Spring is here, planning some mods, opinions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Spring is here, planning some mods, opinions

So planning to do a few mods for the car this year, I am hoping for new wheels, h pipe, maybe different lowering springs, and CAI/tune.

I want to go to a staggered 20's setup, but I want to increase the overall diameter to keep some more sidewall. I'm lowered currently on Steeda Sports, so I figure the bigger diameter will also help fill in some of the wheel gap. I live in NYC and the streets are pretty bad, plus 20s with the skinnier sidewalls just don't look right to me. I am planning to get DF5s from LMR or the 551s from AM, they are 20" 8.5/10. My car is a TP with the 19" Brembo wheels, I was planning to go 255/40/20 in the front and 285/35/20 rear, or maybe a little bigger if I can. The front overall diameter is going to be 1" bigger and about 0.8" in the rear, is that an okay setup to run? I know the speedometer might be off by 2 miles. My other choice would be to get 19" staggered wheels and get new springs.

Also was thinking of getting a H-pipe, mainly for louder sound. Only exhaust mod I have is Borla S axlebacks, I want to keep my stock cats for NY emissions, is there going to be much different in sound if I run a H-pipe after the cats? I am thinking about getting the MRT aftercat H-pipe.

Last thing is probably going for Steeda CAI/93 tune, is a catted H pipe going to do much with a tune? It will probably be more towards the end of summer anyway since my car will be paid off before end of the year.

Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That might freak the TPMS out, depending on what system you have and that's alot of lost gearing going that tall. I think it might look a little donk-y to me, personally and, those wheels will be as heavy as uranium, I bet.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 05:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, the DF5 are listed as around 28lbs each, and I think the stock Brembos are around 30lb, I was planning to get Michelin PSS, I think the total weight with tires maybe around 2lbs more per wheel. I would just go 255/35 for the front in the worst case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016, 05:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Your car has a catted H-Pipe from the factory already. Switching it out to a different one won't do any good.

Skip the CAI and just get a good tune from someone reputable.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was just wondering if it would make a different sound wise with an aftermarket H pipe with stock cats, I wanted a deeper tone.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
Your car has a catted H-Pipe from the factory already. Switching it out to a different one won't do any good.

Skip the CAI and just get a good tune from someone reputable.

This was going to be my suggestion. As well as mentioning you already have an H pipe.

I will also say I am running Steeda sport springs and staggered 19's and I don't feel like I have a ton of wheel gap. I'm not really a fan of 20's on these cars. Just looks a little big. I am a brembo car as well. Running stock size tires on the front 255 40 and 285 35 rear on the 19x10 forgestar F14's

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1460309621.301321.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	199548
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I'd like to try cramming 285/35s on my BBP wheels....I think I can do it!

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 04-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanine View Post
So planning to do a few mods for the car this year, I am hoping for new wheels, h pipe, maybe different lowering springs, and CAI/tune.

I want to go to a staggered 20's setup, but I want to increase the overall diameter to keep some more sidewall. I'm lowered currently on Steeda Sports, so I figure the bigger diameter will also help fill in some of the wheel gap. I live in NYC and the streets are pretty bad, plus 20s with the skinnier sidewalls just don't look right to me. I am planning to get DF5s from LMR or the 551s from AM, they are 20" 8.5/10. My car is a TP with the 19" Brembo wheels, I was planning to go 255/40/20 in the front and 285/35/20 rear, or maybe a little bigger if I can. The front overall diameter is going to be 1" bigger and about 0.8" in the rear, is that an okay setup to run? I know the speedometer might be off by 2 miles. My other choice would be to get 19" staggered wheels and get new springs.

Also was thinking of getting a H-pipe, mainly for louder sound. Only exhaust mod I have is Borla S axlebacks, I want to keep my stock cats for NY emissions, is there going to be much different in sound if I run a H-pipe after the cats? I am thinking about getting the MRT aftercat H-pipe.

Last thing is probably going for Steeda CAI/93 tune, is a catted H pipe going to do much with a tune? It will probably be more towards the end of summer anyway since my car will be paid off before end of the year.

Thanks for your input.
Personally, I would stay with the 19" and stock diameter tires and new lower springs to get exactly what I wanted for gap. The .8 dia change only makes a .4" change in gap.
The .8" diameter difference on 27" tires equals about 3% change, which is about the recommended maximum change in diameter without a speedometer correction.
I always thought a true H-pipe sounds a bit deeper than the stock hybrid X-pipe.
I think someone on here used a cut and clamp MAX Pro-Chamber on his GT for a deeper sound.
EDIT: Or does the GT already have the true H-pipe???
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
That might freak the TPMS out, depending on what system you have and that's alot of lost gearing going that tall. I think it might look a little donk-y to me, personally and, those wheels will be as heavy as uranium, I bet.
What's the concern on the TPMS?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

There are two systems on this car. One is the standard valve stem kind which is no problem. Where I live the system is a wheel rotation differential based system.

I throw my slicks on and I drive about 35 miles and then the light throws, even though the tires are only at 20 pounds and are much taller than the factory 19s.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There are two systems on this car. One is the standard valve stem kind which is no problem. Where I live the system is a wheel rotation differential based system.

I throw my slicks on and I drive about 35 miles and then the light throws, even though the tires are only at 20 pounds and are much taller than the factory 19s.
I did hear a little about that "wheel rotation differential based system" but had no idea it was being used already. Let alone on the Mustangs.
So is it looking at the rotation difference between wheels, regardless of pressure?
So all 4 tires have to be the same diameter?
Old 04-10-2016, 05:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, that is the system I have been told is in use where i live (Canada) and it's the only thing that explains the fact i have to wait 35 k for a warning when there are no sensors in my drag wheels. Tire diameter would affect it.

Old 04-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that is the system I have been told is in use where i live (Canada) and it's the only thing that explains the fact i have to wait 35 k for a warning when there are no sensors in my drag wheels. Tire diameter would affect it.
Interesting.
Thinking about it, it must be set to see a set number of tire rotations before it determines a sizable difference exists. Now the 35 miles you went, would likely be based on the lack of sensors. While I would hope the amount of elapsed time to detect an actual loss in pressure would be much more rapid. I'll have to research this to see what I can find on the actual details. LOL
Old 04-11-2016, 05:45 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
This was going to be my suggestion. As well as mentioning you already have an H pipe.

I will also say I am running Steeda sport springs and staggered 19's and I don't feel like I have a ton of wheel gap. I'm not really a fan of 20's on these cars. Just looks a little big. I am a brembo car as well. Running stock size tires on the front 255 40 and 285 35 rear on the 19x10 forgestar F14's

Attachment 199548
Your car looks very good oxford5pointoh, and it sits perfectly in that pic. I think I might stay 19s, may go with the RTRs or new Tech 7, have yet to see good pics of them on the s197s though.

I was just wondering if an aftermarket H pipe w/stock cats would make any difference sound wise, I would like a little louder deeper tone.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT