Install Pioneer 8100 Nex/backup camera in 2014 GT Premium - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Install Pioneer 8100 Nex/backup camera in 2014 GT Premium

I am going to be installing a Pioneer 8100 Nex keeping my Siruis and Synch and steering wheel controls. Does anyone have an image or picture of what it will look like after it is done. I just can't visualize it. Also any input as to how you like or dislike the Pioneer. I am doing it as an in dash navigation system and an upgrade to the radio. I am also going to be installing a backup camera. Any suggestions on which ones you like. I am trying to find one that is sleek and won't stick out too much - I have seen some that are built into a thin license plate holder for about 150 bucks. Any thoughts? I do have someone who will be installing all of this as neither myself or husband are do it yourself when it comes to mechanics, wiring etc.

Will be buying from Crutchfield.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
There are some good photos and info under the Mustang wrecking and care section. There's an audio section and the topic your looking for is there too. I'm also interested in doing this.
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

which dash panel are you using? I have an 8100nex in my car but I have a custom dash panel I made for it using scosche controls. I love the 8100, it's a really nice unit, I recommend you wait for 8200 to come out (if not already out) shortly, as it offers the OBDII gauges and ability to read and clear check engine light, and built in climate controls if you use the ADS MUS1 dash kit, the 8100 does not have the ability to do this

here's my 8100 with the dash panel I made, it started life as ADS MUS1 dash kit, that I ended up molding in the Scosche climate controls and moved the headunit to the top where it should be

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Wow that looks really good. I shared what you wrote with my installer to see if he could do it. I wasn't sure what installation was going to be used as it is what Crutchfield was recommending. Can I ask approx. What this cost you in material? I believe the 8290 is out but Crutchfield didn't have pricing yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Another question. The 2013 that my installer worked on said their was hardware in the area you have the radio screen. Could you explain to him how you did it if he was willing to take it on.
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Wow that looks really good. I shared what you wrote with my installer to see if he could do it. I wasn't sure what installation was going to be used as it is what Crutchfield was recommending. Can I ask approx. What this cost you in material? I believe the 8290 is out but Crutchfield didn't have pricing yet.
thanks! it's quit costly because it used two different dash kits, I had the ADS kit already, I bought a Scosche dash kit as well, so I'm probably at $600 total with both dash kits and all materials (paint, sand paper, 3M body filler, epoxy) but you could buy one panel and come in much much cheaper, I used two panels because I wanted the Scosche climate controls and lower pocket the ADS MUS1 kit has with the dual usb ports. your installer is correct, there is a small black box that controls the A/C mounted where the headunit now is in my setup, it simply detaches from two metal brackets, you then tuck it into the side, then bend the two thin metal brackets up out of the way, this gives you all the room you need for the headunit with no cutting/fabricating needed at all. unless your dead set on having the headunit up top, I recommend getting the 8200nex with ADS MUS1 dash kit, this will give you climate controls IN the headunit, as well as OBDII gauges, along with the ability to read and clear check engine lights, this mounts the headunit much further up, just not as high as mine is
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Another question. The 2013 that my installer worked on said their was hardware in the area you have the radio screen. Could you explain to him how you did it if he was willing to take it on.

Sent from my S6 using tapatalk
Old 02-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Specific to the backup camera, I went with the Pioneer ND-BC6 on my 08.

MOTM winner May 2015 "Best mods Mustang". Please View my Garage for complete details on modifications.
Scott2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
be glad you have a '14 and you can center up your rear view cam since the license plate lights are not centered. I don't remember the name of this camera but the low profile one is definitely the way to go, can't even tell it's there. I looked at the built into-frame cameras in person and thought they looked hideous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_124848.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	837.0 KB
ID:	197616Click image for larger version

Name:	20160228_125022.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	197617
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well ordered the Pioneer 8100 Nex (on sale as well as all the needed assembly parts because the new 8200 are just starting to come out). Couldn't justify the cost of going with the 8200. Above my budget. Got the Scosche FD1441 B Dash Kit - the head unit is at the bottom - which I didn't really like but I wanted to keep climate control buttons just in case the Pioneer goes out for some reason and it has all the climate control. BRRRR or HOTTTTTT. So above the head unit will be touch screen climate control and buttons on the side of it. Above that, the factory radio screen will be which I will keep for time and temp etc. Got a piece of acrylic tinted plastic to replace the stupid one that came with the car that is scratched and smudged permanently. Apparently a problem with Ford. Thought about tempered glass but it was too hard to find someone to do it and when I did to expensive to get a small piece to use. 50-100. The piece I bought was like 24 bucks shipped and I talked to a guy who also had bought it last fall and he said, fits perfect and looks brand new.
Got all the assembly pieces needed. Dropped Synch - wasn't using it except for the bluetooth on the phone and that will be taken care of by the Pioneer. Got the kit to keep all the use of the steering column buttons. Got the Sirius XM tuner (comes free - pay 70.00 - get a 70 rebate and 3 free months of service to add to my subscription. Got anti-glare screen for the Head Unit - needed with a convertible. Got all the wiring for splitting the existing GPS antenna so I don't have to have an extra. The only thing that will be mounted will be the external speaker and will be hidden behind the rear view mirror. I think I am going to like the looks of it all when it is done.

Also got Optic KVC9101R back-up camera - you can erase the lines and reset them using the head unit.to the distances you want. Finally will be able to see where I am when I am backing up and won't be afraid of running over a child.

Found a great installer (very reasonably priced and knows his stuff) not too far from home. Great reputation - 1 man company. (Even Amazon recommends him - fully vetted) Says he can probably get it all done in a day unless we have to seal the plastic piece in the original radio slot. Some people said there was enough sealant after taking it off that nothing more was needed. Some used sealer and let it sit for 24 hours. So it will depend on what the installer finds. So very exciting - all though I have been told by my husband that he has been generous to this point but NOW I AM FINISHED! No more changes. LOL - I really wasn't wanting anything else so.....we shall see. He still will decide if he wants the backup camera after he see's how mine works and perhaps switch his stock exhaust to my Corsa GT500 Quad Sport Axlebacks - which I can hardly wait to hear again. His GT/CS came with the Ford Navigation system. Be interesting to see the differences.

Once it is installed I will post before and after shots. If the weather will clear in the next week or two for a couple days it will get done before April! Just like christmas with packages arriving daily or every other day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT