To lower or not to lower - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2016, 09:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
To lower or not to lower

Been giving some thought to lowering from stock. 2011 GT currently stock springs. The problem is the foot of my driveway is a rounded curb. Currently if I pull in or back out straight I will rub the front chin. If I pull in at an angle the clearance is fine. Does anyone have a raised curb to their approach and has it been a problem lowering the car?

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 12:41 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If your careful enough you should be fine but it's hard to say without knowing the height of the curb or how much you want to lower.

This is the only reason my car is still stock ride height. I drive it everyday and occasionally will scrap as is and really don't feel like scraping my bumper on a curb or something. I've had lowered cars in the past and you CAN dd them but have to be very mindful or else you will scrap on things or bottom out on pot holes.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:10 AM   #3
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it scrapes now and you still want to lower it?

On a helpful note pull in like you normally do but stop with the bumper lip over the curb, get out and look at the clearance then subtract whatever you want to drop it by.
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I too have the curb vs. apron vs. street problem. Street level is about 6" lower than my driveway apron. Question is how low do you want to lower your car? If you go with a lowering kit such as Ford's handling package (I forget the part number) that will lower the front 1" and rear 1.250" of which will lower the car about 1" overall getting rid of that rear higher that the front design. You can go lower with different kits however if you are a tall person of 6' or more you may have problems getting in and out like I did. Banging my head on the side of the roof is a pain in the you know what. When getting out of the driveway I found the best way is to make a somewhat tight turn and let one rear wheel roll off the curb then the next rear wheel then one front wheel then the next front wheel. Use your brakes and go slow. I know this is a long winded reply but I don't know how else to explain it. Here is a pic of my car with the 1" lowing package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0228.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	197716  
Old 03-01-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Thanks for the info. I don't want to slam the car. I just don't want it to look like an SUV. Probably an inch is all I would do. I am 6'3 so getting in and out is already a chore. Lol. I assume speed bumps are about the same height or maybe just a hair lower than the foot of my driveway.

Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
My curb in my driveway is the same way, I just hit it at an angle and my Steeda drop clears no prob
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
Been giving some thought to lowering from stock. 2011 GT currently stock springs. The problem is the foot of my driveway is a rounded curb. Currently if I pull in or back out straight I will rub the front chin. If I pull in at an angle the clearance is fine. Does anyone have a raised curb to their approach and has it been a problem lowering the car?

Ugh, why do they make rounded curbs? I see no advantage to them, though I've scraped my front bumper on the stock suspension more than once
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You can buy those curb things made out of recycled tires? Sorry can't remember the name...lol
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
You can buy those curb things made out of recycled tires? Sorry can't remember the name...lol

I looked at getting these but I didn't need them. A bit pricey tho

http://www.bridjit.com/buy
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I looked at getting these but I didn't need them. A bit pricey tho

Bridjit Curb Ramps - The No Jar To Your Car Curb Solution
Tempting, but dang, three hundred for them? My neighbor has these for his Porsches
2001 3.8L - Cheap SR CAI, SF4/X4 w/ 91 Octane Bama Tuning, Pacesetter H-pipe and Borla Stingers, Auburn HP Limited-Slip Diff, FRPP 4.10 gears

Coming EVENTUALLY: BBK headers, Eibach Springs, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber Plates
JudenInduven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Get a treated 2x6x8 angle edges with circular saw. Add a 2x4x8 in center. Vella, homemade curb thingy. Lol
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 01:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I only touched the rears with 55d springs, because I had them lying around from my last car but, I won't drop 'er any further, as the roads here tend to the crap. Plus, lowering and stiffening a macstrut car can have adverse handling effects in the wet, which get alot of here.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When I lowered my car, my H pipe started scraping the top of my driveway because of the height of the driveway, so I added speed bumps at the bottom, cheaper than the kit someone else posted.

http://www.amazon.com/Electriduct-Ru...ber+Speed+Hump

nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Just be careful backing out at an angle & that usually does the trick - I had the same issue, scraped going straight out, but a slow back-out at an angle always did the trick.

The sports will give you a 1" front and 1.25" in the rear - not too much.

Steeda Mustang Sport Springs (05-14) - Made in USA 555-8216 | Free Shipping!

See if you have a buddy or someone in the neighborhood give the driveway a try that is lowered.

Let me know if I can offer further assistance on the springs - happy to provide pricing.

Best Regards,

TJ
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:59 PM   #15

Angle it and feather 'er over speed bumps, you'll be fine
Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
in my opinion these cars look so much better lowered. You just have to learn to drive a lowered car. Approach everything at an angle and you should be fine. To me the ride difference wasn't bad at all. I went with the Eibach prokit
camp70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT