Autocrossing the 'stang. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-13-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Autocrossing the 'stang.

Hello fellow meet-ruiners and tank-slappers:

I did the SCCA autocross training last weekend and had a blast. It was a 2-day event and I'm hooked. This weekend is the first official event.

Anyone else do autocross in this category? I'm looking for tips and anecdotes of all shapes and sizes. What parts do you have that I don't? Any good ideas you want to share? Anything I should absolutely bring to the event? Absolutely everyone's opinions are welcome if constructive.

It seems that I've accidently created a pretty good setup for STX/STP:
  • Ford Racing Adjustable handling kit
  • Steeda LCAs
  • Steeda Intake/tune
  • gt500 axlebacks
  • strut tower bar
  • cg clamp
  • m/t street comps 255/305

Anyone else in Chicago region? There's a pretty amazing "instructor" in a red GT 3V that was looking very flat during practice. I think he does Cam-C. Pretty amazing to see a big car so light on its feet.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I do HPDE, not autocross, but my only bit of advice (i know its incredibly hard for me to follow) is don't add mods until the car is holding you back, not the other way around.

It is a lot of fun, and its incredible how good of a package the S197 really is. I would obviously look into your class rules to stay in a competitive class, but i personally would move to a square tire set up. Again, personally, i liked the feel much better. Granted road course and autox are about as apples to oranges as you can get, so i'll let some actual autox folks chime in on that one.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I appreciate your perspective. I'm new to "racing events" and never gave HPDE any thought... until after I learned about it at autocross. I'll be there next year, but the car seems to need more prep to do it safely; HANS. better brake fluid, etc.

I think it's a little late to stop adding mods, haha. The car does way more than I can do with it, but I'm hoping to catch up after some seat time. Plus, I love working on it. I love turning bolts in my driveway and improving it little by little, so I won't deprive myself of that.

I'm just hoping that I'm not missing something small that would make a big difference. Replacing a common weak link or something.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Autocrossing & HPDE are different, but doing some autogrossing will help you learn your car's limits.

During HPDE's they really don't want you drifting, but I push it to that limit at the end of an HPDE day when most people are already gone (tired out from the first 4-5 sessions of the day).
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadcameron View Post
I appreciate your perspective. I'm new to "racing events" and never gave HPDE any thought... until after I learned about it at autocross. I'll be there next year, but the car seems to need more prep to do it safely; HANS. better brake fluid, etc.

I think it's a little late to stop adding mods, haha. The car does way more than I can do with it, but I'm hoping to catch up after some seat time. Plus, I love working on it. I love turning bolts in my driveway and improving it little by little, so I won't deprive myself of that.

I'm just hoping that I'm not missing something small that would make a big difference. Replacing a common weak link or something.
This is the exact reason i do HPDE and not SCCA or autox. I like to tinker and dont want to be bound by any rules (aside from safety of course).

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Autocrossing & HPDE are different, but doing some autogrossing will help you learn your car's limits.

During HPDE's they really don't want you drifting, but I push it to that limit at the end of an HPDE day when most people are already gone (tired out from the first 4-5 sessions of the day).
our run group has a 45* rule, and some people definitely do push that haha
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Learn to drive first, then worry about changing the car...

The first time I went to an auto-x with my 99 Saleen, one of the instructors took me for a run... and beat my best time by 10 seconds on a 45 second course, with my fat *** in the passenger seat. Humbling to say the least... at least I got a lot of good pointers and a cool pic of my car somewhere with the inside front tire off the ground going into a turn...

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!
tfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
This is the exact reason i do HPDE and not SCCA or autox. I like to tinker and dont want to be bound by any rules (aside from safety of course).

Then you would like the CAM class rulebook. It is the only place that you can have a safe, dual purpose S197 (a guy in a 13 5.0 prepped for STP learned that the hard way on Saturday at NCCAR for Gripfest). ESP was just too limiting for my taste.

our run group has a 45* rule, and some people definitely do push that haha
It does tend to happen when I go from the Mustang to the S2000. The Honda does not like being hustled, where the mustang does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfalk View Post
Learn to drive first, then worry about changing the car...

The first time I went to an auto-x with my 99 Saleen, one of the instructors took me for a run... and beat my best time by 10 seconds on a 45 second course, with my fat *** in the passenger seat. Humbling to say the least... at least I got a lot of good pointers and a cool pic of my car somewhere with the inside front tire off the ground going into a turn...
Plus one on this. Find someone good, latch on to them, and you will learn a lot in a short time. Maybe look into SoloStorm as a driver tuning tool, it will highlight differences in position and throttle input (position is the most important thing in racing, if you are out of position, horsepower makes things exponentially worse).

Proving to my fellow racers that the disdain that some GT drivers have for V6 drivers is unfounded, one results archive at a time since 2013.
jande063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #8

Smile I almost went to that event!

I am from the chicago area! I might see you out there some day
sterling_5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT