspect ratio..35 I think. I confuse easily with the effects that it translates to in engine/ drivetrain revolutions and the actual loss or gain on tire to pavement rotations. I do know my speedo may be off if something is not the same but that's nothing I would even worry about.

I just wondered if the way bigger 20" wheels make any difference to how much seat of the pants feeling you get. I kinda know what matters is the overall diameter of the wheel and tire as a unit and somehow it stays about the same because of reduced tire aspect ratio on larger wheels. Is this right?
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Having 20's is like some one having 20 inch arms with no chest and back muscles. They're just for show. Meaning the guy with big arms is a pusssy cause arms don't mean squat and can't bench press more than his body weight. 😀👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 02-20-2016, 09:27 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Weight affects performance when you get bigger rims (assuming they are not expensive and lightweight) they are going to weigh more which impacts performance. You will also clearly feel the road more due to less tire.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking at these AM wheels but the weight isn't specified. I can't imagine they're much heavier than the 19" Brembo wheels I got now.

Staggered Charcoal AMR Mustang Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14) - Free Shipping
Old 02-21-2016, 07:54 AM   #17

Region: New York
I just bought 20 X 10 Niche Lucerne Black Chrome rims () with a 40 mm offset for the rear.
I plan on using 295 35's.
Any thoughts on potential clearance issues would be greatly appreciated!
GT CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #18

Region: New York
Oops!

Wrong thread.
GT CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by creep View Post

What about handling?
Any regrets?
I went from stock 19" 255/40's up front and 275/40's in back, to 275/35's on 20" x 10" wheels +40 all around. I feel a little more of the road, but they look good and I have no regrets at all.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

You just have to look at the weights of every thing. There's plenty of guys on 20's running 10's with coyotes and blower set ups. It all comes down to knowing what works and doesn't. If you buy 20's that now weight +5lbs more then your 18's then yeah those will perform less. But same can be said going the other way. The last time I weighted my stock 19x8.5 was around 31 something lbs, I went to a 20x8.5 up front and put them on the scale they were roughly 24lbs. Just be aware of what every thing weights, the off sets, and material that's made in wheels.

2011 Kona Blue Gt

Oxford White Roush Stage 1 SN# 6925--SOLD but never forgotten!
Kona Blue GT premium - Slammed on BC's and BMR's full rear suspension
The_Chech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know how much these weigh? Maybe someone from AM will chime in.

Staggered Charcoal AMR Mustang Wheel & NITTO Tire Kit - 20x8.5/10 (05-14) - Free Shipping
Old 02-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwards View Post
I just finished 100 laps at Spring Mountain Raceway in a 2015 Shelby Super Snake with staggered 20 inch wheels. I had no issues with cornering or handling (the car stuck to the track with no steering resistance). I drove the car 200 miles around and outside of Vegas. I experienced nothing but a car that was glued to the road. So, I don't think staggering the wheels is an issue as long as the front and rear are relatively close in width.

The sidewalls are quite small on the tires mounted to 20inch rims, so you will feel the road. It's not the same thing as stock tires. But, it certainly isn't harsh. Now, with that said I would not want to hit a pothole, but that would likely hurt even with the stock tires mounted on the 19 inch rims. I drove the car a little bit with the stock 19 inch rims before sending it to Shelby. The car did ride softer. However, I can't give a direct comparison since Shelby stiffened the supension as well as changed the rims/tires. But again, it's not a harsh ride, and is a nice ride on highway and decent secondary roads.

I think the suspension and width of the tires matters more than the height of the rim for handling. Sidewall and suspension matter for softness. If you are looking for a daily driver to run summer and winter....I'd probably stick with the stock setup. If it's driven for fun and you want it to look meaner, I wouldn't hesitate going with the 20's.
-----------------
Did you expect to have any problems? Your not fair in your comparisons from your 19" to your 20"s. Your Shelby has Struts, Mounts, Shocks, Upper and Lower Rear Control arms, Panhard bar, Caster Camber Plates, Front, Rear Sway Bars and maybe a Strut Tower Brace also. This set-up comes with the 20" tires.

What suspension package did you have for your Mustang before converting it to a Super Snake?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:26 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I remember that tirerack (maybe) did some kind of general purpose study on effects of wheel size on performance. Generally speaking, it is about combined weight of tire and wheel. Bigger wheels weigh more and might affect performance. There is a balance point about 18 or 19 inch size. But this is just general conclusion assuming everything else is same.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:44 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
-----------------
Did you expect to have any problems? Your not fair in your comparisons from your 19" to your 20"s. Your Shelby has Struts, Mounts, Shocks, Upper and Lower Rear Control arms, Panhard bar, Caster Camber Plates, Front, Rear Sway Bars and maybe a Strut Tower Brace also. This set-up comes with the 20" tires.
What suspension package did you have for your Mustang before converting it to a Super Snake?
"However, I can't give a direct comparison since Shelby stiffened the suspension as well as changed the rims/tires."

You are correct...it's not a direct comparison at all. I indicated that it wasn't a direct comparison (see quote above from my post) as there were significant suspension modifications done to the car.

Nope, never expected any problems. The designers at Shelby put 100's of hours into prototyping and testing before they put a car our for retail. I was expecting a lot of good things, and the actual car far surpassed my expectations.

Shelby went with the 20's on my car primarily to reduce tire roll on the sidewalls to improve cornering performance at high speeds....less sidewall, less tire roll. But, the ride on the road is still decent enough in that it doesn't rattle your teeth out of your head, even with the stiffer Super Snake suspension. That was my primary point....on the new mustang with the independent rear suspension it seems that the lower sidewalls don't result in a harsh ride. And, the softer your suspension, I would think the softer the ride.

Because my car is a 50th Anniverary Edition, I had the Performance Pack upgraded suspension ( New Performance Pack Gives Mustang Some More Kicks – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog )
"All the options baby!"
medwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
Weight affects performance when you get bigger rims (assuming they are not expensive and lightweight) they are going to weigh more which impacts performance. You will also clearly feel the road more due to less tire.
Exactly.

Apples to apples: (same weight)
IF your wheel / tire combo weighs the same, the 20" will generally have a little harsher ride b/c of less rubber/wheel to cushion your ride.

Apples to oranges: (heavier 20 wheel combo)
If your new 20" wheels are heaver (almost always the case), then acceleration will suffer b/c of the increased weight and handling will suffer b/c the wheels will be heavier and not bounce/rebound as quickly to adapt to the road.

Rotation mass, like driveshafts, wheels & tires, brake rotors all have approx. 4 times the weight affect.

ie: if you add 20 lbs of rotational mass (5lbs per wheel x 4), its like having an extra 80 lbs of weight in your car!!

I can tell you when I changed from stock 19" heavy wheels, to lightweight 19" wheels if felt like I dropped a passenger off.

Same thing when I put in the 1 pcs alum. driveshaft (saving 20 lbs of rotational mass).
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Exactly.

Apples to apples: (same weight)
IF your wheel / tire combo weighs the same, the 20" will generally feel like a little harsher ride b/c of less rubber/wheel to cushion your ride.

Apples to oranges: (heavier 20 wheel combo)
If your new 20" wheels are heaver, then acceleration will suffer b/c of the increased weight and handling will suffer b/c the wheels will be heavier and not bounce/rebound as quickly to adapt to the road.

Rotation mass, like driveshafts, wheels & tires, brake rotors all have approx. 4 times the weight affect.

ie: if you add 20 lbs of rotational mass (5lbs per wheel x 4), its like having an extra 80 lbs of weight in your car!!

I can tell you when I changed from stock 19" heavy wheels, to lightweight 19" wheels if felt like I dropped a passenger off.

Same thing when I put in the 1 pcs alum. driveshaft (saving 20 lbs of rotational mass).
Exactly.. best explanation.
So before buying any new wheel tire combo it's is very important to know what they weigh and what your present setup weighs.

While the wheel design and the color may be what you're looking, for the weight may not be in your best interest and should be a show stopper. Likewise if you value the softness of ride in your current setup moving to a shorter sidewall tire for looks might leave you or your SO unhappy.
2016 GT Vert, SB, AT, 3:55s Weathertech, JLT, Steeda, Colgan, Velossa Tech, Coyote Spacers, Diode Dynamics, Shelby GT350 SW, Curt, Goodridge, aFe, MRT, BMR, Kooks, Mishimoto
Road Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT