Anyone running catted H setups with Roush AB's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Anyone running catted H setups with Roush AB's?

Curious what people are running with their Roush AB's in this regard. Looking to upgrade the rest of my exhaust and want a loud and deeper tone.
2014 Black Mustang GT. Roush Axleback Exhaust, Airaid Intake, JLT Oil Separator, Black Billet Grille, Fog Light Relocation, 19" sve drifts with 275/40's, D2 Coilovers, BMR Panhard Bar, BRM LCA's and UCA, KOI and Oracle Orange Dip
scc2014gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I hear all the time that roush sounds better stock. I'm planning on doing my whole setup front to back. Ideally would like to keep the roush. Went in AM site do listen to a few. Really like the Borla and Corsa. So after i get the exhaust I will decide whether to keep the roush or change it up with 1 of the 2 I mentioned. Ppl have their opinions of what sounds good but one can't choose from what they like. Better to listen with your own ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-06-2016, 09:49 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
One way to find out.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The car comes with a catted H-Pipe from the factory.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

How much diff would aftermarket highflow catted x or h pipe compare to deleting it completely.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone ?!!! Performance wise

Old 03-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone?!!

Old 03-09-2016, 04:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Deleting the cats will help pick up some power. Going to a high flow catted setup won't.
Old 03-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Deleting the cats will help pick up some power. Going to a high flow catted setup won't.

Thanks for the response. Just curious any idea how much? I'm on the fence about doing this. If it's minimal I just won't do it.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
ROS: Just buy some kooks headers already buddy. I have heard the factory heads flow decent though, so not saying they are a must have per say. I think with the LT headers and O/R H pipe, I gained around 50 RWHP and slightly more in torque. Most likely it depends on how far your tuner wants to push it. There are plenty of exhaust companies that claim gains here and there, but I have never done a swap of exhaust and actually felt any power difference without the tuner making adjustments. I am sure some exhaust are more restrictive or less, but with back pressure etc., less restrictive is not always better. I have read that for vehicles with over 500HP, you should run a 3 inch exhaust, so how about you be the guinea pig for yet another modification....Personally I love the Roush exhaust and it's only 2.5 and yes in 6th gear on the highway it does drone and annoy me. But seriously I RARELY ever use that gear. I have listened to multiple exhaust as well, I would lean towards Borla S type (but I think they are only 2.75 piping), I have also considered running kooks all the back. But I am thinking to spend 900 plus for a catback, when I already like the sound is a waste. Sure I would want 3 inch piping but I feel catbacks are overpriced and minimal gains are to be seen.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamyzd30 View Post
ROS: Just buy some kooks headers already buddy. I have heard the factory heads flow decent though, so not saying they are a must have per say. I think with the LT headers and O/R H pipe, I gained around 50 RWHP and slightly more in torque. Most likely it depends on how far your tuner wants to push it. There are plenty of exhaust companies that claim gains here and there, but I have never done a swap of exhaust and actually felt any power difference without the tuner making adjustments. I am sure some exhaust are more restrictive or less, but with back pressure etc., less restrictive is not always better. I have read that for vehicles with over 500HP, you should run a 3 inch exhaust, so how about you be the guinea pig for yet another modification....Personally I love the Roush exhaust and it's only 2.5 and yes in 6th gear on the highway it does drone and annoy me. But seriously I RARELY ever use that gear. I have listened to multiple exhaust as well, I would lean towards Borla S type (but I think they are only 2.75 piping), I have also considered running kooks all the back. But I am thinking to spend 900 plus for a catback, when I already like the sound is a waste. Sure I would want 3 inch piping but I feel catbacks are overpriced and minimal gains are to be seen.

I was planning on doing kooks. Just not sure on the x or h and if I want to delete the cats. Ideally I would like to keep the axle backs from roush cause to me it's the perfect sound but wel c. FYI hoping il have a review on the wheel/tire setup for u this evening.

Old 03-10-2016, 04:50 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosariors3 View Post
Thanks for the response. Just curious any idea how much? I'm on the fence about doing this. If it's minimal I just won't do it.
It is minimal.
Quote:
I think with the LT headers and O/R H pipe, I gained around 50 RWHP.
You keep thinking that, but you didn't.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I do have the dyno sheets to show u.....The shop told me with headers and. O/R pipe id gain 30 to 40 rwhp and that was using a conservative Roush tune....I dont have sheet in front of me, but i think I pulled 572rwhp and 481tq after phase 3 upgrade, after headers it was 617rwhp and 531 tq. So are you saying that the gains are not from headers and running catless? I didnt do any other work. Maybe the tuner has some room to play. Regardless it pulled like a freight train after install and under throttle sounds nothing short of bad ***!!!!
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 03-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

My mistake, I did not realize you were running a blower. If that's the case then I could see those type of gains. But someone that's N/A won't see those type of gains.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I do have the dyno sheets to show u.....The shop told me with headers and. O/R pipe id gain 30 to 40 rwhp and that was using a conservative Roush tune....I dont have sheet in front of me, but i think I pulled 572rwhp and 481tq after phase 3 upgrade, after headers it was 617rwhp and 531 tq. So are you saying that the gains are not from headers and running catless? I didnt do any other work. Maybe the tuner has some room to play. Regardless it pulled like a freight train after install and under throttle sounds nothing short of bad ***!!!!

Bro I asked you to post a sound clip of that exhaust. Get ur shiit together and donut already.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #16

I had roush's on my car with long tubes and o/r x and it sounded great but was just a bit too loud for me. My buddy has them on his stock exhaust and I think they are perfect. Great sounding with the catted h, still loud. I liked them a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
crbauhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'm running offroad H pipe and roush axle backs Love the way it sounds!
Old 03-14-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the borla s type exhaust and love it. I am leaving the headers for now but next up is my h pipe. Just waiting to see which one I want.

buddyrich14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have heard nothing but GREAT reviews on the S type, I think it is 2.75 exhaust, I would really like 3", otherwise I would buy Borla. I mentioned swapping out my Roush exhaust at the last shop I was at for Kooks all the way back, since I already have O/R H pipe and Kooks LT's, the guys claimed Kooks had an under water sound that they were not a fan of. They suggested Borla S type as well. Eventually I might try something different as my Roush is only 2.5 and slightly restrictive. We'll see, if you guys have any sound clips of your exhaust please post links
Old 03-15-2016, 01:02 PM   #20
rsb
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Here's an in car recording i made with roush axle backs and cat deletes. No other exhaust mods. Stock h.

https://youtu.be/W1XaG5eVvWw

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Exterior: SVE Drifts 19x9.5/ Roush Side Splitters
rsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
but i think I pulled 572rwhp and 481tq after phase 3 upgrade, after headers it was 617rwhp and 531 tq. Regardless it pulled like a freight train after install and under throttle sounds nothing short of bad ***!!!!

I just looked; the average freight train has between 20,000-25,000 ft lbs of torque. Math is a little off here. Your integrity will be in question any time "I think", "about", "pretty close", "if I recall correctly", or " approximately" comes into the conversation from here on out.

"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
I just looked; the average freight train has between 20,000-25,000 ft lbs of torque. Math is a little off here. Your integrity will be in question any time "I think", "about", "pretty close", "if I recall correctly", or " approximately" comes into the conversation from here on out.

His numbers are reasonable.

Old 03-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Anyone running catted H setups with Roush AB's?

Happens with F/I.

Adventure till you drop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

RWHP and TQ #'s after Kooks O/R H pipe and LT Headers

The first dyno sheet was after the phase 3 upgrade from Roush, the 2nd dyno is after the Kooks LT's and O/R H pipe. I am sorry I didn't know the exact numbers off the top of my head originally. #'s don't really mean much too me anyways, there are plenty of cars that have much less HP that will destroy me in 1/4 mile because they can actually put their power to the ground. I am just posting these because someone thought I was exaggerating.....The tuner probably has some numbers to play with though in my opinion. Nonetheless, adding the headers and removing the cats was a tremendous upgrade for me!!! Sound and power! I might have added a 1 piece DS in between this as well, so that might explain a slight jump in RWHP also. So my car went from 572 RWHP to 617 and the TQ from 482 to 531, gains RWHP =45 TQ=49
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01459.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1,009.3 KB
ID:	198289   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM01460.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	972.7 KB
ID:	198290  

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first dyno sheet was after the phase 3 upgrade from Roush, the 2nd dyno is after the Kooks LT's and O/R H pipe. I am sorry I didn't know the exact numbers off the top of my head originally. #'s don't really mean much too me anyways, there are plenty of cars that have much less HP that will destroy me in 1/4 mile because they can actually put their power to the ground. I am just posting these because someone thought I was exaggerating.....The tuner probably has some numbers to play with though in my opinion. Nonetheless, adding the headers and removing the cats was a tremendous upgrade for me!!! Sound and power! I might have added a 1 piece DS in between this as well, so that might explain a slight jump in RWHP also. So my car went from 572 RWHP to 617 and the TQ from 482 to 531, gains RWHP =45 TQ=49

Drags!!! Is your answer

Old 03-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Drags....Man, I will explain a few reasons that I won't, although I would love a few test runs on yours. I use my car for a cross of a few things including shows, some stop light racing, enthusiastic driving, and just overall enjoyment. There are a few weak links in our cars and I will have payments for a few more years and can't afford to be breaking things. Don't get me wrong, I drive my car like a typical mustang driver should. With that being said, I like the factory look. I will either pay to have my rear wheels widened and get different sticky tires or buy the Vossen CV-3's, as I think they look the best and somewhat similar to the factory classic look. I am not a pure 1/4 mile racer or track guy. If I were, then I might go with a different set up, actually probably a different car. I love the Roush and most mustangs as well, although I have a preference towards unique ones like GT500, Roush, Saleen, GT350, or any GT that has been modded to make it unique.

At the moment with the horsepower I am making, my clutch is slipping on occasion. My next mods are a new Mcleod RST clutch and lightweight flywheel. I'm sure with install, it will probably cost 1400 and some Vossen CV3's with 305's in the rear. No I won't hook like you do, but I want to maintain a specific look. For what I use the car for, I think it's my best option. Hell I am still slightly concerned with the MT-82, I try not to read about people having to replace them. If it happens I might need a loan from you brother
Old 03-16-2016, 09:45 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm looking to do the same.
2013BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Drags....Man, I will explain a few reasons that I won't, although I would love a few test runs on yours. I use my car for a cross of a few things including shows, some stop light racing, enthusiastic driving, and just overall enjoyment. There are a few weak links in our cars and I will have payments for a few more years and can't afford to be breaking things. Don't get me wrong, I drive my car like a typical mustang driver should. With that being said, I like the factory look. I will either pay to have my rear wheels widened and get different sticky tires or buy the Vossen CV-3's, as I think they look the best and somewhat similar to the factory classic look. I am not a pure 1/4 mile racer or track guy. If I were, then I might go with a different set up, actually probably a different car. I love the Roush and most mustangs as well, although I have a preference towards unique ones like GT500, Roush, Saleen, GT350, or any GT that has been modded to make it unique.

At the moment with the horsepower I am making, my clutch is slipping on occasion. My next mods are a new Mcleod RST clutch and lightweight flywheel. I'm sure with install, it will probably cost 1400 and some Vossen CV3's with 305's in the rear. No I won't hook like you do, but I want to maintain a specific look. For what I use the car for, I think it's my best option. Hell I am still slightly concerned with the MT-82, I try not to read about people having to replace them. If it happens I might need a loan from you brother

I still have my 20's. My plan is to swap them depending on what kind of driving I'm planning on doing that day. Tell U what though it's fun to put it to the floor again without worrying if I'm gonna crash into a tree lol

Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I just installed a set of Roush AB's and love the way it sounds. I can't do much else to the factory setup due to Colorado emissions and a bunch of paperwork. Doubt it increased the HP#'s but sure love pressing the skinny pedal now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT