Rear main seal leak - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Rear main seal leak

Mechanic said I have rear main pinion leak. So it is going to Ford. But what causes rear main seal to leak? 30k miles on car.

It doesn't feel normal when shifting up or down. As far as shifting goes it is very smooth/never grind but when I accelerate the shifter assembly or something hits against the shifter as I give acceleration. And downshifting it is weird I hate it.

If I hit 2-3k in 1st gear fairly quickly (for example) and just let the car bog down, I hear back and forth movement directly under me like something isn't secured firmly. It is pretty weird.

So when I take car in Wednesday to Ford, they will look at rear main seal but I guess I need to ask if they can isolate any other issues like trans mounts or something and not just fix rear main seal.
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Probably the driveshaft making the noise.

Are you auto or manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Rear main seal is engine (crankshaft)... Pinion seal is axle.

It does sound like something is loose... Driveshaft carrier bearing maybe or pinion bearing preload. Something definitely caused the pinion seal to fail early.

Any noise from the rearend on accel/decel?
A Faster Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What causes rear main seal (engine) to leak typically is infrequent oil changes, harmonics from engine operation or lots of high rpm. However, they can just start to leak on their own too. When they do and it's significant, they usually pollute the clutch with engine oil and that leads to its demise.

The pinion seal at the axle leaks usually because the driveline is misaligned, like someone has lowered the car alot and not put an adjustable upper arm on or, similarly, lots of stress, shock loads or high rpm.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Got car back from Ford. They replaced leaking pinion seal, refilled with fluid of course. They said it was leaking badly. It was a hell of a wait, arrived at 7am, left at 11:30 or so thank god for internet on my phone. I didn't think it takes that long but they were somewhat busy toady. Service guys were nice. I guess go earliest as possible. But it's fixed is all that matters. Cost was for parts $56.10 which they covered. Still feels like shifter is still the same but I have an MGW shifter brand new ready to be installed soon and sell the Barton and bracket.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well, clearly it's not the main seal at the engine, as that is pull the exhaust, trans, clutch, flywheel, etc.

The pinion seal at the axle can be replaced in a couple hours easy, if you know what you are doing.
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Car feels like it's pulling stronger. It was struggling at times it was annoying. Torque was like dead in some gears. I guess the fluid level provides the proper pressure in the differential gear. Not a die hard car guy know it all so that's my guess.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmustang01 View Post
Car feels like it's pulling stronger. It was struggling at times it was annoying. Torque was like dead in some gears. I guess the fluid level provides the proper pressure in the differential gear. Not a die hard car guy know it all so that's my guess.

If you actually think the car is pulling stronger after changing your pinion seal your drinking the koolaid. Your PINION SEAL.... NOT REAR MAIN. If it was your rear main you'd probably be the first coyote owner to have that issue. Your pinion seal was either leaking because some foreign material made its way in and chewed it up, or your pinion bearings are shot and it has play, causing the seal to wear like an oval. Hopefully that's not the case. Worst come to worst, if it is shot. You can upgrade your gears to 3.73's or 4.10's and while they do that change your bearings to new ones. As for the clunk, all of our cars do that. Is the Crappy 2 piece driveshaft ford decided to use. Just pretend the clunk isn't there.

94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94gtconvert View Post
If you actually think the car is pulling stronger after changing your pinion seal your drinking the koolaid. Your PINION SEAL.... NOT REAR MAIN. If it was your rear main you'd probably be the first coyote owner to have that issue. Your pinion seal was either leaking because some foreign material made its way in and chewed it up, or your pinion bearings are shot and it has play, causing the seal to wear like an oval. Hopefully that's not the case. Worst come to worst, if it is shot. You can upgrade your gears to 3.73's or 4.10's and while they do that change your bearings to new ones. As for the clunk, all of our cars do that. Is the Crappy 2 piece driveshaft ford decided to use. Just pretend the clunk isn't there.

Thanks for clarifying that. As for the driveshaft, I'll eventually change it out. The clunk when engaging gears wasn't always there and it's not loud at all. The peculiar thing is the Barton shifter and bracket was amazing when first installed, shifts were great. But I guess there is that breaking in period and although it doesn't grind gears it seems the transmission vibration caused something to fail along the shifter box and linkage arms but that's just a guess. If I give gas I can feel and hear the shifter assembly hitting the shifter. One day I heard something wierd under the shifter even my gf was like that doesn't sound normal. Car is drivable but the enjoyment of riding it sucks. The vibration eventually got worse and it's worse at higher rpm's. So the MGW will wipe away all the stock components and see if that stops the issues I am having. But one thing is for sure that is the last shifter install I am doing for good and will live with it.
Old 05-11-2016, 11:06 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
any update would be helpful, I also had that annoying rear-end-coming-apart sound every shift or press of the fun pedal

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
buschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't had the time to install the MGW race-spec shifter but will next week and will update. Ford did repair the seal and it feels the same driving the car before the repair. I get a lot of NVH noise from shifter and can't wait for the MGW.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #12
Supporter

Region: Texas
Why your installing the shifter I'd go ahead and do an SS clutch line and new fluid. My clutch line is next....
Old 05-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I could right now! I'll keep that in mind for the next install!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
You will LOVE the MGW shifter.......best thing I ever did to the car......so far!!
Coosawjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:39 PM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
You will LOVE the MGW shifter.......best thing I ever did to the car......so far!!

Mine still requires a certain "touch". Hopefully when I do my clutch like and fluid it'll help.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coosawjack View Post
I hope so seeing as the shifter is top quality and design and it's the last mod for the shifter. It has to be because can you not get any better than MGW design lol. In my opinion, Ford did a horrible job with the shifter and if it's okay design if you baby the car all the time.

The Barton and bracket was actually pretty decent as first, very short throws and I had no choice to install because the stock would grind gears, no matter how careful I was, all the time and it's not my shifting. Now the Barton performs similar to stock but the vibration got to it and the throws are the same as stock. So now the MGW will remove all the stock parts, pivot joints, and bolt on rock solid to the transmission.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:36 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Alright so the MGW shifter is finally installed and.....it's perfect. No notches or crunches at all. Every gear is exactly the same. Very smooth and precise shifts. MUCH quieter inside the cabin. Vibration is not violent or anything but it's normal. There is zero noise in the entire rpm range. Worth every penny! My mechanic said the guy in the MGW installation video sounded OCD because the shifter is nothing short of perfection. And he's right.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:12 AM   #18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmustang01 View Post
Alright so the MGW shifter is finally installed and.....it's perfect. No notches or crunches at all. Every gear is exactly the same. Very smooth and precise shifts. MUCH quieter inside the cabin. Vibration is not violent or anything but it's normal. There is zero noise in the entire rpm range. Worth every penny! My mechanic said the guy in the MGW installation video sounded OCD because the shifter is nothing short of perfection. And he's right.

Awesome! Wish mine wasn't so notchy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT