Double clutch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2016, 01:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Double clutch?

I've been driving stick for almost 25 years and I've never even heard of double clutching. Someone recently told me it's something one is supposed to do less you ruin your synchros and wear out other parts. I've yet to experience these problems in any manual car I've owned.

What say you?

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Double clutching is only needed when your transmission is non-synchromesh........so basically, not since the 60's.
It has to do with bringing the next gear selected up to speed so they don't grind when you shift --- not needed in a synchromesh transmission, which does exactly that for you.
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Double clutching is only needed when your transmission is non-synchromesh........so basically, not since the 60's.
It has to do with bringing the next gear selected up to speed so they don't grind when you shift --- not needed in a synchromesh transmission, which does exactly that for you.
Probably early 60s. My 65 Mustang has a 4 speed syncromesh transmission. If I remember correctly the 3 speed transmission in that car might not have had a syncro on 1st gear but I'm not sure about that. No need to double clutch our transmissions for sure.
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium 401A, Manual, 3.55, Steeda Pro-Action Shocks, Struts, Sport Springs, LCAs, Adjustable Swaybars, Adjustable Panhard Bar, BMR Relocation Brackets and Adjustable UCA, Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Drive Shaft, Airaid CAI, MGW Shifter, GT500 Axle-Backs, 3M Clear Bra and Tint, Side Window Louvers, JLT Oil Separator, Staggered MMD Zeven Wheels and Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, Bama 93 Race Tune
Robostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
I am curious who told you this? It seems odd that someone would be still telling anyone something like this about the newer cars.....
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
I've been driving stick for almost 25 years and I've never even heard of double clutching. Someone recently told me it's something one is supposed to do less you ruin your synchros and wear out other parts. I've yet to experience these problems in any manual car I've owned.

What say you?

Quote:
I am curious who told you this? It seems odd that someone would be still telling anyone something like this about the newer cars.....
Probably someone who recently saw a "Fast and Furious" where they threw stuff in but didn't know what they were talking about:

"you lost because you were granny shifting and not double clutching like you should be"

"NAWSSS you'll blow the welds on your intake"
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Probably someone who recently saw a "Fast and Furious" where they threw stuff in but didn't know what they were talking about:

"you lost because you were granny shifting and not double clutching like you should be"

"NAWSSS you'll blow the welds on your intake"
This

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It's the sound you hear during the chase seen in Bullitt. Interestingly enough, a quick Google search produced the following:

"As for the Mustang, the car used for chase scenes was reportedly a GT fastback equipped with a 390-cu.in. V-8, while a few 289-cu.in. Mustangs were dressed to look like the 390-powered version and used for other scenes. The GT’s four-speed gearbox wouldn’t have required the double-clutching heard during the chase, but the producers opted to use an engine soundtrack from a Ford GT40 for a more dramatic effect. As for the stunt driving, McQueen piloted the car for all but a few scenes about 10-percent of the scenes, with friend and Hollywood stuntman Bud Ekins taking the wheel for the early part of filming, followed by Loren Janes for the rest of production. The Charger R/T was driven entirely by stuntman Bill Hickman, who also played the role of Phil, the killer’s main minion."

2012 Grabber Blue Mustang Convertible V6 Premium
1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
1995 Bright Red Trans Am Convertible
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Double clutching is a downshifting technique that promotes smoother transitions and lower transmission wear. It is useful for road racing, prolonging transmission life, and giving you an overall smoother ride.

In normal driving, with modern cars- you don't need to double clutch... ever. When you shift, these neat little devices called "synchronizers" or "synchromesh" (or whatever other name you want to give them) in your transmission help your shifting by matching the rotational speeds between meshing parts. Why do you need to match the speeds between transmission parts when you shift? Simple- they won't go together unless they're all traveling the exact same speed. Your synchros take care of this, so you don't have to worry about matching revs much in normal driving.

So the question now is... why the heck do you need to double clutch? It's useful in racing, it's required for non-synchro transmissions, and it's just a damn cool racing skill to master. Think of your transmission as being separated into two functional halves. One half is connected to your engine, and the other half is connected to your drive axles/wheels. The split between the two halves is right at your gears.

Let's say you're driving down the street in 5th gear. Assume that your gearing is 1:1 all the way though, just for simplicity's sake. Your engine is turning 3000rpm, and so are all the parts in your transmission. You want to downshift to get higher up in your powerband to pass someone, so you mash the clutch pedal, shift to 4th gear, then lift off the clutch pedal. If your 4th gear ratio is twice what your 5th is, your engine is now spinning at 6000rpm (along with the "engine half" of the transmission) while the "driveshaft half" of your transmission is still spinning at 3000rpm. Your car is still moving at the same speed, but you're higher up in your engine's powerband. Now you have more power to pass the person in front of you.

What normally happens when you downshift and don't match revs? You feel the car lurch some while the transmission forces the engine to a higher rev level. The synchros grip against each other to match the gear speeds, the gears mesh, and when your clutch grips- it pushes the engine higher... and you feel the rough transition. To smooth this out, you can raise the rev level of your engine and the "engine half" of the transmission so the synchros have less work to do, and so your transmission isn't pushing the engine around.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from*http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ar...lutching-3515/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robostang View Post
Probably early 60s. My 65 Mustang has a 4 speed syncromesh transmission. If I remember correctly the 3 speed transmission in that car might not have had a syncro on 1st gear but I'm not sure about that. No need to double clutch our transmissions for sure.
I had a '49 manual chevy. No double clutching required. I have a feeling only trucks and maybe tractors and such had to double clutch after early 40's.
I'll ask my 89 yr old brother. He'll remember.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I learned to drive on a Chevy truck with an unsynchronized 4 speed, so double clutching is still ingrained in my driving skills, at least to some degree. As others have pointed out, it is totally unnecessary on modern cars. However, I still tend to double clutch while downshifting, since it makes the shift into the lower gear easier and automatically has the engine rev-matched for a smoother downshift. Upshifting, I rarely double clutch, with the exception of doing a skip-shift where the engine has to drop considerable RPM... again, it just makes for a smoother shift. Does it save wear on the synchros? Sure, a little bit. Is that offset by some extra wear of the clutch engaging and releasing? Sure, a little bit. Am I worried about either one? Not a bit! I'm not racing or in competition, I'm just out enjoying the drive. If I can make a smoother shift by doing a double-clutch, then I do. If you want to learn to double clutch... great! If you don't... great! But don't let it worry you one way or another.
Old 03-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Probably some old broken geezer of a truck driver, like myself, told him that. I miss those old days of two sticks and double clutching. Fact is, it was easier to shift those with no clutch and just engine RPM's. With a little practice, they would feel like they were falling into gear on their own once you got it down.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the info. That's what I figured. Like I said, I've been driving manual for almost 25 years and have only had to replace one clutch and zero synchros in that time. Two of the cars had week over 100k

Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I had a '49 manual chevy. No double clutching required. I have a feeling only trucks and maybe tractors and such had to double clutch after early 40's.
I'll ask my 89 yr old brother. He'll remember.
Just spoke with my brother. He had a fair number of cars from the 30's and 40's and never had one that required double clutching. He also drove many trucks that did.
Different topic but interesting...He mentioned a car(couldn't remember the make) that was designed to help people drive a manual. It was equipped with a button that when depressed allowed the clutch to rise(engage) at a predetermined speed when you took your foot off of it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Of course nowadays there are many car companies that have incorporated electronically assisted rev matching features into their high-performance manual cars.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I do it occasionally for smoother shifting probably minimal effect on syncros but I don't know, I think everyone gets from FF movies
FM758713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Just spoke with my brother. He had a fair number of cars from the 30's and 40's and never had one that required double clutching. He also drove many trucks that did.
Different topic but interesting...He mentioned a car(couldn't remember the make) that was designed to help people drive a manual. It was equipped with a button that when depressed allowed the clutch to rise(engage) at a predetermined speed when you took your foot off of it.
DeSoto was one of the manufacturer's that had a clutch that was touted as a hill holder. You could pull up to a stop, put in first, go ahead and release clutch with foot on brake, no throttle, then take off when ready by simply pressing on accelerator. Packard was another that had a "hill holder". The DeSoto I was describing could be used as a manual 3 speed or when once you started by leaving it in 3rd could be used as an automatic. The 30's and 40's were very innovating years for car companies. Lots of competition. So accessories and creature comforts and Things to make the car so anybody could drive were a big deal!
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
DeSoto was one of the manufacturer's that had a clutch that was touted as a hill holder. You could pull up to a stop, put in first, go ahead and release clutch with foot on brake, no throttle, then take off when ready by simply pressing on accelerator. Packard was another that had a "hill holder". The DeSoto I was describing could be used as a manual 3 speed or when once you started by leaving it in 3rd could be used as an automatic. The 30's and 40's were very innovating years for car companies. Lots of competition. So accessories and creature comforts and Things to make the car so anybody could drive were a big deal!
I never drove one but I do remember the Fluid Drives.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Double clutching is a downshifting technique that promotes smoother transitions and lower transmission wear. It is useful for road racing, prolonging transmission life, and giving you an overall smoother ride.

In normal driving, with modern cars- you don't need to double clutch... ever. When you shift, these neat little devices called "synchronizers" or "synchromesh" (or whatever other name you want to give them) in your transmission help your shifting by matching the rotational speeds between meshing parts. Why do you need to match the speeds between transmission parts when you shift? Simple- they won't go together unless they're all traveling the exact same speed. Your synchros take care of this, so you don't have to worry about matching revs much in normal driving.

So the question now is... why the heck do you need to double clutch? It's useful in racing, it's required for non-synchro transmissions, and it's just a damn cool racing skill to master. Think of your transmission as being separated into two functional halves. One half is connected to your engine, and the other half is connected to your drive axles/wheels. The split between the two halves is right at your gears.

Let's say you're driving down the street in 5th gear. Assume that your gearing is 1:1 all the way though, just for simplicity's sake. Your engine is turning 3000rpm, and so are all the parts in your transmission. You want to downshift to get higher up in your powerband to pass someone, so you mash the clutch pedal, shift to 4th gear, then lift off the clutch pedal. If your 4th gear ratio is twice what your 5th is, your engine is now spinning at 6000rpm (along with the "engine half" of the transmission) while the "driveshaft half" of your transmission is still spinning at 3000rpm. Your car is still moving at the same speed, but you're higher up in your engine's powerband. Now you have more power to pass the person in front of you.

What normally happens when you downshift and don't match revs? You feel the car lurch some while the transmission forces the engine to a higher rev level. The synchros grip against each other to match the gear speeds, the gears mesh, and when your clutch grips- it pushes the engine higher... and you feel the rough transition. To smooth this out, you can raise the rev level of your engine and the "engine half" of the transmission so the synchros have less work to do, and so your transmission isn't pushing the engine around.

Shamelessly copied and pasted from*What is double clutching? | HondaSwap

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
That is not double clutching. That is simply rev matching on a downshift. Which is a good thing to learn to do.

Double clutching is where you push the clutch in to remove the car from a gear, then using the clutch again to put the car into the next gear (generally by rev matching). This can work for either up-shifting or down-shifting.

Basically, if the vehicle has synchros, it's not needed. If it is an older vehicle without synchros or a car with bad synchros, double clutching may need to be done on both upshifts and downshifts.

Here is a scene from the movie Bullitt, at 1:14, 1:20 and 1:36, those are double clutch upshifts.

So when the shifting happens in this car, he pushes in the clutch, revs fall to far, he blips the throttle to the appropriate RPM and goes into the next gear. It sounds cool but again, isn't really needed on a newer car. Also, notice that the Challenger doesn't do it.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:48 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
That is not double clutching. That is simply rev matching on a downshift. Which is a good thing to learn to do.

Double clutching is where you push the clutch in to remove the car from a gear, then using the clutch again to put the car into the next gear (generally by rev matching). This can work for either up-shifting or down-shifting.

Basically, if the vehicle has synchros, it's not needed. If it is an older vehicle without synchros or a car with bad synchros, double clutching may need to be done on both upshifts and downshifts.

Here is a scene from the movie Bullitt, at 1:14, 1:20 and 1:36, those are double clutch upshifts.

So when the shifting happens in this car, he pushes in the clutch, revs fall to far, he blips the throttle to the appropriate RPM and goes into the next gear. It sounds cool but again, isn't really needed on a newer car. Also, notice that the Challenger doesn't do it.

Charger, not Challenger. Also, I mentioned earlier that it sounds from reading like they used a soundtrack from a GT40 for the Mustang, so we really might not even be hearing the actual car in the movie?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-14-2016, 12:40 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Charger, not Challenger. Also, I mentioned earlier that it sounds from reading like they used a soundtrack from a GT40 for the Mustang, so we really might not even be hearing the actual car in the movie?

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Ya, Charger .. not sure what I was thinking. I have also read they used a GT40 soundtrack. However, if you have ever heard what proper double clutching sounds like, what you hear sounds exactly like that.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ya, Charger .. not sure what I was thinking. I have also read they used a GT40 soundtrack. However, if you have ever heard what proper double clutching sounds like, what you hear sounds exactly like that.

Agreed.

1979 Solar Gold Trans Am
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

When I originally copied that article, it had detailed instructions on how to double clutch, but when I pasted it, that paragraph was all jumbled up and didn't make any sense, so I deleted that part.
I was hoping that nobody would notice.
Damn you Ish.

That video clip was about 3 minutes of a 18-20 minutes chase scene. If I remember correctly, there was an in-car shot of Steve McQueen double clutching that Mustang. Regardless, it was Steve McQueen for god sakes... the dude double clutches! He was a badass! Haha
And did you see how effective that it was for him? He ran down that 440 Charger, with a GT 390, after spinning out, and making sure that the motorcycle rider was alright, in less than 60 seconds!
Try THAT with a modern car!
Old 03-14-2016, 02:29 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
He ran down that 440 Charger, with a GT 390, after spinning out, and making sure that the motorcycle rider was alright, in less than 60 seconds!
Try THAT with a modern car!
Haha.

Didn't they have to detune the Charger? I know they put the skinniest tires on it possible but I thought they changed out the carb to choke it down a little or something.

Either way, that chase scene is excellent and everyone should watch it as it is one of the best ever filmed. Also, the car on fire in the explosion at the end, is a Camaro..

I still personally think the original Gone in 60 Seconds (Elenor was a 71 Mach 1) had the best chase scene ever. That chase scene was also nearly half the movie and the story behind how they did it is even better. They didn't have permits for everything, actual public reactions (even running over to help people in "accidents" not knowing it was a movie stunt), not everyone knew what was going on, the police were actually police and not all of them knew it was for a movie, etc..
Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha.

Didn't they have to detune the Charger? I know they put the skinniest tires on it possible but I thought they changed out the carb to choke it down a little or something.

Either way, that chase scene is excellent and everyone should watch it as it is one of the best ever filmed. Also, the car on fire in the explosion at the end, is a Camaro..

I still personally think the original Gone in 60 Seconds (Elenor was a 71 Mach 1) had the best chase scene ever. That chase scene was also nearly half the movie and the story behind how they did it is even better. They didn't have permits for everything, actual public reactions (even running over to help people in "accidents" not knowing it was a movie stunt), not everyone knew what was going on, the police were actually police and not all of them knew it was for a movie, etc..
Max Balchowski built the cars for the movie. The Mustangs that were used had some performance upgrades to the engine as well as the suspension, to withstand the abuse of jumping the car on the steep streets of San Francisco. The engines were "hot rodded" by tweaks to the carb jetting, ignition timing, and the heads were milled.
Not to sure what all was done to the Chargers but they must have received, at least, some suspension modifications. I suspect that the engines didn't need much tuning because the 440's were pretty strong pre-70's.
I don't think that they would have felt it necessary to de-tune the Charger. It is, after all, a movie. They can do whatever they want with the editing.

Lol.
Now I'm going to have to watch "Gone in 60 seconds" again...
Old 03-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #25

Region: Canada
Actually I read that somewhere too. The chargers were so powerful they had to limit them by doing certain things.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
eats7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Please excuse my ignorance and/or misunderstanding but why would someone double clutch, which takes more time, rather than rev match when driving synchronised transmissions?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eats7 View Post
Actually I read that somewhere too. The chargers were so powerful they had to limit them by doing certain things.

Sent from my SM-G928W8 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
There is a lot of incorrect information floating around about the Bullitt cars.

The 440 Chargers were more powerful than the 390 Mustangs but they also weighed around 600 lbs more than the Stangs.
Depending on who you believe, and who was doing the testing, there was only a couple of tenths difference in the quarter mile times of the two cars.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:39 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Please excuse my ignorance and/or misunderstanding but why would someone double clutch, which takes more time, rather than rev match when driving synchronised transmissions?
I don't think that anyone in their right mind would actually double clutch a synchronized transmission nowadays.
In the movie, Steve probably did it for a more dramatic effect.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT