Oil Pump on Boosted GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-22-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Oil Pump on Boosted GT

Had a guy over the weekend that the oil pump on the coyote is not even good for 500hp? I have never herard this before. I have been boosted about 3 months now and did have a crappy day at the track once lol. I drive spiritedly most of the time. Anyone boosted switch? Have issues rom stock oil pump? As we all know everyone has advice but this is the first guy that told me that my "engine was going to go by by" if I didn't switch soon?

Love some imput.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It's the gears that can disintegrate under high hp/rpm.

Installing billet OPGs is the way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
jp1seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #3
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
From what I have read its the oil pump gear that shattered at high rpm and power.
Jn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 07:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
By that meaning well over 600 WHEEL.....

Billet oil pump gears widely available. Huge PITA to change as you have to remove the entire front dress of the engine but, cheap insurance if you are planning a max effort build.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
By that meaning well over 600 WHEEL.....

Billet oil pump gears widely available. Huge PITA to change as you have to remove the entire front dress of the engine but, cheap insurance if you are planning a max effort build.
OK, so you think I am pretty good at 600? I mean I do go to the track about 4 times a year. Might have to look at a gear kit to add to build list. I have seen a ford racing pump from Cobra Jet. probably a wash cause easier install but more expensive. Have to research more. Thanks guys. Any idea on good place for the gears? Based on quality?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I have never heard this before either....I am over 600RWHP as well and had a few mustang specialty shops do work for me. Nobody has ever mentioned this nor do I think it is necessary at all. Obviously looking at your mod list, you have dumped some serious cash into it and want it to last, but I say you are good. I mean really ,you can't push it much further without breaking rods/pistons anyways. So unless you plan on forging the internals and building it further, I say it's fine as is.
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
jamyzd30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I'd say you are. But that guarantee only holds until you aren't. If they do break, that's it for your engine, for sure. I haven't heard of anyone breaking them at that power level. Keep yourself limited to the stock rev limit and the odds are in your favour.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-23-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's very true, but who keeps the stock rev limit.......? That answer would probably be nobody who is modding heavy and running a tune. Damn it, now this has me concerned, I need to stay off these forums, lol. There are just too many other things I want/need and this was not on my list quite yet. I still need some wide wheels and tires to hook, I still need a upgraded clutch/flywheel. Reading some articles in reference to this does have me concerned, but for now I think I am going to pretend I didn't read them and keep my fingers crossed, lol. So how much would this mod cost? Around or over 1k I am guessing....?
Phase 3 upgrade including CAI, Fuel pump voltage regulator, (648rwhp), 582 torque, Kooks LT headers with off road H pipe, Vossen CV3's, ID1000's, Steeda Heat Exchanger, BMR LCA's,relocation brackets, adjustable Panhard bar, Rear sway bar, Steeda Aluminum driveshaft, X-brace, Differential cover, torque box brace/frame rails, Shelby trans cooler, Mcleod RST clutch/lightweight steel flywheel w/SS clutch line, RP fluids, whiteline transmission bushing,MGW race spec short shifter,Ford racing twin 65mm throttle body, Pro Dyno tuned
Old 03-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

**** man, 7000 rpm is fine on a boosted Mustang. There is no reason to raise the rev limit with that setup. The risk v. reward ratio goes out the window. The purpose of an SC is to raise the volumetric efficiency of the engine, thus you don't need to do that the n/a way, which would be to raise the revs, because you're cramming the cylinder full anyway.

It's at least 10 hours work to do the oil pump gears. It ain't rocket surgery if you take it easy and think a bit but, the whole front dress comes off, timing chains, etc.

Lots of companies make these. The gears themselves aren't expensive (about 3 bills). I think Livernois was the first to cotton on to the problem, in 2011. MMR makes them, too.

Old 03-23-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for info man, that makes me feel better. My rev limit is set at 6.9 I am in the process of learning about cars, and I learned quickly that my Roush had some short comings. Looking back I wish I would have bought a Shelby but they wouldn't give me the ford employee pricing,rebates, nor 0% for 72. So I am trying to build my car as good as possible and be safe at the same time as I will have payments for a while. All the information I learn from you guys is appreciated!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

thanks to all of you. This is why I truly love this place. I usually can smell the BS but sometimes people are convincing lol. I am contemplating forged internals and if do I will definitely do then anyway. Right now I just drive around town as a daily. I dont speed much over 10mph... I just get there damn quick lol. Considering I have made 6 track visits in last 18 months I will shelf it unless until internals. Or I get bored and want to waist more money on my baby, lol.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 03-23-2016, 02:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
As previously stated just don't go spinning it over 7k and you should be okay. The gears cant keep up with the higher velocity of the engine so the break up at the higher rpms especially with higher power. But again you should be alright. Anyways if your feeling adventurous enough to do it yourself here is a link to the complete write up with pics and everything.

How To: MMR Billet Oil Pump Gear's Install. **A FEW PICS****

Personally I plan to do mine at the same time as I supercharge since a lot of those steps will have already been taken. Two birds one stone kind of thing. Hope this helps out some more!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT