4.10 issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
4.10 issues

Purchased the Ford racing 4.10 gear kit form AM and 4 months after professional installation i had to replace the Rear Gear Pinion bearings because they began to whistle. I noticed that the bearings were grinded down.

My friend who owns the shop actually refunded my money as he though his mechanic installed my gear kit improperly.

Since i still had the original Bearings i went ahead and installed them myself at his shop again and 6 months later i replaced the oil and it was gray and the actual screw had metal shavings in it. It is time again to replace the bearings and i am trying to figure out what can possibly be wrong here.

any ideas or pro tips can hepl me. i have 2 weeks until i have to crawl under the car
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 11:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Some material on the mag plug is to be expected. I had a slather on my old car's about 1/8" thick on the factory 3.73s.

I'd say the setup on the rear gear might be shimmed too tight. Check the crown and pinion pattern as it sits and look at it's condition and how it turns. No noise? Don't also forget to take a look at the diff. Those little spiders can take a beating if you are aggressive with the car.

Why'dja put 4:10s in anyway? I found my '12 BBP a little less than ideal on factory 3.73. It would just ignite tires down low and forced me into a 28" tire at the strip to keep the car in fourth through the stripe.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Some material on the mag plug is to be expected. I had a slather on my old car's about 1/8" thick on the factory 3.73s.

I'd say the setup on the rear gear might be shimmed too tight. Check the crown and pinion pattern as it sits and look at it's condition and how it turns. No noise? Don't also forget to take a look at the diff. Those little spiders can take a beating if you are aggressive with the car.

Why'dja put 4:10s in anyway? I found my '12 BBP a little less than ideal on factory 3.73. It would just ignite tires down low and forced me into a 28" tire at the strip to keep the car in fourth through the stripe.
if i remember correctly it was not too tight, as it had minimum play. Will keep in mind when i take it apart.

you ever had 4.10s on these cars? .

The feel is amazing. i made a mistake by putting 20s on the car; i should have done 19" wheels instead to get a beefier tire. My best run is 12.085 on 295/35/20. if i can launch perfect and keep the acceleration rhythm just right without spinning i get on 5th about 200 ft away from the finish line. Not bad at all for not having the right tires. I am sure i could hit high 11s if i had 18 or 19" wheels.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Remember, things tighten up as they work so, I wouldn't shim it so that pushes it into a binding situation, even slightly, cause it'll cook off like a .22 round in a campfire.

I had factory 3.73s in the last one, which ain't that far off. The car felt very aggressive but, the dragstrip demonstrated that I probably would have been just as quick on 3.55s, without the need to go with a taller tire to keep 4-5 shifting out of the run and opening up my tire choices some.

There is a big difference between feel and actual performance. My focus was on the latter. I did 11.91 at 115 on a soft 91 tune with a 28X10X16 slick on the back. I felt I was pretty much maxing that setup, maybe 1 or 2 tenths in it I hadn't found but, that was about it.

I'm on an auto now, so, I have little incentive to go up in rear gear, as it certainly has been adequately proven to be of limited benefit in that application.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-21-2016, 01:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
There is a big difference between feel and actual performance.
Sadly, so few seem to understand this. Then when their car performs poorly they come up with excuses.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Sadly, so few seem to understand this. Then when their car performs poorly they come up with excuses.
Grabber blue 5.0....Do you happen to have any input on my subject? trying to get everyones thoughts and suggestions before i get to working on the car, thanks.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
His opinion and knowledge states that the stock gears are sufficient when it comes to speed.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by natestang07 View Post
His opinion and knowledge states that the stock gears are sufficient when it comes to speed.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
i am not building a racecar. You're telling me that 4.10s are useless on a 60 roll?. car did not gain HP by switching gears, it did not get faster, it actually lost top speed but the accelartion is increased significantly.

i am trying to figure out why the bearings keep going bad, i dont want to go back and forth on what is best for the racer kind.
Old 03-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

There is a right gearset for every application. It isn't about "building a racecar". If anything, race cars demand less compromises.

It's more than just rear gears, you have to match up what's in the box to best keep the engine in it's prime power production area longer. Steep gearsets are great for torqueless, revvy engines with very narrow spacing between the trans gears. They are a lot less necessary on a big V8 with a 4000 rpm wide power curve stock and a torque curve that's pretty flat from 3-7.

On your point, bearings going bad in a rear axle are only caused by 2 things: improper lubrication or setup problems.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is a right gearset for every application. It isn't about "building a racecar". If anything, race cars demand less compromises.

It's more than just rear gears, you have to match up what's in the box to best keep the engine in it's prime power production area longer. Steep gearsets are great for torqueless, revvy engines with very narrow spacing between the trans gears. They are a lot less necessary on a big V8 with a 4000 rpm wide power curve stock and a torque curve that's pretty flat from 3-7.

On your point, bearings going bad in a rear axle are only caused by 2 things: improper lubrication or setup problems.
i plan on dropping a VMP supercharger stage 1 in half year. Guess returning to stock or maybe 3.73 would benifit more?

darn bearings. i cant believe i possibly installed the set up worng. i have done this to my 04 and 06 GT with no problems.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Vmp? You should drop back to 3:31 or you'll have zero hope of putting any power down whatsoever. Pd blowers produce massive torque and there is no way any road tire will hold that with those gears.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster_1823 View Post
the accelartion is increased significantly.
Based on what? Do you have time slips to show this or is this one of those butt-o-meter feelings?
Quote:
Vmp? You should drop back to 3:31 or you'll have zero hope of putting any power down whatsoever. Pd blowers produce massive torque and there is no way any road tire will hold that with those gears.
This.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:11 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
yeah, my next build will be on point for sure. im not trying to build a drag race car but i enjoy buying the parts and working on my own cars. its an addicting hobby.

i think i may end up keeping this 5.0 and get smaller wheels to take advantage of the VMP. i still have the stock gears hiding somewhere. I can hear them calling me.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You don't need smaller wheels. The VMP will grunt those big wheels into motion without any problems.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Based on what? Do you have time slips to show this or is this one of those butt-o-meter feelings?

This.
You are the same ****** that drops smart*** comments on everyones forums. You realize that steeper gears make you roll at highr RPMs right? you do know what happens at highr RPMs right?

i could drop gears back to stock and probably run the same time i am running now with the 4.10s, we all know that.

if we talk about numbers only, you can put 2 mustangs neck and neck at 60 MPH, one bone dry stock and one with 4.10s and based on your response we can all assume the stock car wins the fastest time in your opinion. Theoretically the one with 4.10s wins. i say theoretically because we cannot compensate on drivers reaction times and shifting abilities.

i have sevaral ways to describe your response, so which other one you want to hear? Your hobby is definitley different than mine. We all have different ways on how we choose to work on our cars. You should really stick to the subject and reply with a solution instead of your dumb*** comments which are annoying and not helpful.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you have everything figured out then and don't anyone else's help.

Good luck to you.
Old 03-21-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
You are the same ****** that drops smart*** comments on everyones forums. You realize that steeper gears make you roll at highr RPMs right? you do know what happens at highr RPMs right?

i could drop gears back to stock and probably run the same time i am running now with the 4.10s, we all know that.

if we talk about numbers only, you can put 2 mustangs neck and neck at 60 MPH, one bone dry stock and one with 4.10s and based on your response we can all assume the stock car wins the fastest time in your opinion. Theoretically the one with 4.10s wins. i say theoretically because we cannot compensate on drivers reaction times and shifting abilities.

i have sevaral ways to describe your response, so which other one you want to hear? Your hobby is definitley different than mine. We all have different ways on how we choose to work on our cars. You should really stick to the subject and reply with a solution instead of your dumb*** comments which are annoying and not helpful.

πŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
MPT ghost cam tune
Quarter window louvers
3.55 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:36 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:

I agree totally with you on this, some people always know everything without first hand experience, I have 4.10's also and I have had them for 3 yrs and love them...! In my opinion peoplethat dont have them are missing out...
Boss IM, with Araid cai, bama 93 race tune, GT500 cat back, jba off-road x-pipe & longtubes, mgw shifter,4.10 gears, Aluminum Flywheel & driveshaft, Adjustable Panhard Rod, BMR adj. uca & lca, BMR relo. brackets, BMR Springs with 1.5" drop, BMR adj. swaybar, BMR tubular K member 1/2 drop motor mounts & BMR tubular A arms, steeda alu. rad. support, aluminum water pump pully, 85mm BBK TB, Rear seat delete. Boss oil cooler, Battery in trunk. AC delete, Evap delete
brianw64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

4.10 issues

I ran 4.10's in my 740+hp
coyote.

Recommend for someone no.

In my case and racing style and setup it worked perfectly

LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT