Any ideas out there - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Any ideas out there

I live near Madison WI. My 2014 GT/CS 5.0 Vert didn't come with navigation. I would like to add the Raxiom Navigation unit from AM - I know lots of people think it is a waste but I like the looks and I think with AM backing it and a good unit it will work fine. The problem is finding someone to install it. I have tried some relatives that do specialty car work and they really don't want to get involved. they recommended a car stereo place in Madison and they don't want to do it as they don't back that product and tried to tell me something that cheap would be nothing but problems - it used to be a Rison (which they support) but now is Raxiom and they told me they have never heard of it. I tried a good friend who lives in my town who does all his own work on his mustang and he is pretty busy and not sure he would want to do something he has never done and would feel terrible if something went wrong. I read somewhere that someone had Best Buy install theirs - I am not sure I trust Best Buy either and there is the rear camera to install as well as the navigation unit. Any body have any ideas. I know neither my better half or myself would be able to do it - we are not car people at all. I don't know if I should try the dealer.....they would charge an arm and a leg I would think but they can't install an original navigation system because of all the major differences - maybe they would agree to do it. I don't know of any good speed type shops around the Madison WI area. Any ideas - I do want the Raxiom and don't want to try other things. Thoughts guys and gals?
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
It really is a do it yourself kind of item. I think the hardest part is running the wire for the camera.. Look on U-tube for how to remove the radio... Set a side some time and go from there. I actually will watch a video a few times and then send the link to my Tablet. Take the tablet with me and have it there for a step by step after that.. Also the instruction for the install are pretty good too..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
another car stereo/alarm shop or your local small shop mechanic.
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Seems the places I call agree with most of you that I should install something other than Raxiom. I am talking with a place called Radio Doctor in Madison WI - they have mixed reviews most of them good and they were recommended by an autoshop in town we use and trust. They are talking about putting in a Pioneer system and I will add a back-up camera. Anyone have any experience with Pioneer navigation or with The Radio Doctor in Madison.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
forgot to add, if you bring in your own parts the standard deal is the shop will wtty the work but not the item, ie if the unit fails you'll have to pay their labor again. If they supply the unit they'll cover it as normally they'll make money on the unit to.

Ya didn't ask but stuff like GPS I prefer a $100 stand alone unit, when it fails you just go get a new one...also consider updates and being able to take it with you when you travel in a rental.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I strongly recommend getting a good aftermarket stereo like pioneer with nav and a good quality rear view cam if you want one. I had a little screen bleed on the HVAC dash I purchased through a shop, they got it replaced under warranty no questions asked. If you want it done right, pay a little extra and have a good car audio shop do it if you don't know what you're doing.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
forgot to add, if you bring in your own parts the standard deal is the shop will wtty the work but not the item, ie if the unit fails you'll have to pay their labor again. If they supply the unit they'll cover it as normally they'll make money on the unit to.

Ya didn't ask but stuff like GPS I prefer a $100 stand alone unit, when it fails you just go get a new one...also consider updates and being able to take it with you when you travel in a rental.

The problem is if the unit is damaged during install and fails good luck getting it covered. Shop is going to say it's a defective part and the vendor will likely blame the install.

I am pretty sure that until is plug and play so it shouldn't be too bad to do yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT