Lowering questions from suspension mod newb - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:32 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
I already have one...

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken and Milliken

*Edit*

I included a lot, but you can see in ride transmissible the spring rate of the tire is what we are using when determining how much force is transferred by the unsprung mass
Once again you are missing the point....we all agree that the sidewall is a spring.
What we are discussing is the weight of the wheel. You are suggesting that unsprung weight (in this case the weight of the wheel) has no effect on ride quality. So, if that were true a set of wheels made of lead would behave exactly the same as a set of wheels made from titanium. Which I hope we can all agree is ridiculous.

Tuned by AED
*694 RWHP/677 RWTQ* 10.22@136mph
Currently Assaulting California's Roadcourses
Fabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

The Ratio of Sprung to Unsprung Weight
"Automobile Ride, Handling, and Suspension Design"
Unsprung weight includes the mass of the tires, brakes, suspension linkages and other components that move in unison with the wheels. These components are on the roadway side of the springs and therefore react to roadway irregularities with no damping, other than the pneumatic resilience of the tires. The rest of the mass is on the vehicle side of the springs and therefore comprises the sprung weight. Disturbances from the road are filtered by the suspension system and as a result are not fully experienced by the sprung weight. The ratio between sprung and unsprung weight is one of the most important components of vehicle ride and handling characteristics.

Tuned by AED
Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabman View Post
Once again you are missing the point....we all agree that the sidewall is a spring.
What we are discussing is the weight of the wheel. You are suggesting that unsprung weight (in this case the weight of the wheel) has no effect on ride quality. So, if that were true a set of wheels made of lead would behave exactly the same as a set of wheels made from titanium. Which I hope we can all agree is ridiculous.
I never said that. I said that the spring rate will result in a more harsh ride than the increase in unsprung mass. Also I am not saying unsrpung mass has no effect... clearly it does since its part of the equation. Are you not reading my whole post(s)??

Lets re-cap

-I did not say you were wrong
-I did not say unpsrung mass has no effect on ride quality
-I did say that the increase in spring rate will affect ride quality more than the increase in unsprung mass will ALONE
Koni STR's
Air Raid CAI
Borla axlebacks
ShatterPoints is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatterPoints View Post
I never said that. I said that the spring rate will result in a more harsh ride than the increase in unsprung mass. Also I am not saying unsrpung mass has no effect... clearly it does since its part of the equation. Are you not reading my whole post(s)??

Lets re-cap

-I did not say you were wrong
-I did not say unpsrung mass has no effect on ride quality
-I did say that the increase in spring rate will affect ride quality more than the increase in unsprung mass will ALONE
Then we agree in principle. But before we say what has more affect, we would have to plug in some numbers...do you think a lead wheel with a 6" sidewall will ride exactly the same as a titanium wheel with a 4" sidewall? Of course not....so it becomes more about how much shorter vs how much heavier and what spring/shock rate is required to control the oscillation for a given package.
Lets agree that sidewall height, wheel weight, spring/shock rates all have an important role in ride quality and minimizing all of these will improve ride quality and give it a rest.

Tuned by AED
Old 04-15-2016, 09:06 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
And then we have coming...Predictive Suspension that can deliver a smoother car ride by anticipating potholes!
The tire won't even be allowed to drop into it.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
And then we have coming...Predictive Suspension that can deliver a smoother car ride by anticipating potholls!
The tire won't even be allowed to drop into it.
Courtesy of Ford
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT