Airbag recall - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This is how ignorant the service dept was at the dealer I talked to yesterday. Gave him the vin and he told me that they will be sending me a notice in June for a "new style " of airbag that they are coming out with and that It was perfectly safe .... Didn't make any sense . Then he went on to tell me that ford gets all of there parts from the US ! Haha . Not saying I know everything about our cars but I'm tired of talking to these jerkoff service guys that don't know anything about a serious recall . Going to keep trying other dealerships I guess .

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
5LHO, the avatar is my actual car. Took that pic at the dealer, yeah I love the color and year same as your Stang lol.
Wmshoonover, could you tell me what is the name and phone number of your dealer in Kentucky?
PSmith129..Yeah I know what you are talking about, I had the same problems with other dealers, they are clueless, often inventing crap as they go along. Don't be shy, find a dealer you're comfortable with and use them, I did.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Dans5oh

Sent you a pm with website instead of posting online. Good luck since they only contacted me after they didn't have the correct part when I setup an appointment the first time.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
Dans5oh

Sent you a pm with website instead of posting online. Good luck since they only contacted me after they didn't have the correct part when I setup an appointment the first time.
Got it, thanks bro.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dans5oh

Hey bro, I just talked to your dealer, told me they installed the wrong airbag in your 2014 mustang. Said they are trying/going to contact you to bring your car back in. Hmmm something fishy...They said after you left they submitted the paperwork to get paid for the airbag warranty/recall work and was told there is NO airbag yet for our mustangs. Said they installed the wrong one in your car and will not work. Hope you can get ahold of the dealer and find out so you don't get another faulty airbag, good luck bro.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

They just called me... They put in new part... But it's not the correct one, so I'm back on the waiting list. At least they left it up to me if I wanted to put the old one back in. No air bag light so I said I'll keep it. Rather have a good part even if it's not the correct one then one that could end up hurting me if I got into an accident.

Tick, tock... Back to the waiting game
Old 04-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Was told as long as the light isn't on it should be fine. Like I told the service guy... Rather have one that won't go off then one that could shoot metal at me.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was told as long as the light isn't on it should be fine. Like I told the service guy... Rather have one that won't go off then one that could shoot metal at me.
I replied to your inbox msg too bro,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah you are right about try to keep the replaced one you have. Even if It doesn't work at least it wont go off and blow your face to bits with metal. When the correct replaced ones finally come, then go get it changed out. Wish my dealer would put in the wrong one for me haha, good luck bro.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:48 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

He told me you asked if you could get the wrong one installed too lol
Old 04-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He told me you asked if you could get the wrong one installed too lol
hahahaha yeah I did, he said. hmmmmmm we need those for other cars, hahahahaha, oh well, at least I tried.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:42 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
As far as I know Ford is replacing the air bags starting with the oldest first. This is because the defect is caused by corrosion of the igniter housing from humidity which allows it to shrapnel. So it takes time and the newer models probably will not cause injury if activated. Also Takata used ammonium nitrate in it's igniter which can absorb moisture and is probably the cause of the corrosion. Hopefully the new air bag will be a different design without the ammonium nitrate because that will most likely lead to it needing replacement again in the future. Some Honda owners have already had their "new" airbags recalled a 2nd time.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technolog...irbags/396854/
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguanaman3 View Post
As far as I know Ford is replacing the air bags starting with the oldest first. This is because the defect is caused by corrosion of the igniter housing from humidity which allows it to shrapnel. So it takes time and the newer models probably will not cause injury if activated. Also Takata used ammonium nitrate in it's igniter which can absorb moisture and is probably the cause of the corrosion. Hopefully the new air bag will be a different design without the ammonium nitrate because that will most likely lead to it needing replacement again in the future. Some Honda owners have already had their "new" airbags recalled a 2nd time.

Should Takata Airbags Be Using Ammonium Nitrate as Propellant? - The Atlantic
Wow. I didn't know that. I know there's a recall, but I wasn't sure of the cause. This puts me a little more at ease. Can we guess that the less-humid areas of the country will be less at risk?
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:34 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadcameron View Post
Wow. I didn't know that. I know there's a recall, but I wasn't sure of the cause. This puts me a little more at ease. Can we guess that the less-humid areas of the country will be less at risk?
If they are defective, could be anywhere.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:55 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadcameron View Post
That was the initial belief and the 1st Takata airbag recall was ONLY for humid areas like the southeast. The problem is that given enough time they were shown to fail in all areas. It isn't so much of a defect in certain igniters as a design flaw that affects all of them.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

smh, how do people in dealerships get their jobs.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT