tire mounting question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
tire mounting question

Received my micheline super pilot sport this week, called couple places for pricing and one of the shop told me i need my tpms sensors replaced too. Is this right? also is our wheels reverse mounted?
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
So you are trying to just replace the tires on your existing wheels that already have TPMS? If that's the case you don't need to do jack.

Second question, reverse mounted? Never heard of this. Maybe I've been living under a rock. Either way, I've had tires replaced on many mustang wheels and this sounds like garbage on top of the fact they are trying to gouge you on a new set of TPMS you don't need.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #3
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
I think he is asking if they are directional or omnidirectional? If they are directional there will be rotation arrows on the tire. TPMS only needs to be replaced if they go bad.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
So you are trying to just replace the tires on your existing wheels that already have TPMS? If that's the case you don't need to do jack.

Second question, reverse mounted? Never heard of this. Maybe I've been living under a rock. Either way, I've had tires replaced on many mustang wheels and this sounds like garbage on top of the fact they are trying to gouge you on a new set of TPMS you don't need.
yea just changing out the stock tires, called a dealer(non ford) and asked about this and they told me it needs to be rebuild because something about the base of the sensor goes out 3-5 years. I find tpms sensors to be useless for people who regularly check and inflates their tires.

I just want a shop that carries touch less tire machine but it seems only tire kingdom carries them. Its the same shop that wants to replaced tpms and reverse mount(extra $) my tires lol
Old 04-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
I think he is asking if they are directional or omnidirectional? If they are directional there will be rotation arrows on the tire. TPMS only needs to be replaced if they go bad.

I thought that also (directional) but don't see how that matters as far as price is concerned.

I've seen TPMS last 5-7 years. I wouldn't mess with replacing them unless they die to your point.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
yea just changing out the stock tires, called a dealer(non ford) and asked about this and they told me it needs to be rebuild because something about the base of the sensor goes out 3-5 years. I find tpms sensors to be useless for people who regularly check and inflates their tires.

I just want a shop that carries touch less tire machine but it seems only tire kingdom carries them. Its the same shop that wants to replaced tpms and reverse mount(extra $) my tires lol

I agree with your TPMS statement. I wish you could disable the system. But this is the world we live in. I hate seeing warning lights ect. So I would keep them just for that reason.

If you are really worried or they won't do the work unless you buy them I would find out what they want to charge. But you can buy these bad boys on eBay for cheap. I got legit ford parts for my new set of wheels for 50 bucks. And the shop that put my tires on my forgestar wheels didn't have the touch less mounting and they didn't put a scratch on them. I told the kid doing it there was a 20.00 tip in it for him if he managed to do it without incident. He was so damn careful it was almost annoying. So my point is you can get them mounted elsewhere if you really wanted. Just watch them do it! Hahaha
Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

as said, don't replace the sensors unless they are bad, he just wants to soak you for double what you could buy them yourself for

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
This may not apply in OP's case but here it us.

I had never heard of "Reverse Mounted" so I Googled it and found this discussion.
It all has to do with the design of the rim. Every rim has a drop center, i.e. a place where the rim gets narrower. When mounting the tire you need to drop the tire down to this area on one side to get the other over the rim lip. If the rim has a ridiculous outer lip on it will be reverse mount (i.e. the drop center will be on the back side of the rim versus the front side of the rim)
Here is an example of a normal mount rim (notice the drop center on the front side of it, not where he is pointing)
Click image for larger version

Name:	0802or_05_z+omf_performance_tech_bead_locks+drop_center_bedlock_distance.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	199241
So why is the drop center on the inside of some rims, and outside with most?

Reverse mount requires a special machine that grabs the wheel by the front lip.. more costly, etc. however, you have less chance of scaring the lip (if the machine has it's rubber paddings) as you are taking the tire mount bar to the back side of the wheels.

Im told that thats one of the benefits, but that its not the original reason for reverse mounting.

large lip wheel = drop center on the back side, all others on the front side (makes more sense to hide the drop center where the spokes are instead of the barrel)

Just went and had a discussion with our warehouse technician to gain some information.
Another reason for reverse mount is if the wheel has a flat lip with a lip of 2-3 inches or larger such as work vs-xx's. Also some wheels such as our V708 model are reverse mounted in order to not damage the face.

In plain text, some wheels just have to be reverse mounted because of their design.

EDIT:This may have come up due to OP looking for a shop that carries "touch less tire machine".
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 01:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

ah, good to know, thanks
Old 04-04-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular

Hey good info. Thanks for sharing
Old 04-04-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
As far as the tpms goes if they aren't broke don't replace them.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT