Airbag recall - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Airbag recall

I'm sorry if this is discussed in another thread but I cant find it. Has anyone got their drivers side airbag replaced yet? My 2014 GT has been on the recall list since May of last year. I talked to Ford and they still don't have the replacements. There was another death today when a young girl in a Honda had her Tanaka airbag deploy and it exploded and sent metal through her neck and killed her. Our Mustangs use their recalled airbags. Does anyone have any updated information?
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Dans5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
holly crap, airbag deployed with a 15mph crash, thats very unfortunate. This is scary im still waiting for my local ford dealer to notify me.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I have a 2014 Mustang V6 and I too have that recall... just bought the car about 3 weeks ago and noticed it had a recall so I went and setup an appointment to get it fixed on my first day off (vacation)... well I get there and turn in the keys... they come in there a few minutes later and tell me they don't have the parts for the recall and that it may be a while, I was told to wait until I get a letter telling me there is a recall and then check again. He also said it could be July or later since Ford hopped on the Airbag Recall like many others did and they just don't have the parts ready for them yet.
wmschoonover is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

has all the death been hondas?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
I understand that there's a huge demand and they need a ton of parts but I'm starting to get annoyed because it's been just about a year already. My local ford dealer isn't selling any used mustangs until the parts come in due to them not being "safe"

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Seanp94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah im getting tired of the long wait too. Next month mine has been recalled for a year. I don't know how many deaths are from which make of car but we all have the same air bag. They said places that have high humidity make the air bags more dangerous. Also, I saw a thread somewhere that says we can pull a fuse and disable the drivers side airbag. Does anyone know if its true and which fuse is the one? I would rather drive without an airbag than to have one possibly explode in my face.
2014 GT Premium, Sterling Grey Metallic, 6sp, Brembo's, 3.73's, Comfort, Security, Spoiler Pkgs. Barton short shifter w/two post bracket, Redline hood struts, AM shifter ball, BMR lca, Roush axle backs.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

By the way, my Toyota had the same recall back in May 2015. I called Toyota and they replaced it the next day. Ford needs get their act together.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:24 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

dans5oh as i was looking up airbag fuse, found your post on one of the thread here. All 2005-2014 Mustangs under Takata airbag recall
fuse 31

manual doesnt indicate
Old 04-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My 2011 GT is going in next week for this recal to be fixed as it will already be in the shop getting the door replaced do to a vandalism claim, will let you know how it goes ๐Ÿ˜„

Sent from my iPhone using Mu
nicholasmadill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 09:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
dans5oh as i was looking up airbag fuse, found your post on one of the thread here. All 2005-2014 Mustangs under Takata airbag recall
fuse 31

manual doesnt indicate
Keep in mind this fuse doesn't just control the airbags. It also shuts off the fuel pump in an airbag deployment.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariusvt View Post
Keep in mind this fuse doesn't just control the airbags. It also shuts off the fuel pump in an airbag deployment.

yea i saw, so how do you disable the airbag? i feel even taking less of a chance with off than having it on.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Could probably take the cover off and disconnect the airbag from the harness in the steering wheel.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Yes, I have called a few times with no success. I am starting to think its a numbers game. Dealerships don't want to do it because they don't get paid full price on warranty work. Ford doesn't want to do it because they lose money. and the longer they drag it out the fewer they will finally have to do. Just play the percentages . Cars wrecked, cars sold and traded and sold again.. on and on.. so the paperwork doesn't catch up and then the group of you got your airbag notice, and you are told to call back.. (how many will forget about it) so instead of replacing 900,000 you end up only replacing 400,000.. Trust me they have very good bean counters who know the cost of doing it this way verses the original payout. When questioned about it on paper it looks like they taking care of it..
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:41 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerotaz View Post
Yes, I have called a few times with no success. I am starting to think its a numbers game. Dealerships don't want to do it because they don't get paid full price on warranty work. Ford doesn't want to do it because they lose money. and the longer they drag it out the fewer they will finally have to do. Just play the percentages . Cars wrecked, cars sold and traded and sold again.. on and on.. so the paperwork doesn't catch up and then the group of you got your airbag notice, and you are told to call back.. (how many will forget about it) so instead of replacing 900,000 you end up only replacing 400,000.. Trust me they have very good bean counters who know the cost of doing it this way verses the original payout. When questioned about it on paper it looks like they taking care of it..
...........profit over morals
Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

just called the local dealership about my 2011, lol smh same old line as everyone else, they dont have the parts, "youll get a letter when we have the parts" I asked the girl I spoke to "I realize youre just delivery the information given to you, but what is Ford doing to speed things up? there was just another person killed by a faulty inflator a few days ago" she tells me she'll ask the parts manager, few minutes later gets on the line and says "they say as long as your airbag light isnt on, there is nothing you can do but wait for the letter" so in other words, youll be fine as long as you dont crash your car, at which point its a crap shoot if you die from flying metal parts..........
Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I dont want to die like this...

....This is beyond annoying and it just makes me disrespect Ford even more. Yes its not your fault but you guys are a multi billionaire company DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

2012 101a Mustang V6 M/T 6-Speed
3.7Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's hard to say they haven't. Takata is the problem here. This company manufactures these things and they simply cant bring production up fast enough. There are dozens of car companies involved here and millions and millions of vehicles. The company will be likely driven out of business before this recall is concluded, if pressed any harder and then what? We are stuck with these things.

Now, just because there is a recall doesn't mean your particular airbag is unsafe but, an answer for those concerned in the meantime would be to remove the airbag module and find a way to wire in a resistor or whatever to mimic it being there and cut the wires to it. I wonder if anyone has looked into that....The fuse pull is a bad idea, because it disables other safety systems.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I just got call that the part is in stock and they stil set up an appointment to fix it.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmschoonover View Post
I just got call that the part is in stock and they stil set up an appointment to fix it.
Thanks Wink, I looked up that link you sent and saw it was about a year ago, no wonder I couldn't remember the fuse number, thanks...But I guess everyone is saying not to pull the fuse. This is starting to piss me off especially since my Toyota dealer had the airbag in stock and replaced it the next day, and that was last year. I checked with quite a few Honda and Toyota guys about their airbag recall and they ALL told me theirs was already replaced. Yet on this forum and others, it seems Ford is getting hosed on this or maybe its US getting hosed if they are playing the numbers game that Alerotaz alluded to. I will call Ford and ask if they know a way to disable the airbag without disabling all the other things that are needed. Seems they should have already come up with that and then instructed the dealers to do it until the airbags are delivered to them for replacement. Wishful thinking I know.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:34 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
Thanks Wink, I looked up that link you sent and saw it was about a year ago, no wonder I couldn't remember the fuse number, thanks...But I guess everyone is saying not to pull the fuse. This is starting to piss me off especially since my Toyota dealer had the airbag in stock and replaced it the next day, and that was last year. I checked with quite a few Honda and Toyota guys about their airbag recall and they ALL told me theirs was already replaced. Yet on this forum and others, it seems Ford is getting hosed on this or maybe its US getting hosed if they are playing the numbers game that Alerotaz alluded to. I will call Ford and ask if they know a way to disable the airbag without disabling all the other things that are needed. Seems they should have already come up with that and then instructed the dealers to do it until the airbags are delivered to them for replacement. Wishful thinking I know.
i wonder if its because most faulty airbags are on the Japanese cars and just some on American?
Old 04-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460224833.440938.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	199479problem solved lol jk. I don't think mine will get replaced any time soon, the dealership keeps saying the same. "They don't have the part in stock".

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Mine just got replaced today. About 15 mins to do it too. Good luck guys.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Cool, hope reemerges when some people get it done. I bought my car used so, Ford probably doesn't even know I have it. I should go down there and make sure they check the VIN for eligibility. I have a super late 14 so, there are all kinds of weird little differences.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 04-10-2016, 03:28 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Im glad to hear you got yours replaced. I have 2014 also so maybe there is hope yet, but im not holding my breath.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:44 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've heard nothing back from Ford or the Dealer after about 1 year ago. Its like having a loaded gun pointing at you while you drive. Although I dont think about it, just try not to crash.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I crashed heavily in Sept. Spun out, hit a tree with the passenger door and rolled the car. No airbag deployment bc limited frontal. That car save my life from what was essentially a non-survivable wreck. I self-extricated and walked to the curb to wait for police and fire. 2 busted ribs out of it. I think this car is safe, period.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:17 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
I've heard nothing back from Ford or the Dealer after about 1 year ago. Its like having a loaded gun pointing at you while you drive. Although I dont think about it, just try not to crash.
I Agree Blackie
Old 04-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I have worked for and with OM and supplier of auto parts for well over 15 years. If you look it up, the manufacturer is in almost every car brand.. These are going rather slow. and I mean slow!! The Toyota recall didn't take this long and they had models all along the spectrum. Im telling you , something is fishy here! LOL BTW I know a lot of recall stories and why they had the recall. Just not heard a peep on this one.
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What's the name and phone number of your dealer? I will drive to Kentucky to get mine replaced.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #30

2010 and I've been waiting since last September. I've called twice and got the same message. Wait for us to contact you when the parts are in. I think about it as I'm driving the country roads and deer-spotting - you just can't predict when those dang things are going to jump into you!
camarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans5oh View Post
What's the name and phone number of your dealer? I will drive to Kentucky to get mine replaced.
Not such a bad idea? Will any Ford dealer do the warranty work if you didn't buy your Mustang there????
Both Vert and Coupe 6 speed Corsa Sport Axleback GT500 Quad Exhaust, comfort package
GTGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

They have to, according to their service contract.

However, this isn't how warranty work happens. You can't expect they'll just have the part in stock and they'll do it for you, unless you are in the queue. Check your VIN locally to see that you are eligible, then start calling around.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:26 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTGirl View Post
Not such a bad idea? Will any Ford dealer do the warranty work if you didn't buy your Mustang there????
Yes any dealer can do it, and its not warranty work, its a safety recall. You just have to have the vehicle that has a recall on it. My Toyota had the airbag installed at another dealer. I called and found a dealer that had it and they said bring it in and replaced it the next day. I didn't even have a letter from Toyota, just told them my VIN. I live in another state and found a dealer that works with me on any issues I have on my 2014 GT. He told me if I find the airbag at another dealer he will call and try to get it shipped to him.
Old 04-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Hijack! Dans5oH, I like the avatar of your SGM....I can't stop loving this colour and year.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I actually bought a truck from dealer in another state and I had my local dealer do all the work and a recall... No issues getting it done either.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT