Rough idle at cold start...HELP! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Rough idle at cold start...HELP!

So when I cold start the car in the morning, for about 20-30 seconds it sounds like it might be misfiring or something of that nature until the engine warms up and then the idle is normal....only does this on a cold start not a hot start. If you guys have any advice on what it might be or what I should do next...?

Car has off road H pipe
Bama tune
Stock intake
Red_Menace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 03:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Do you have an aftermarket airfilter and if so, did you recently re-oil it?
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Do you have an aftermarket airfilter and if so, did you recently re-oil it?

I do I have the K&N drop in-and I have never done anything to it but pull it out of the box and put it in....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2016, 04:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You might try cleaning your MAF sensor. I had the exact same problem you described.

Started after I washed and re-oiled my airfilter.

Cleaned the MAF Sensor and the problem went away.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You might try cleaning your MAF sensor. I had the exact same problem you described.

Started after I washed and re-oiled my airfilter.

Cleaned the MAF Sensor and the problem went away.

How do I go about cleaning that?
Old 04-13-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's really easy to do...

Check this ridiculously detailed video.

For the Mustang, you can remove just the sensor piece..

EDIT: I took a quick pic of mine. Unclip the connector with the red tab on it. Then unscrew the highlighted screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160413_174143.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	207.8 KB
ID:	199694  
Old 04-13-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

EDIT: I took a quick pic of mine. Unclip the connector with the red tab on it. Then unscrew the highlighted screws.

Just went out and bought a can and also bought a paper filter to replace that K&N

Cleaned it and put it together I'm gonna go back out in about 4 hours and do a cold start and see if that fixed the problem!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I had the ECM on my last car (2012 GT) get confused twice and inject a big slug of fuel into the engine and thus, had the motor bang around a little bit as it cleared the fuel, nice smoke cloud too. No bad effects and motor was healthy and making full compression. No explanation for that but, it seemed to be related to a start up-quick shut down and subsequent restart.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

It did the same thing when I cold started it this morning...appreciate the tip but it didn't work for me ☹️
Old 04-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #10

Region: California
is the car tuned?
S197BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by S197BOB View Post
is the car tuned?

Yes Bama tuned
Old 04-15-2016, 08:04 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

hhhmmm... that too bad. It sounds like the exact same problem I had. It was horrible.. the car sounded like it was stumbling and couldn't keep idling. It would even shake the car sometimes.

The only the other thing I tried was pour a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank.

Oh wait, now that I think about it.. there was something else that was different...

I also tried gasoline from a different station... it was a "top tier" fuel, but really all it did was make my car angry.

It seems like my car doesn't like any of those "top tier" fuels with the extra detergents in them.

It's happened from two different stations.. The Sinclair station and the Shell station with that V-Power stuff. My car does not like those gas stations. It exhibits the same behavior.. stumbling cold start ups.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I have had similar problems when tuning with older car and dealing with open and closed loop tables and conditions. The open loop condition is when the vehicle is first starting and the tuning tables commanding a "rich" condition, essentially just looking at the MAP/MAF and dumping lots of fuel. Once the vehicle is warmed up/up to temp then it will go to closed loop. Closed loop can then look at O2 sensors, cat functions, valve timing, spark timing, intake temps, coolant temps, etc. with the goal of making the most power. So it might be as simple as having BAMA look at the "open" loop part of the tune causing an "over rich" condition and the stumbling. Just my .02
Old 04-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by netman View Post
I have had similar problems when tuning with older car and dealing with open and closed loop tables and conditions. The open loop condition is when the vehicle is first starting and the tuning tables commanding a "rich" condition, essentially just looking at the MAP/MAF and dumping lots of fuel. Once the vehicle is warmed up/up to temp then it will go to closed loop. Closed loop can then look at O2 sensors, cat functions, valve timing, spark timing, intake temps, coolant temps, etc. with the goal of making the most power. So it might be as simple as having BAMA look at the "open" loop part of the tune causing an "over rich" condition and the stumbling. Just my .02

Good info! Thanks!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That's not actually good info for this platform though. This car runs closed loop during warmup and in almost all conditions anyway. Open loop is actually a failure mode.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
hhhmmm... that too bad. It sounds like the exact same problem I had. It was horrible.. the car sounded like it was stumbling and couldn't keep idling. It would even shake the car sometimes.

The only the other thing I tried was pour a bottle of injector cleaner in the tank.

Oh wait, now that I think about it.. there was something else that was different...

I also tried gasoline from a different station... it was a "top tier" fuel, but really all it did was make my car angry.

It seems like my car doesn't like any of those "top tier" fuels with the extra detergents in them.

It's happened from two different stations.. The Sinclair station and the Shell station with that V-Power stuff. My car does not like those gas stations. It exhibits the same behavior.. stumbling cold start ups.
Interesting... This is exactly what mine is doing after filling up a Shell. I'll burn out this tank and get fuel back at the corner gas station and see if it clears up...
A Faster Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I apologize for over simplifying the modes/loops. 5LHO is correct in that this platform does use closed loop for everything except "limp" mode. The tables have multiple variables though trying to get things up to temp quickly. The only true way IMO to know what the ECM doing is hooking up to a FULL scan/data logging tool. Then all the parameters can be combed over for 'cold' and 'normal' temps and look for the culprit. My Snap-ON scanner has found sensors, like the one person saying the problem being the MAF, but then it found a marginal O2 sensor heater on another vehicle. None of which would throw a code or turn on the check engine indicator. Side note, I was a past refinery engineer and not all the tanks will come out the same but are very close. There are also different blends of fuel depending on winter/summer, thank you EPA and gov't. Then each gas stations/distributors will add their own additives and it all adds up doing crazy things to our cars. Basically, it means its a process of elimination and hopefully you find it without to much expense or time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT