Cost to upgrade question... done modding? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Cost to upgrade question... done modding?

OK, I have been relentlessly doing things to my car for two years, lol. I have it looking like I want and performance wise I really don't think I can do much more unless I strengthen the engine.

Can anyone give me a ball park (or specifics if you have done it) for what the cost might be to upgrade the internals/black. I am pushing just over 600rwhp now and I know I could push more but I dont want to stress the limits. If I were to bore/sleeve, piston, robs, hardware, oil pump and, If needed, heads. What am I looking at to do a good job. Basically I know I can push 900+ with the Paxton and tranny and shaft I have. so the real key is will $3,000?? $5,000?? upgrade the rest enough to hold that safely?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 10:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Depends what you buy and how far you want to go. If you want a built short block and have someone local that does this kind of work, the cost can be a little cheaper and maybe you feel better about the finished product and support.

Or you can buy a built short block in a crate and do it that way.

Again, it depends on what your goals are. Built SB anywhere from 3-10K depending on what you sink into it, plus installation costs.

I'll remind you to gauge your own happiness level and see if more is going to actually make you more happy. You've already spent alot and are proposing spending alot more, make sure it meets your needs if you do so.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Depends what you buy and how far you want to go. If you want a built short block and have someone local that does this kind of work, the cost can be a little cheaper and maybe you feel better about the finished product and support.

Or you can buy a built short block in a crate and do it that way.

Again, it depends on what your goals are. Built SB anywhere from 3-10K depending on what you sink into it, plus installation costs.

I'll remind you to gauge your own happiness level and see if more is going to actually make you more happy. You've already spent alot and are proposing spending alot more, make sure it meets your needs if you do so.
thats where I am at really. I mean I love what I have done but at some point enough is enough lol. I am very happy with my car so I may just leave it. Still... more speed is always good to lol. Thanks man
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Raptinator would probably be the one to talk to about this. Just from secondhand information I've read the heads do not need to be touched for awhile on these cars. I know the On3 car was well into the 9s on stock heads.

You going to do the work yourself or have a shop do it? I know in 4.6L land just a forged assy and all the block work and hardware will run well over $3k for big power.

What about returning yours to stock and selling and picking up a Boss for $30k and then bolting your Paxton to it? Those dudes routinely push over 800hp on the upgraded stock internals.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
Raptinator would probably be the one to talk to about this. Just from secondhand information I've read the heads do not need to be touched for awhile on these cars. I know the On3 car was well into the 9s on stock heads.

You going to do the work yourself or have a shop do it? I know in 4.6L land just a forged assy and all the block work and hardware will run well over $3k for big power.

What about returning yours to stock and selling and picking up a Boss for $30k and then bolting your Paxton to it? Those dudes routinely push over 800hp on the upgraded stock internals.
SOOO in love with everything about my car, color, exterior, interior, tremec transmission, susspension. I would probably be better off swapping out bottom ends. is the Aluminator the boss block?

Considering everything really if I thought it was going to be $3-$5K it wouldnt be all that bad.

I would not do myself but the guy I really trust here in town for all work on all vvehicles says he has a machine shop he has used for decades and builds race cars there so he says use him which means I feel comfortable with.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
And if you swap for a crate motor is there much of a demand for yours? Can you expect much back if you sold yours? I'm interested in the answer to your post too.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
A low mileage good Coyote motor out of a GT should bring a pretty decent chunk of change back.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The Boss and Coyote blocks are the same. You sell your running, unventilated coyote you'll make good money but, Aluminators are hard to find and ain't going to be 3-5K....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 03-31-2016, 11:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
When I had spoke with a local speed shop about doing the rods/pistons and balancing of the assembly etc he was telling me 5-7. But since they would already be in there would I want to do cams. Then your looking more like 7-9k So like already stated obviously depends on what you want but if you want to just do a forged rotating assembly expect 5k or more depending on shop.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, you ain't far wrong. Do billet custom cams on a coyote, if you're going to.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:05 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Could cost $5k, but come armed with $10k for all the things you might run into along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

You guys are a huge help, i truly appreciate the answers. I just have to decide if I am going to keep going and going lol
Old 04-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingbeast5.0 View Post
You guys are a huge help, i truly appreciate the answers. I just have to decide if I am going to keep going and going lol
lol Well I think you should take a chance to pace yourself. Maybe just a little. I'm pretty sure you started messing with your ride after me, but are currently WAY ahead of me. Nothing wrong with that! just saying..haha and I feel like I have been rushing it along too. I can't imagine how you feel! Aside from excited
Old 04-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are going to keep going, you just won't admit it to yourself yet lol! Seriously, you have a stop point so to speak now and you love the car. You can enjoy it for a bit or, if you build, you open a new chapter in choices of building, mods etc. If thats part of what you love about the car, keep on going. Either way, you win!
Old 04-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
You are going to keep going, you just won't admit it to yourself yet lol! Seriously, you have a stop point so to speak now and you love the car. You can enjoy it for a bit or, if you build, you open a new chapter in choices of building, mods etc. If thats part of what you love about the car, keep on going. Either way, you win!
Man... Do you have a lawn chair planted in my head?!? Lol. My gf says same thing ur right. Oh well. Lol. Part of me wabts to save for a daily though... Like maube a viper or 350R??

Sent from my LGLS990 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Man... Do you have a lawn chair planted in my head?!? Lol. My gf says same thing ur right. Oh well. Lol. Part of me wabts to save for a daily though... Like maube a viper or 350R??

Lol. I'm kinda at the same point except I know I'm not going to build it anymore. Kinda nice to think I can just wash, wax n drive. But what if...haha.Best of luck and post progress!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:45 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

That's my reason for nitrous...no stress all the time and extra jam at the track when I need it....

Old 04-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Lol. I'm kinda at the same point except I know I'm not going to build it anymore. Kinda nice to think I can just wash, wax n drive. But what if...haha.Best of luck and post progress!
Ok... But what so u run with a heavy shot? If NA prob what i run every day way to work lol. Talking next level. Is it worth 7k for 300rwhp

Old 04-02-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It is if that's what you want. I'm running Roush tvs w smaller pulley, VMP tune, bap...
Nitrous scares me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
'12GT Premium, Roush TVS & BAP, VMP Elbow, 82mm, JLT CAI & Catch Can, Eiback Sports, Steeda Cambers & Adj UCA, Adj panhard & Brace, LCAs+Relos, Diff Bushing, Ford Diff Cover, Axle Catch Can, 3.73, Shaftmasters DS, MGW, BG Syncro II, Blowfish Shifter Support Bracket, Trans Mount Insert, MBRP 3" H pipe, Borla 3" Touring Pipes/Axlebacks, High Flow GT Grill Insert, Steeda Spyder Wheels (20X9.5/11), 275 fronts, 315 rears, Lakewood drag shocks, Cervini Hood, big smile

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT