What tune should I get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-19-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What tune should I get?

Bama xf, Lund, steeda, roush or VMP?

What else is there?

I'm looking to get a big whp gain for a better 1/4 time..car is so slow and it's a auto with select shift.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dannyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 05:44 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
What tune should I get?

Lund or VMP. Put a better converter in it too.

Every day is a joyride.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv8 View Post
Bama xf, Lund, steeda, roush or VMP?

What else is there?

I'm looking to get a big whp gain for a better 1/4 time..car is so slow and it's a auto with select shift.

You forgot AED and MPT

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Mike roush is said to be the best when it comes to the autos.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I have 2 Bama tunes and 1 MPT tune. Can't speak for the other's, but from my opinion, MPT was a pain to deal with. I'd look into others before I decided on them.
Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama5OH View Post
I have 2 Bama tunes and 1 MPT tune. Can't speak for the other's, but from my opinion, MPT was a pain to deal with. I'd look into others before I decided on them.
Never had an issue with MPT!

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm auto too and Lund has done a great job with it. It pulls hard.

DylanRyan_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Roush, only downside is he seems to be a busy man and sometimes hard to get a hold of, although I have gotten him every time within a few days most of the time. When he knows you are tuning and doing logs he is usually within a day and good response time. Also heard that if you call and give heads up he is quick to respond. My auto with his tune is deadly now, I used to drive with no traction control on and be pretty hard on it. Now I have to be careful with the response and power. Im sure all the tuners above will be really close though, Bama seems to be least liked but I havent tried them
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #9

Brenspeed is very good, look them up, they have 2 shops and do very good work
strangeshep43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
If your looking for power reliability and fuel economy go with steeda. I contacted them before I purchased tunes and did tons of research and I'm so happy I went with them. I average 24 mpg on my 91 octane tune, I ran it for a summer and winter already with zero issues. The car feels so powerful with this tune. Compared to my bama tunes it's night and day. Steeda also doesn't mess with certain parameters of mess with the knock sensor sensitivity like other tuners have a reputation with in the past. I'm not saying it's the most powerful tune, but if you want your motor to last 100k+ miles and beat the balls off it is say steeda is a safe bet.

94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
[QUOTE=94gtconvert;2338657]If your looking for power reliability and fuel economy go with steeda. I contacted them before I purchased tunes and did tons of research and I'm so happy I went with them. I average 24 mpg on my 91 octane tune, I ran it for a summer and winter already with zero issues. The car feels so powerful with this tune. Compared to my bama tunes it's night and day. Steeda also doesn't mess with certain parameters of mess with the knock sensor sensitivity like other tuners have a reputation with in the past. I'm not saying it's the most powerful tune, but if you want your motor to last 100k+ miles and beat the balls off it is say steeda is a safe bet.

I have a Steeda tune in my '16 GT and can agree with everything in this post. If you (OP), want to squeeze out more power, maybe another tune would be best for you. I can say however that my Steeda tune has worked perfect for me so far. NO surging, running lean, hesitation, or running rough at any rpm range. Just more torque and more (safe) power.
la pantera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
He says very clear he is looking for "big whp gains" so why would steeda even be mentioned here.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabber12 View Post
He says very clear he is looking for "big whp gains" so why would steeda even be mentioned here.

Then he should go with a real tune, if he wants "big" gains canned tunes are not the answer. Go to a dyno tuner and get a real tune. The only gains you'll get from Lund or mpt are going to be half of what a dyno tuner can get. Plus you'll have peace of mind that it's not running lean. I'd buy all the performance parts you plan on buying in the future early so you don't waste $600 on a tune session.

Old 02-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think it's a big of exaggeration to say a canned tune on an otherwise unmodified Mustang will be 1/2 of what a dyno tune will get. Not likely. Dyno tunes are best for power adder applications or extreme bolt ons, that's where it's really better. It's pretty easy to get the majority of what you can get out of just a tune with a canned one.

I have VMP on my otherwise stock auto; it's really sharp and pulls hard.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
Then he should go with a real tune, if he wants "big" gains canned tunes are not the answer. Go to a dyno tuner and get a real tune. The only gains you'll get from Lund or mpt are going to be half of what a dyno tuner can get. Plus you'll have peace of mind that it's not running lean. I'd buy all the performance parts you plan on buying in the future early so you don't waste $600 on a tune session.
For a bolt on car a dyno tune is waste and really isn't as good as logging on the street. Logging your own car on the street will give you "peace of mind".

VMP would be an excellent choice as well. Heck Justin Starkey from VMP is actually tuning some for Bama now.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #16

Brenspeed has a Dyno in both of there shops, I belive Comp cams makes cams just for Brenspeed, look on there website for info, they may be one of the top 10 Mustang turners in the country, but I'm no expert I just know they did and still do some very good upgrades to my 05 and I've been very happy with there work, I'm almost 60, started working on muscle cars when I was 15, so I know a good shop when I see one, just my 2 cents
strangeshep43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:17 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This is really interesting and informative discussion. Although I haven't made decision go to tune or not, I will keep on tracking this thread.

Thanks everyone.
alfaromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:43 AM   #18
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
AED or Lund.
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I think it's a big of exaggeration to say a canned tune on an otherwise unmodified Mustang will be 1/2 of what a dyno tune will get. Not likely. Dyno tunes are best for power adder applications or extreme bolt ons, that's where it's really better. It's pretty easy to get the majority of what you can get out of just a tune with a canned one.

I have VMP on my otherwise stock auto; it's really sharp and pulls hard.

Maybe not 2x as much as a canned tune but a good amount more. My buddy has a 2014 gt and he had bama tunes with a off road x, mufflers, cai. He made 395 ish on the dyno. He then had it dyno tuned the same day same mods and made 410. Both on 93 octane gas. Now is it worth $600 in my op? No that's why I have steeda. But this thread said big gains. And is say that's quite a jump

Old 02-23-2016, 02:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
...and otoh, I had a canned tune on my last 5.0 that claimed 16 horse, that gained, in my case, 27 horse.

It's down to the individual car, driver and tuner. You can, as you say, sometimes find additional hidden power with the dyno but you can also chase your tail sometimes. Cost - benefit wise, a custom tune is a lot to chase maybe 10 horse in a 400+ application, IMHO.

Now, FI, custom is required, truly.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 04:47 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
My buddy has a 2014 gt and he had bama tunes with a off road x, mufflers, cai. He made 395 ish on the dyno. He then had it dyno tuned the same day same mods and made 410. Both on 93 octane gas. Now is it worth $600 in my op? No that's why I have steeda. But this thread said big gains. And is say that's quite a jump
Perhaps his gains were due more from the Bama tune? A little common sense goes a long way.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Perhaps his gains were due more from the Bama tune? A little common sense goes a long way.
Agreed. Theres countless people who had bama then changed and say its a huge difference. I dont mind having my car tuned on the street with how I drive and how the car reacts in real scenarios, and not just sitting inside on a dyno. But hey I never had bama or a dyno tune just going off my tune and thoughts and a little knowledge of what others have said. Max horsepower also isnt everything

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT