2014 GT Track Pack Wheel Studs - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2016, 12:42 AM   #1

Region: Texas
2014 GT Track Pack Wheel Studs

Wondering if anyone can help me solve a bit of a mystery......

So after getting my free service (oil, tire rotation, etc) from the dealer, I find they have stripped two wheel studs on the rear left axle. Long story short, I ultimately decide I'm not letting the dealer touch my car and order new studs from another dealer to replace myself.

Using the VIN number the new dealer gets me Ford part number 1107 which they claim is original equipment on the car. However, these do not match length, nor color, nor the flat edge on the head of the stud that came off the car.

I do have a track pack car with the Ford 19" x 9 wheels. Anyone happen to have ordered some of these and know the proper replacement studs. To get the car rolling I've used them but I don't feel the lug nuts have all the thread depth I'd like to have.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me find the original equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
e6bcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
The trackpack/brembo wheels are not 19x10. They are 19x9...not sure if this is part of your issue but I thought I'd mention it.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Hey, I'd just knock one of the studs out and take it in to the local parts store and match it. They are M12X1.25 but, the length I don't know. If you have at least 6 turns on the threads you are a-ok though. Fricking idiots jacking off with their impact guns. It takes very little to overshoot the ~100 pounds of torque needed here, when you use the rattle gun.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

Good catch ox, you are correct 19x9....

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #5

5LHO,

I actually started at the local parts store (autozone, advance auto and Napa) but they could not find the part in their computers nor find a match in the parts bin. They said I had to buy from Ford.

I have to suspect the dealer tech started the nuts on with the impact gun. One was tight but when the other 4 were removed the wheel had a lot of play so that one wasn't even providing any useful service. I'm sure they were just being lazy. Same dealer also put in the wrong oil and proceeded to tell me they put in the right oil and just listed it wrong on the invoice. Just goes to show there is nothing free about the free service.

I see some aftermarket studs that are closer to 3" long. Maybe I'll just measure and see if the capped nuts will fit that additional length.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-06-2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
They won't. Usually you are looking about 35mm for a capped stud. You could just measure the protrusion and then the axle flange and add the results together.

Again, those dealer monkeys are twats and I'd be all over that service dept. like stink on **** if they did that to my car. I'm always polite but, I'd be making them fix it while I watched.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:55 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have a '14 GT TracPac and have been told most of the suspension / wheel stuff is base Boss 302. Ford Racing sells both street and track lug studs and might be able to id the part you need. There are open acorn nuts for the longer studs but for street I like the closed ones. The tread on these things is old school 1/2 x 20 so lot of options. Just avoid cheap no-name for safety!
Koryak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by e6bcal View Post
Wondering if anyone can help me solve a bit of a mystery......

So after getting my free service (oil, tire rotation, etc) from the dealer, I find they have stripped two wheel studs on the rear left axle. Long story short, I ultimately decide I'm not letting the dealer touch my car and order new studs from another dealer to replace myself.

Using the VIN number the new dealer gets me Ford part number 1107 which they claim is original equipment on the car. However, these do not match length, nor color, nor the flat edge on the head of the stud that came off the car.

I do have a track pack car with the Ford 19" x 9 wheels. Anyone happen to have ordered some of these and know the proper replacement studs. To get the car rolling I've used them but I don't feel the lug nuts have all the thread depth I'd like to have.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me find the original equipment.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I believe the part number is W7-14059-S439 for right and left rear...I'd give these people a call and order them or at least have them confirm the part #.
AXLE & DIFFERENTIAL for 2014 Ford Mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
I have a '14 GT TracPac and have been told most of the suspension / wheel stuff is base Boss 302. Ford Racing sells both street and track lug studs and might be able to id the part you need. There are open acorn nuts for the longer studs but for street I like the closed ones. The tread on these things is old school 1/2 x 20 so lot of options. Just avoid cheap no-name for safety!
Having had a 14TrakPak very few of the suspension parts are the same as the Boss...Shocks/struts/springs are different on the Boss....TrakPak shares the same rearend as the Boss, has the Boss oil cooler, radiator and core support...
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Having had a 14TrakPak very few of the suspension parts are the same as the Boss...Shocks/struts/springs are different on the Boss....TrakPak shares the same rearend as the Boss, has the Boss oil cooler, radiator and core support...
This could be a real parts nightmare then as the TrakPac suspension is unique. My source is Ford but they called the suspension parts "Boss 302 corners". More confusion they said the TrakPac rear lower control links are GT500!

Do you know if the TrckPac wheel hubs are Boss 302 or GT? This might have some bearing for the wheel studs.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koryak View Post
This could be a real parts nightmare then as the TrakPac suspension is unique. My source is Ford but they called the suspension parts "Boss 302 corners". More confusion they said the TrakPac rear lower control links are GT500!

Do you know if the TrckPac wheel hubs are Boss 302 or GT? This might have some bearing for the wheel studs.
Not to rain on you or Ford and I'll just say that after working on 3 TrakPak cars none of them had the "GT500" LCA's. I replaced my OE LCA's in favor of something more tunable with better bushings. We discussed this at some length last year and I would suggest using the search tool.
It all comes down to the Ford parts guy and how knowledgeable he is....sure the TrakPak is a little different although not the much from the GT....IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Not to rain on you or Ford and I'll just say that after working on 3 TrakPak cars none of them had the "GT500" LCA's. I replaced my OE LCA's in favor of something more tunable with better bushings. We discussed this at some length last year and I would suggest using the search tool.
It all comes down to the Ford parts guy and how knowledgeable he is....sure the TrakPak is a little different although not the much from the GT....IMHO
No prob - I'm at high altitude so LCAs don't have to work as hard . At any rate I hope the OP gets the right lug studs as the replacement part they sold him isn't right.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

@e6bcal - Stripped wheel studs is very interesting. All shops use torque sticks so shouldn't have over tighten. The 98 - 100 ft/lb torque spec is for clean dry threads. If anti-seize or oil got on them then an air tool could have been the problem.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

^^ All shops "should" use torque wrenches, but i have seen many an impacted lug nut in my day. I once had a BMW i worked on that i had to use my full weight on a 6' breaker bar for to get off... props to BMW for making some strong *** wheel bolts lol.

At any rate, front and rear studs have different lengths. I track my car and didn't realize this until i switched to open ended lug nuts to keep the hubs cool.

I normally buy all my OEM and Ford Racing pieces from Tasca Ford, but i am having a hard time finding the studs on their website, and they may not have something that specific available to the "general public." It wouldnt hurt to give them a call though, Steve at Tasca is a great guy and very helpful mustang enthusiast.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT