Suspension Mod Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Suspension Mod Questions

I am modding the suspension on my 2014 GT Brembo, I will be getting the KONI Sport adjustable shocks and struts with H&R super sport springs. But i also want to replace my original strut mounts since they will clunk and make noise if reused. I just want to be clear that I Should buy the 05-10 KONI Shocks and struts so the GT500 mounts are compatible. Does this mean I have to buy the 05-09 H&R springs as well? I want the 10-14 springs cuz they drop 1.7F and 2.4R as the 05-09 drop only 1.9 in the rear.

Here are links to the parts that I am hoping will work. Please let me know!

The Springs I want -
https://lmr.com/item/HR-5169077/H-R-...-11-14-5169077

https://lmr.com/item/KON-0510AD/Koni...-Mustang-05-10

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-18183A/must...rut-mount-0514

ALso, If anyone has this setup can you please give some input on if the KONIs handle this drop well? How is the ride? Thank you!
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I dont think 11-14 springs will fit 05-09 Shocks/Struts.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointYoBro View Post
I dont think 11-14 springs will fit 05-09 Shocks/Struts.

Yes they will no problem. Plenty of info about this and why it's done
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Damn forreal??

Im debating on selling my bc racing coilovers and getting eibach sportlines and koni's.

It's cheaper to get the 05-09 shocks/struts with the gt500 strut mounts instead of $300 caster camber plates

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 04-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Yeah if you are just trying to get low and not going extremely low CC plates are a bit overkill. You can get away with the GT500 mount flipped with the 05-09 struts.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
I know I have a V6. But suspension-wise, it should be similar to the 5.0s.

I can confirm the 05-14 suspension is almost the same (besides the front struts). I also went with the 05-09 front Eibach struts so I could utilize the GT500 strut mounts
ZombieSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The ride quality of my 3.7 with the coilovers wasn't too great, real bouncy, I tried adjusting and whatnot.

So I haven't put them on my new car yet, still debating. Either sportlines and shocks/struts or save up for air ride

Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 04-04-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The ride quality of my 3.7 with the coilovers wasn't too great, real bouncy, I tried adjusting and whatnot.

So I haven't put them on my new car yet, still debating. Either sportlines and shocks/struts or save up for air ride

It makes me sad with the predominant lack of suspension knowledge in the stang community...
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
It makes me sad with the predominant lack of suspension knowledge in the stang community...
The problem is somewhat costs vs how well people can get EVERYTHING to do it right.

Most people go the cheapest and imo the worst route with springs and a panhard bar. Which IS cheap, but it is not the correct/full way to lower these cars. Since the suspension is different on these Mustangs vs. other cars. On other cars, you can sometimes get away with cutting the springs or putting lowering springs on.

Then you look at the cost of what it really takes to get a full suspension setup ($1,000+). Not everyone has that.

Me personally, I told myself I wasn't going to do anything suspension-wise until I could afford to get everything. I don't see a point in taking apart the stock strut assembly, installing aftermarket springs, and then 20,000 miles later going back and installing aftermarket struts to match the damper.

But everyone has their own opinion...
Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
The problem is somewhat costs vs how well people can get EVERYTHING to do it right.

Most people go the cheapest and imo the worst route with springs and a panhard bar. Which IS cheap, but it is not the correct/full way to lower these cars. Since the suspension is different on these Mustangs vs. other cars. On other cars, you can sometimes get away with cutting the springs or putting lowering springs on.

Then you look at the cost of what it really takes to get a full suspension setup ($1,000+). Not everyone has that.

Me personally, I told myself I wasn't going to do anything suspension-wise until I could afford to get everything. I don't see a point in taking apart the stock strut assembly, installing aftermarket springs, and then 20,000 miles later going back and installing aftermarket struts to match the damper.

But everyone has their own opinion...
Yep, you're spot on. I'm already over 2k on custom valved bilsteins, thats before bump stops and springs.. I had no idea when I started really looking how involved it would be and before I bought the koni STrs just how bad off the shelf stuff is. I will say this though, the H&R springs and Steeda spring rates have not been horrible. But yea it would be silly to swap springs but not dampers for travel length and matching valve settings.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 04-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Don't be sad!
With a community of this size there is a very wide range of experience/knowledge and only a very small number of the community are logged in at any one time.
Feel free to help educate or ask questions.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yep, you're spot on. I'm already over 2k on custom valved bilsteins, thats before bump stops and springs.. I had no idea when I started really looking how involved it would be and before I bought the koni STrs just how bad off the shelf stuff is. I will say this though, the H&R springs and Steeda spring rates have not been horrible. But yea it would be silly to swap springs but not dampers for travel length and matching valve settings.
Very true. I also went with doing the whole deal at once because with the 1 piece aluminum driveshaft, you have to get an adjustable rear upper control arm to fix the pinion angle on a dropped car.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I had all the right parts, just the coilovers aren't the greatest quality, but I mean, you get what you pay for

Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 04-04-2016, 02:32 PM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Regular
Supporter

I have heard some great stories about coilovers. But they usually are in regards to the more pricey ones for other types of cars. I have yet to hear a bunch of people swear by any coilovers for our S197s. As far as the BC or SR coilovers.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSlayer View Post
I have heard some great stories about coilovers. But they usually are in regards to the more pricey ones for other types of cars. I have yet to hear a bunch of people swear by any coilovers for our S197s. As far as the BC or SR coilovers.
Your best bet is to match different springs with off the shelf coilovers for mustangs. The right way is custom everything. I allmost want to buy these and try them out:
CorteX, Double Adjustable Coilover System, 05-14 Mustang

but in the end I think going custom is the best bet for budget vs quality
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 04-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'll probably end up keeping them and put on soon.
The bc coilovers are good for what you pay.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 04-04-2016, 07:57 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the replies, I wanted to do everything right on the suspension. I am going to be getting the KONI Sport adjustables with Maximum motorsport road and track springs (1.9F - 2.1R) with Maximum motorsport Caster / Camber plates (stock mounts on stock struts with SR Performance springs are clunking) and shorter bump stops. Still considering the adjustable end links but since I wont be tracking the car not sure if it is necessary for the little tweaks.
visback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Damn forreal??

Im debating on selling my bc racing coilovers and getting eibach sportlines and koni's.

It's cheaper to get the 05-09 shocks/struts with the gt500 strut mounts instead of $300 caster camber plates

Why you selling the BC racing coilovers? Just wondering because I'm considering buying that setup. Do you not recommend them? How much are you trying to get and how many miles you got on them?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renuco612 View Post
Why you selling the BC racing coilovers? Just wondering because I'm considering buying that setup. Do you not recommend them? How much are you trying to get and how many miles you got on them?

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
I was just thinking I could get better ride quality with some Koni's and springs.

They have like maybe 10,000 miles on them.
But I'm pretty sure im going to keep them.
For cheaper coilovers (under $1000) they are good.
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Be nice....this doesn't help anybody....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

QUOTE=5LHO;2352535]Be nice....this doesn't help anybody....[/QUOTE]

It wasn't intended to be mean. But I didn't feel like getting on a soapbox either. So I left it at sad.
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
Old 04-04-2016, 09:14 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I bought BBP because it was the best the factory offered. It ain't horrible. I don't want lower because I live in a real world of chuckholes and ragged pavement and I drive the car daily. Plus I'm slightly disabled and lower = harder to get in and out.

I did start with tightening up the rear arms and poly bushing the PH bar. If I was to do anything piecemeal, I'd get (after tires) shocks first, on stock springs.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT