Whirring noise and driveline slop. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-06-2016, 10:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Whirring noise and driveline slop.

Does any one else have a whirring noise from the rear end when there's any bit of throttle being applied? on the highway I hear it the most, when I go down a hill of any sort or let out on the gas it goes away. Also any one have driveline slop more noticeable in 1st and 2nd cursing at 10 mph or so. I have 3.73 on my 2014 gt so that might have something to do with the jumpy feeling.
Massery94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Slop is par for the course on the MT versions. I'd still get under there and make sure the centre bearing and u joints are all good. The fact it occurs under load and disconnected from road speed indicates it isn't brakes or wheel bearings. I'd go back to Ford, see if you can get a tech for a ridealong and fill out an NVH form (just ask). It's still warrantied, you should ask for peace of mind.

You really can't lug these cars around like an old buick at super low speeds on the manual, especially untuned. I always ran up first or second a little further, rather than slop it around at idling speed when I had a stick. The auto I have now doesn't care.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah the mt-82 is definitely built for abuse and not city driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Your description sounds like the rear end is on its way out. My 3.73's sounded like that the 1st time they went out. Pretty common, especially if somebody replaced the pinion seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:20 AM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Not knowing how many miles since the 3:73's were installed I'd hesitate a guess and say that the pinion bearings are on there way out.
Have you replaced the UCA or LCA's???
Since you have lowered your car with H&R springs have you checked the pinion angle on the drive shaft?
The two piece driveline makes noise at slow speeds with a manual anyway. My old 14 TrakPak had the same issue and when I replaced the two piece driveline with one piece aluminum I looked at the carrier of the center U joint on the OE driveshaft....the reason I replaced it.....I only had 8000 miles on mine when I replaced the driveline...never had an issue after that.
I'd take it back to the place that installed the 3:73's...if you had them installed.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Not knowing how many miles since the 3:73's were installed I'd hesitate a guess and say that the pinion bearings are on there way out.
Have you replaced the UCA or LCA's???
Since you have lowered your car with H&R springs have you checked the pinion angle on the drive shaft?
The two piece driveline makes noise at slow speeds with a manual anyway. My old 14 TrakPak had the same issue and when I replaced the two piece driveline with one piece aluminum I looked at the carrier of the center U joint on the OE driveshaft....the reason I replaced it.....I only had 8000 miles on mine when I replaced the driveline...never had an issue after that.
I'd take it back to the place that installed the 3:73's...if you had them installed.
It has the track pack with 3.73 from the factory. And it's not lowered its stock track package, it only has 25,000 miles on it. And the Uca and lca are aftermarket white line and steeda billet. But it came with it when I bought it.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massery94 View Post
It has the track pack with 3.73 from the factory. And it's not lowered its stock track package, it only has 25,000 miles on it. And the Uca and lca are aftermarket white line and steeda billet. But it came with it when I bought it.
Sorry, I guess I didn't have enough coffee this morning.
The first I would do is measure the driveline angle....if this noise happens on de-acceleration my guess is that the pinion bearing is wearing and with the UCA and LCA's having been changed the only thing I can assume......being a very general assumption.....is that this may have caused an incorrect angle on the pinion making it wear prematurely. Now with that said if your TrakPak car has 25k miles it should still be under warranty.....although since the UCA and LCA's are not stock a Ford dealer may or may not want to deal with it.
Who did you buy the car from....a used car dealer or new car dealer?
Old 03-08-2016, 01:30 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The first I would do is measure the driveline angle....if this noise happens on de-acceleration my guess is that the pinion bearing is wearing and with the UCA and LCA's having been changed the only thing I can assume......being a very general assumption.....is that this may have caused an incorrect angle on the pinion making it wear prematurely. Now with that said if your TrakPak car has 25k miles it should still be under warranty.....although since the UCA and LCA's are not stock a Ford dealer may or may not want to deal with it.
Used car dealer. And yeah I had a problem with the upper control arm and didn't realize it was after market until after the ford dealer showed and and I had to pay a diagnostic fee... But I brought it to a different one this time because the automation sucked. I told this one about the control arms and they said that it doesn't sound like it has to do with the suspension so it's still covered under warranty.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How would I measure the pinion bearing? And it only has the whir noise when it has pressure on the rear differential. When I go down a hill or release the gas it goes away.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Your description sounds like the rear end is on its way out. My 3.73's sounded like that the 1st time they went out. Pretty common, especially if somebody replaced the pinion seal.

Was there slight clunks when shifting gears?? Or is that normal.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massery94 View Post
How would I measure the pinion bearing? And it only has the whir noise when it has pressure on the rear differential. When I go down a hill or release the gas it goes away.
This is a pretty good article from BMR; How do I check the pinion angle on a 2014 Ford Mustang - Ask.com YouTube Search

Don't pay attention as they are installing a BMR UCA....just see how they measure it.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The clunks are pretty normal. Clunkiest driveline available... Lol! My pinion bearing went out because the Ford tech over-tightened the bolts on the pinion side when changing the seal - which leaked. So, the same dealer replaced the entire rear end. They didn't know how to set it up, screwed up the backlash, and shimmed wrong. I went to a different dealer. 2nd rear end replacement, no problems. But your "whirring" sound either on load or off load is a sign of rear end problems for sure. We can't diagnose it 100% online... Just go to the dealer that didn't give you problems about UCA's.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
The clunks are pretty normal. Clunkiest driveline available... Lol! My pinion bearing went out because the Ford tech over-tightened the bolts on the pinion side when changing the seal - which leaked. So, the same dealer replaced the entire rear end. They didn't know how to set it up, screwed up the backlash, and shimmed wrong. I went to a different dealer. 2nd rear end replacement, no problems. But your "whirring" sound either on load or off load is a sign of rear end problems for sure. We can't diagnose it 100% online... Just go to the dealer that didn't give you problems about UCA's.

Yeah I'm dropping it off Tuesday, hopefully it's a quick fix! I hate being away from Robin Sherbatsky (my 5.0) haha

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT