coolant filter - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
coolant filter

Just trying to make my 2014 last a long as possible its my DD so wondering if anyone has an opinion on one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radiator-Hos...9Ww2SH&vxp=mtr
Logan541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it's necessary. I reused my coolant when I installed my blower and it was really clean. I ran it through a coffee filter as I put it back in the tank just in case though.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I personally wouldn't do that. It could clog with gell as dex cool is notorious for doing that, aka our motorcraft Orange is a knock off of dex cool. Also aluminum blocks stay clean with the cooling system. If it was a cast iron block I'd say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
That is one of the silliest automotive related products that I have ever seen.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I don't see how this could help prolong the life of your engine, and I would certainly not spend 50 bucks just to see what the coolant looks like when I can already see it in the overflow tank. As long as the coolant stays the color it should be and doesn't freeze, that's more than good enough. As 94gtconvert says, this product can pose an issue of plugging up your coolant line over time.
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Josh_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
That is one of the silliest automotive related products that I have ever seen.
Not as bad this gem that's still being made Tornado - Ford — Tornado Air
2013 v6, performance pack, mt82 manual, MGW Race Spec shifter, SVE Drifts 19x9.5, H&R Supersport springs, Koni yellows, BMR panhard bar, adjustable UCA and LCA, shorty antenna, GT500 strut mounts, black painted roof, Roush splitters all around, GT hood and fog lights.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
Not as bad this gem that's still being made Tornado - Ford — Tornado Air
Where would that even go? Please don't tell me it's a radiator fan claiming to give power gains
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudenInduven View Post
Where would that even go? Please don't tell me it's a radiator fan claiming to give power gains
It's one of those gimmicky parts that suppose to fit inside the intake, and make the incoming air "swirl" to improve fuel economy. Just something to scam $70 out of dumb people that think this might work.
Old 02-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_101 View Post
I don't see how this could help prolong the life of your engine, and I would certainly not spend 50 bucks just to see what the coolant looks like when I can already see it in the overflow tank. As long as the coolant stays the color it should be and doesn't freeze, that's more than good enough. As 94gtconvert says, this product can pose an issue of plugging up your coolant line over time.

Actually their very helpful if you have a cast iron Diesel engine such as the 7.3 and 6.0 ford power stroke. Those engines have very small passages in the oil and egr coolers and clog with "sand" which is really cast iron from the water jacket breaking down. Sinister Diesel and xdp sell huge filters for those tricks BUT their passive. Which means they don't mess with the regular main flow of the cooling system. So if it clogs it won't do any harm. That filter in the picture on this thread is dangerous because it's not passive. If it clogs your screwed. But as for installing one of these in our aluminum modular mustangs it'd be a complete waste of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Actually it's not a gimmick. You use it when you have an older car that hasn't had its cooling system properly maintained. As Rust flakes float through the system (iron block) they clog up your you heater core first and then your radiator. Thats why you coolant looks rusty on an over heated car. What came first, rust or overheating? Answer: rust.
Heater doesn't work, Rust

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
thelastsumurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:02 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

A "coolant filter" is not necessary on a properly maintained cooling system. And if the system was not properly maintained, the correct way to clean out the rust is by using a chemical flush. As previously mentioned, there is a risk of that filter clogging up and creating a problem that it was intended to prevent.
I have found casting sand in the water jackets of every single engine block that I have ever disassembled. It typically collects in the lowest part of the block, when installed in the vehicle, around cylinders #4 and #8, and stays there for the life of the engine.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:22 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Dude... Don't you get it, reread my post. If you have rust in your system it's because you haven't properly maintained your cooling system. Then, you have rust flakes running through your system till the end of time... And no radiator flush is going to help you thus the need for the filter...

2014 GT Premium 200A, Black on black , leather , 6R80, Nav, Security. Pro Cal, HT catback exhaust 12.54@112
Old 02-26-2016, 12:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastsumurai View Post
Dude... Don't you get it, reread my post. If you have rust in your system it's because you haven't properly maintained your cooling system. Then, you have rust flakes running through your system till the end of time... And no radiator flush is going to help you thus the need for the filter...
I carefully read your post the first time.
Don't you think that all of those flakes of rust might eventually clog the filter? And cause the engine to overheat?
It seems like a recipe for being stuck on the side of the road, waiting for the engine to cool off enough so that you can remove the filter and clean it out.

Why not just fix the problem correctly, rather than going through all of the aggravation?
Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Coolant can deteriorate over time and should be tested to see if it's still good, as it can be hard to tell just by appearances. Even if testing shows the cooling and antifreeze protection are still adequate, antifreeze can become more acidic over time and lose its rust-inhibiting properties, causing corrosion. Adding a filter will do nothing in the way of acidic issues.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
I carefully read your post the first time.
Don't you think that all of those flakes of rust might eventually clog the filter? And cause the engine to overheat?
It seems like a recipe for being stuck on the side of the road, waiting for the engine to cool off enough so that you can remove the filter and clean it out.

Why not just fix the problem correctly, rather than going through all of the aggravation?
That's the whole idea of the filter to get all that crap out of your system. Your take it off and examine it and clean it if it's starting to get clogged. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. Just curious how would you fix the problem correctly. Have you ever tried to remove rust from your system. It's an exercise in futility.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's the whole idea of the filter to get all that crap out of your system. Your take it off and examine it and clean it if it's starting to get clogged. Sorry, I thought that was obvious. Just curious how would you fix the problem correctly. Have you ever tried to remove rust from your system. It's an exercise in futility.
A proper cooling system flush should remove a good deal of any contaminants in the system. If it doesn't, odds are that there is going to be a much larger problem than just rust circulating through the coolant. Such as rotten freeze plugs.
I have never had to clean rust from a cooling system, at least not to the extent that you are speaking of. I have had to clean out a rusty fuel tank on an old truck though. The rust would clog up the fuel filter about every five miles. It was very annoying! I ended up removing the tank and using Muriatic acid to remove the rust. That solved the problem.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ok stray. Clearly you are a young man. Let's continue this conversation when you have some real world experience.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:09 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok stray. Clearly you are a young man. Let's continue this conversation when you have some real world experience.
Thanks TLS!
When I get a few more years of experience under my belt, I look forward to hearing some more of your cooling system maintenance tips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT