Passenger side engine tick.. - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2016, 05:35 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Well I couldn't stand it anymore and I left work early to drive out to the dealership and talk with them. To make a long story short, I think they put the janitor on the job. The old guy wasn't even in ford dealer uniforms like everyone else. I ended up getting the shop supervisor to take a listen to the car and he agreed it didn't sound like an exhaust leak. He told me he'd call ford and see what he should do next.

Now, I haven't talked to anyone in the shop but the supervisor, but he seems professional and intelligent. I'm hoping he calls me back with better news tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Wow. You didn't buy it used tho did you? Maybe it does and you didn't know? But if it doesn't you should run far away from that stealership.
And no I bought the car used but it was bone stock.
Billgluckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2016, 08:48 PM   #37
Registered Member

Regular

Passenger side engine tick..

I hope you get some answers bill

Did they offer up an explanation for the original diagnosis that Stevie wonder did?
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
Well I couldn't stand it anymore and I left work early to drive out to the dealership and talk with them. To make a long story short, I think they put the janitor on the job. The old guy wasn't even in ford dealer uniforms like everyone else. I ended up getting the shop supervisor to take a listen to the car and he agreed it didn't sound like an exhaust leak. He told me he'd call ford and see what he should do next.

Now, I haven't talked to anyone in the shop but the supervisor, but he seems professional and intelligent. I'm hoping he calls me back with better news tomorrow.
That's when you should have asked the supervisor if they had any experienced mechanics there.
Just kidding!
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
I hope you get some answers bill

Did they offer up an explanation for the original diagnosis that Stevie wonder did?
No but to be fair I didn't ask for an explanation. I walked in and told him I didnt have headers and that the noise I'm concerned with is not an exhaust leak, then I asked if he (the supervisor) would personally come and look at it instead of one of his workers.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:37 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
That's when you should have asked the supervisor if they had any experienced mechanics there.
I was ok with this answer because I think he's just following procedure. I don't think he's unsure of how to diagnose the problem but instead checking with ford to see if there's been a problem like this with these engines and getting the ok to tear into it with ford (warranty) money paying for their time.

Then again he may call me back and tell me my aftermarket flux capacitor is failing. Idk..
Old 04-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
You handled it right. No point in getting people's back up by questioning their knowledge or professionalism, regardless of what you know. Approaching the problem from a position of inquiry will keep people talking and prevent people on the other side from getting positional and stupid.

You are right to recall that eventually, the dealer is going to end up as a go-between you and Ford Corporate, which isn't a nice place to sit, as you take **** from both sides. Keep them on board as long as you can.

This essential strategy got me a rebuilt MT82 out of Ford on my last car. Little things matter, too, like leaving a case or two of beer in the trunk for the mechs and buying a gift card for the Service Writer when all was said and done.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

^^exactly. I don't want to piss anyone off. I just want it handled.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hard not to be pissed though, what's the warranty even for if all they have to say is, it's normal or your aftermarket spoiler is the problem or some dumb crap like that??

I have a bumper to bumper 100,000 mile warranty on my car, and don't think I would have played it as cool as you did if they told me that ****.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It depends on whether you want to win or lose. Lose your cool, you lose the fight. Makes it easy to focus when the stakes are high like that.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:29 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
"Speak Softly But Carry a Big Stick"
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:46 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I don't mean cuss them out but I wouldn't be nice about them telling me it was my "aftermarket" headers

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

I was pissed, trust me. I'm just trying to keep this as drama free as possible.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billgluckman View Post
I was pissed, trust me. I'm just trying to keep this as drama free as possible.
Did they ever tell what it was and will they repair it under warranty?
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Not yet.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I talked to the supervisor today. He apologized for the exhaust leak diagnosis, says there's definitely a sound in the engine around #3, they're pulling the valve cover monday to inspect the valvetrain.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:12 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
sounds like the situation is moving in the right direction

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:21 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

The guy called today and said my passenger side cam cap and head showed scarring. He wants to replace head, cam, and cap.

I'm not too sure about this "fix". The only thing I can think of that would cause this is debris on oil...I called the mechanic back to request an oil sample test but didn't get an answer, will try again later.

Anyone heard of this with the coyotes? I'm not feeling good about any of this and as bad as I hate to do it I may get rid of the car if I feel it's not fixed correctly.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I had a similar problem on a 2006 Dodge Charger Hemi.

Head & all related parts were replaced under warranty at approx. 20,000 miles with no further issues.

Sold the car in 2010, no other problems occurred.

RWSRWS
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Good to know but, I know it's gonna worry the hell out of me. I still don't know if I'm keeping the car or not.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

So they ended up replacing the head, 2 cams, and cam cap. On their test drive after the replacements my power steering went out, and they had to replace a harness or pigtail to fix that.

Got the car back yesterday, sounded great when i cranked it up at the dealership. On the way home, the car did something that's hard to explain. It felt almost like the car was trying to steer its self, the traction control light came on, and the car lost power. I would give it gas and the rpm would climb but I would barely accelerate, almost like my trans was slipping. As soon as I got the car home I could hear a light ticking from the passenger side. It's nowhere near as loud as it was before but there's definitely ticking come from the engine still.

I've drove the car a lot today, the traction control issue hasn't reoccurred, but the engine is still ticking. Very frustrated with all of this. They had my car for a month and didn't fix it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT