2015 GT Mid-muffler exhaust set up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #1
Region: South Carolina
2015 GT Mid-muffler exhaust set up

Hello, first post here. I would like a few suggestions on some ideas with an exhaust system.

I got the car last week. I had the mufflers and resonator removed, and had a Magnaflow Xpipe muffler welded in in place of the resonator. It is a single muffler (that has a built in tru x) welded in directly where the resonator was. Had pipe inserts welded in place of the stock mufflers and kept the stock tips in place.

It sounds pretty good. It is fairly deep and does not drone. However, it is fairly mellow. It might actually sound better at low RPM's then when you get on it. Kind of unusual. The muffler shop was surprised that it was more quiet then they were expecting as well. Will try to get a video this weekend.

I do want it to be louder. I do not want it to drone, or be obnoxious (don't want to be the new homeowner neighbor that just moved in with the loud car). I do not want it to sound raspy (not really found of the roush sound). I'd rather now spend 1,200 - 1,500 bucks on a corsa or borla cat back at this point.

Any suggestions?

Here is what I am considering rather than going corsa or borla:
-Remove the magnaflow tru x mid muffler. Put a real 2.5 inch x pipe in its place (and make the rest of the piping 2.5 inches). In the space after the x pipe, weld in two 2.5 inch dynomax bullet mufflers so that it is still sort of a mid muffler set up. Replace the rest of the piping back to the tips to 2.5 inches and put on 4 inch tips.
I am confident this would increase the sound level, probably make it slightly deeper too. But what about drone? I've read conflicting things about whether the bullets drone. I had them on a 2001 GT Bullitt (with cats, mufflers and resonators deleted) and they were very loud and droned pretty bad. I would not be removing the cats here. I am leaning towards keeping the mid muffler set up because everything I have read suggests that having more piping after the muffler (mid muffler rather then mufflers at the end of the car right before the tips) gives a slightly deeper and smooth sound because there is more piping before the exit to allow the sound to balance out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
amerline89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT