Suspension Questions 2010-2014 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2016, 09:47 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Suspension Questions 2010-2014

It's been said a thousand times "I was spinning" when it comes to a Mustang's traction.

What are the culprits of this? Is it a couple parts or the entire design of the suspension?

It SEEMS to me that Corvettes generally hook better judging from online videos? If that's so what is it about their suspension that's so vastly different than a Mustang's?

I know we aren't corvettes, I'm just wanting to build my knowledge on this because we all know power is useless if it can't be planted well.

Thanks for any info/links!
Mustang Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Coyote View Post
It's been said a thousand times "I was spinning" when it comes to a Mustang's traction.

What are the culprits of this? Is it a couple parts or the entire design of the suspension?

It SEEMS to me that Corvettes generally hook better judging from online videos? If that's so what is it about their suspension that's so vastly different than a Mustang's?

I know we aren't corvettes, I'm just wanting to build my knowledge on this because we all know power is useless if it can't be planted well.

Thanks for any info/links!
Did you try looking here?
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:41 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Mhmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Mustangs have wheelhop and spin issues due to soft rubber bushes in the rear arms. Replace the upper for wheel hop control and the lowers for ****s and giggles. As long as you aren't lowered you'll get some help here. If lowered you may need to put relocation brackets on to get your lower control arms aiming downward from the front mount to the axle.

The biggest single contributor to spin is inadequate tire size on this car. Even the Track Pack/Brembo cars only wear 255. 275 is what I'd say the car needs, minimum.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 11:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, after rear UCA the next larges contributor is track width... You can get an awful lot of that with tires. As stated if you've lowered your car, relocation brackets will be needed. They help add anti-squat which is what you are after initially. Chances are you will quickly firm up the suspension to the point where tires will be necessary to reap all the benefits.

To directly answer one of your questions. The mustang is not really all that different from other OEM applications. All OE stuff is for comfort and safety, you compromise performance to achieve that. Most if not all changes to your car to help it "hook up" better are no different than any other rwd car. The actual differences are which parts you change.

What have you done so far with your car? Do you plan on making changes? was this purely to learn, or are you considering something in the near future?
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
Yep, after rear UCA the next larges contributor is track width... You can get an awful lot of that with tires. As stated if you've lowered your car, relocation brackets will be needed. They help add anti-squat which is what you are after initially. Chances are you will quickly firm up the suspension to the point where tires will be necessary to reap all the benefits.

To directly answer one of your questions. The mustang is not really all that different from other OEM applications. All OE stuff is for comfort and safety, you compromise performance to achieve that. Most if not all changes to your car to help it "hook up" better are no different than any other rwd car. The actual differences are which parts you change.

What have you done so far with your car? Do you plan on making changes? was this purely to learn, or are you considering something in the near future?

Thanks for all the info guys.

I'm lowered on BMR springs. I intend on buying their boxed lower with brackets and adjustable upper. I'm thinking I'll be ok with the stock upper mount?? I also intend to fit a 305 back their soon.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I would not recommend under any circumstances boxed arms.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 12:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
I'm thinking I'll be ok with the stock upper mount??
Nope.

And the height of the sidewall is more important than the width of the tire.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Nope.

Only in extreme cases, otherwise a wider tire gives a larger footprint, a taller sidewall does not.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 01:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Only in extreme cases, otherwise a wider tire gives a larger footprint, a taller sidewall does not.
No way dude. You think a wide footprint with say a 30 or 35 series tire is going to hook with any decent power?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No way dude. You think a wide footprint with say a 30 or 35 series tire is going to hook with any decent power?
Vs what?

I said extremes for a reason....
Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind the tire footprint goes both ways....side to side and front to back. Depending on what you choose, you can enlarge the footprint both ways.

No radial sidewall is worth a damn for transmitting power on road surfaces, even a drag radial. The radial carcass is just inherently stiff so, concentrate on tire compound and as big a tire as the rim will hold.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-23-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Keep in mind the tire footprint goes both ways....side to side and front to back. Depending on what you choose, you can enlarge the footprint both ways.

No radial sidewall is worth a damn for transmitting power on road surfaces, even a drag radial. The radial carcass is just inherently stiff so, concentrate on tire compound and as big a tire as the rim will hold.
Absolutely tire compound is important. As for the footprint I was generalizing. It is not entirely accurate to assume track width increases with tire width. However same for the sidewall height, all it does is generally modify the footprint to be longer and not wider but the overall area is more or less the same. Which leads into discussions about vertical load, tire pressure, etc.

However as it relates to the OP a wider tire will help after control arms and before anything else, we both agree there.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 08:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Nope.

Okay, and why is that? It's best I go with a mount from the same manufacturer?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Quote:
I would not recommend under any circumstances boxed arms.

Ok, why is that? What do you suggest I go with?
Old 03-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Okay, and why is that? It's best I go with a mount from the same manufacturer?

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

Ok, why is that? What do you suggest I go with?
If you are not going to get a watts link, then I'd recommend spherical bushings. Boxed arms have little to no flex at all and will bind and over time the axle articulation will damage the boxed joint since it is solid and has practically no give.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 03-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Like a good old fashioned torsion bar, round tube resists twisting forces very common in the suspension action better than a box. a box, when twisted, will fail in mid flat bc of the work-hardening at the corners, if the stress is high enough. Round tube spreads the load all around the bar.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:13 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
How about the OP indicate what he has so far and go from there?

Based on his garage...
2012 GT with Track Pack

20x9/11 Saleen S197 rims, NITTO NT555 255/35ZR20 in front and 285/30/ZR20s in back, Eibach pro-kit lowering springs, aftermarket shocks & struts.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:07 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:

To directly answer one of your questions...... ?

Now, directly answer what the best setup is for 1.70 or better 60's.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:10 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

A slick tire and upper and lower arms. On stock bbp springs, bars and shocks, that was good for 1.5 to 1.6.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm at around almost 600whp. I threw on 275/60/15 MT drag radials. I'm hooking way more.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT