On3 Turbo kit vs. Hellion Turbo - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
On3 Turbo kit vs. Hellion Turbo

Sorry if that has already been posted, but I couldn't find it on this forum so here it goes. Looking to Turbo my 2012, and not sure if I wanna go with the on3 twin setup or the hellion single turbo kit. After the upgrades on the on3 they should come out to about the same price. Does anyone have a bad experience with the on3 kit or have you heard bad things? I'd like to go on3 but I feel like hellion would be the safer choice. Anyway thanks for any input you may have.
BlackCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 04:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
No personal experience here but I've heard very bad things regarding the Hellion single kit. Go over to SVT Performance and you'll see lots of feedback on both.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCoyote View Post
Sorry if that has already been posted, but I couldn't find it on this forum so here it goes. Looking to Turbo my 2012, and not sure if I wanna go with the on3 twin setup or the hellion single turbo kit. After the upgrades on the on3 they should come out to about the same price. Does anyone have a bad experience with the on3 kit or have you heard bad things? I'd like to go on3 but I feel like hellion would be the safer choice. Anyway thanks for any input you may have.
You might want to take a look at JPC single kit if you don't mind it not being a twin.. Great numbers and have yet to find a bad review about it.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rufeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
JPC and CPR kits are both fantastic. The Hellion kit is undersized and causes too much back pressure.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:15 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

The On3 kits have really stepped it up in the last few years. The basic twin kit is good for 9s if your bottom end can take it.

Hellion has been living off their name for awhile now btw...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks for the info guys
Old 03-08-2016, 12:47 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
The On3 kits have really stepped it up in the last few years. The basic twin kit is good for 9s if your bottom end can take it.

Hellion has been living off their name for awhile now btw...
I have yet to read anything good concerning the quality of the On3 system. Inexpensive. Yes. Good numbers. Sure.

But I have read many a thread of how much a PITA it is to install due to fitments and shoddy pieces.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstGeneration View Post
I have yet to read anything good concerning the quality of the On3 system. Inexpensive. Yes. Good numbers. Sure.

But I have read many a thread of how much a PITA it is to install due to fitments and shoddy pieces.
What are the dates of the threads you are reading and what application? On3 did have a good number of growing pains for sure but in recent years the kits have been very good.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:14 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know. I personally have no first hand experience with on3, but i have been doing turbos for quite some time and i have a hard time seeing how you can get two decent Turbos, two decent wastegates, manifolds, piping, a blow off valve and an intercooler for $3850...

On my most recent turbo build (4 cylinder, single turbo), my costs were as follows:
(1) Garrett GTx3576 - Right around $2000, i cant remember exactly
(1) Precision 46mm wastegate - $350
(1) Treadstone TR8L intercooler - $260
(1) CP-E cast EWG turbo manifold - $900
(1) Turbosmart Dual Port BOV - $325

That's not even everything and that's already $3,835 so i really question how on3 is able to provide "quality" parts at that price, especially considering the mustang would require a much larger intercooler and BOV and a whole nother turbo.[COLOR="Silver"]
Old 03-08-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Lmao off at people still putting down on3 bc of the price. They have no overhead. Like hellion ect.

Unless you have delt with something you can't knock it.

Or ran have or had your own business

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
On3 has also dealt with an ongoing issue with fitment due to trying to use welded manifolds. The V2 kit uses part welded and part cast to make this go easier.

Turbos will always cost more than the initial price, that's for sure. The entry level isn't the exit level.

The additional costs come with $10,000 Armageddon kits, too though. rotating assembly, strengthened driveline, suspension, brakes tires, etc.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:30 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Lmao off at people still putting down on3 bc of the price. They have no overhead. Like hellion ect.

Unless you have delt with something you can't knock it.

Or ran have or had your own business

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
I'll bite.

Regardless of whether or not they have overhead, the parts alone should still be more than $3850, which means one of two things:

1. The people who wholesale to them love them very much and give them amazing deals.

2. They're using cheap stuff.

Its gotta be one or the other. I understand a business gets things wholesale and will be able to piece a kit together cheaper than i mentioned above, but it still doesnt add up if they're using what we'll call "quality" parts.

I have tuned and owned setups with the above mentioned parts that are going on 50, 60, 70k miles of daily use, driving, racing, etc. If someone can show me On3 kits seeing the same longevity i will reconsider my opinion. I dont consider a kit good just because it can click off a few 9.xx passes.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:27 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I've seen threads dating back to 2012-2013 saying the on3 kits weren't worth it, but I have seen a decent amount of people saying they have stepped their game up in the last few years so idk. I mean the on3 kit seems like a great kit because I'm gonna run low boost for now, but I keep going back to the saying if it's too good to be true. And it's hard to really rely on people's opinions on the internet because a lot of people don't have first hand experience. If I did go on3 I'd get almost 3k in upgraded parts that the company offers so it would come out to about 6K but that's still cheap for a twin kit. Best bet would probably just talk to my local mustang performance shop here in town, unfortunately he sells hellion through his shop since they are manufactured here in ABQ lol
Old 03-08-2016, 10:42 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

The On3 stuff is cheap because...

Its made in China.

BUT... The turbos are made in the same factory where many OEMs are made, they are just not branded. People have taken apart the newer On3 turbos and have been impressed. Go research it, don't take my word for it.

The issues they had were from poor quality control and issues with the factory over there getting the designs down/right. Now... they are pretty on point.

But like I said don't take anyone else's word for it. Go find ppl who actually have the kits and actually run them on their dailys or track cars vs hearsay on the interwebs.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the helpful info man!
Old 03-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

A Chinese turbo isnt a big deal, its just the difference between a slow car and a fast one. A Chinese wastegate is ... its the difference between a popped motor and one that stays intact. If your upgrades include different wastegates then thats really my main hesitation with this kit. I've tried to tune cars that creep / lack boost control because of crappy wastegates and its not fun.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

What would you recommend wastegate wise..?
Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What would you recommend wastegate wise..?
I only have personal experience with precision and turbosmart. I absolutely love turbosmart blow off valves, their raceports are phenomenal. That being said though, i have been less than thrilled with this current turbosmart wastegate i have been trying to tune. It may just be that this particular one is funky and the rest are fine, but i have also not had any issues with the precision wastegates i have tuned so take that for what it's worth.
Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I have said it a million times on here. Take apart a on3 wastegate and a Precision one and get back to me.

Get on my level

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 03-09-2016, 05:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

There have been stories about their wastegates sticking, so either i'm behind the curve on this "their quality has improved" thing, or it really is all the same ****.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I would look into the JPC Kit.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 02:27 PM   #22

I put 50k miles on my 2008 single on3 kit. it's a kit made for people who love modding their car, and figuring stuff out. I had zero issues with my kit except for my turbo turbine seal letting go. The turbo I had on the kit was not the on3 supplied one, but a Master Power turbo, so I can't really blame them for it.

I also had a single on3 kit on a fox and it never gave any issues.

I'd give them another try in a heartbeat.
dsmith658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:10 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah I've seen threads dating back to 2012-2013 saying the on3 kits weren't worth it, but I have seen a decent amount of people saying they have stepped their game up in the last few years so idk. I mean the on3 kit seems like a great kit because I'm gonna run low boost for now, but I keep going back to the saying if it's too good to be true. And it's hard to really rely on people's opinions on the internet because a lot of people don't have first hand experience. If I did go on3 I'd get almost 3k in upgraded parts that the company offers so it would come out to about 6K but that's still cheap for a twin kit. Best bet would probably just talk to my local mustang performance shop here in town, unfortunately he sells hellion through his shop since they are manufactured here in ABQ lol

We also have Armageddon/Motiva here in town. If you catch them at the right time they've been known to knock off a few $K. Just sayin. ..

Sent from my SM-G900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
slimguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

twins are where it's at on a street car with a V8. The dippy pipe runs make a big single not as good an idea and the size a/r you have to run puts it into non-oem and thus really expensive turbos and prone to lag. On the track, not an issue but, if you want your boost right now, go twin.

I made my own TT kit for my old 88 5.0. Two .48 T3s off Merkur XR4Tis and that sucker made boost from idle to 6000 rpm. It was hilarious, until it squeezed out another set of HGs. I got pretty good at the old Windsor HG job...kind of a "wear item" when you pushed those things.

I would go twins on this platform for sure, if I was into it. I'm pretty happy where I'm at so no desire at this point.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #25
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

There are a few locals running one3's kit, it looks great. Also seen another local pushing 1,000+whp out of the EDP single turbo, which also looks great

and to touch on what people have said about fitment, no twin turbo kit will be direct bolt on with out any issues or hiccups, even the hellion kit had threads devoted to fitment issues. Thats just the name of the game when you are looking at turbo kits...they can make their jigs but at the end of the day manufacturer tolerances sometimes lead to you having to do some fab work in the garage
Old 03-31-2016, 03:56 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I always used to say, "If you want a car that looks great on jackstands, go turbo, if you want it to be great on the road, go SC". It ain't quite as bad as that now but, turbo kits are complicated and introduce a a lot of new failure modes because of that. It's just plain a lot of **** to pack under the hood of any car.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I always used to say, "If you want a car that looks great on jackstands, go turbo, if you want it to be great on the road, go SC". It ain't quite as bad as that now but, turbo kits are complicated and introduce a a lot of new failure modes because of that. It's just plain a lot of **** to pack under the hood of any car.

Turbo kits are far from complicated. Very simple actually.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 03-31-2016, 05:53 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Twice the piping makes for twice the complication and adds another layer to fitment issues, over a bolt-on Sc, say. That's just a practical observation from having had a few of these setups, oem and self-made and modifying every one of them extensively.

Here's how I do it, usually, I build the hot side first, after I've chosen the location for the turbo. Once I get that squared away I figure out any hot side connections, lay the turbo(s) out and then once that's done, work on the cold side IC pipeing, once I've chosen the location for IC.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:56 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Twice the piping makes for twice the complication and adds another layer to fitment issues, over a bolt-on Sc, say. That's just a practical observation from having had a few of these setups, oem and self-made and modifying every one of them extensively.

I build my own also. Also building a single kit for my truck with a 96/88 it's not hard. Some snap and brains and anyone can do it.
I'm around the stuff EVERY DAY. From cars to big rigs rebuilding ect.

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Old 03-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I think I understand. Technically, yes, it isn't complicated. It's just running pipe and welding. It's just a lot of work and all these joints do add potential failure modes down the road. That's all I'm saying.

I eventually want to go PD with this car...just because I haven't tried that yet...N20 will do for this season, though.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:21 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

Intercooled centrifugal supercharger isn't really any less complicated than a turbo setup. And then you have to worry about belt slip and not making as much power.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:34 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

C'mon man, I can put on a centri blower in a day and be up and running. A turbo setup ain't gonna let you do that.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:51 PM   #33
Staff
Regular
Staff

Sure it can depending on your tools and shop.

Compare a single turbo setup to a centri and both have intercoolers. Coldsides are the same. Centri is held on by brackets and you have to install a new belt setup. Turbo is held on by new headers. Yes headers can be a pain in the *** and you may need a new K member but that is dependent on the application. The Coyote setup does not.

Old 03-31-2016, 09:19 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

The belts and bracketry can be annoying but, it's generally self contained and doesn't require removing a lot of other stuff. It just hangs off the bolts and studs on the front of the timing cover, where nothing is sitting anyway on this platform.

It's reaching to say any turbo setup is as easy as a centri install, it really is. There's just more to do.

Are you kinda sorta off on medical leave like me right now, you got as much time on your hands as me for these questions

Old 04-17-2016, 12:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Glad I saw this. I'm looking into turbo kit too. Never heard of jpc. I will be looking into to them.
2013BlackBeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT