Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Question Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!

2014 Mustang GT / Manual

I hope someone can help me. So recently I installed a Steeda CAI with 93 octane performance Tune (using x4 Bama tuner), and love it! My car currently has the Corsa Sport Quad-Tip exhaust system, and I decided I wanted to install an X-Pipe with cat deletes. I went with the Pypes offraod x-pipe since it received really good reviews on Americanmuscle.com. Everything up to this point I've done myself, so I figured I could tackle installing an x-pipe and cat deletes. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for me to screw up

Here's my issue. There are 2 15mm bolts holding the passenger cat to the exhaust manifold. One of those bolts has to be removed from inside the engine bay, and not from under the car. In order to do this, the instructions say to use a 2.5 foot socket extension. So I went out to autozone, bought an extension, and went at it. I used PB blaster, and the **** bolt would not budge. FINALLY, the socket wrench popped as if the bolt had come loose, but it turned out I STRIPPED the bolt!!

My question is, what can I do now? I tried using a 14mm socket, and that did not work. The bolt is now toast, and there is absolutely no way to get to it from under the car.

Am I stuck having to take this to a local exhaust shop?

Would a local exhaust shop be able to get the stripped bolt out?

Will a local exhaust shop even install offroad cats (don't know if this is a legal issue in Michigan?)

Is there any other way I can get this bolt loose when its buried 2ft within the engine bay?

Also note, I'm using standard jack stands so I do not have much clearance from under the car.

Thanks in advance for any tips, or advice you give me!
ThatStangGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!

Bolt extractor

You can buy them at any auto parts store. Will do the trick
LSX 408 FTW
Dragging your a$$
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Other
Try a different socket. Are you using a 12 pt or a 6pt socket? Sometimes you can get a better bite with a different socket. I'd also put a swivel on it before the extensions. This will ensure you have it on that but nice and straight. Then if this doesn't work then I guess I'd look to to that extractor.
oxford5pointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxford5pointoh View Post
Try a different socket. Are you using a 12 pt or a 6pt socket? Sometimes you can get a better bite with a different socket. I'd also put a swivel on it before the extensions. This will ensure you have it on that but nice and straight. Then if this doesn't work then I guess I'd look to to that extractor.
I started by using a 6pt 15mm socket, then tried the 12pt 15mm socket. Both aren't gripping anymore. I even tried using a swivel before the extensions. Problem is I have a 24" extension attached to a 10" extension, so with the swivel it was hard to keep all three pieces stable while trying to break the bolt loose. I think using a bolt extractor is a great idea, but how in the world can I use a bolt extractor with a 24" extension?

Thanks again for the tips I'm sure I will get this to come off one way or another!
Old 04-26-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Cat bolt

You can also try using a long air chisel to split the nut.
I broke the bolt closest to the battery when I put on short tubes.
We drilled it out and welded a s/s bolt to the cat so it functioned like a stud.
You will probably need to chase those threads on the cat afterward, but you don't plan on using it again.
For that matter a dremmel may be able to cut it as well.
My son since got a set a torches, I wish I had them before!
Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Don't know if you can reach it with a small file but you don't have to take much off to get the next size smaller socket on.
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
RBK
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Well the first rule of exhaust work is to use a 6-point socket, which you did. How you stripped it is beyond me but now that it is done you don't have too many options. From what you wrote it sounds like this bolt is not easy to get to so drilling it out or using an extractor may not be an option. I just stuck my head under my hood to take a look and on my car, which is a 3.7, it looks like I could remove the exhaust manifold pretty easily, that may be your only choice if you want to do it yourself. You may have to cut the pipe to remove the exhaust manifold once it is unbolted but if you have a Sawzall it should be easy. Once it is out you can take it somewhere to have the bolt removed if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.
RBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

In the event you do need to go to an exhaust shop, talk to these guys:

Kenny's Lakes Area Auto Experts
490 N Pontiac Trail, Walled Lake, MI 48390

Right off the corner of Maple and Pontiac Trail. Good guys. Have done work for my parents in the past.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #9
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You were doing it lefty loosey correct?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugeismo View Post
In the event you do need to go to an exhaust shop, talk to these guys:

Kenny's Lakes Area Auto Experts
490 N Pontiac Trail, Walled Lake, MI 48390

Right off the corner of Maple and Pontiac Trail. Good guys. Have done work for my parents in the past.
Thanks, do you live around here? I work in Walled Lake, I will give them a call. Thanks for the tip!

I won't be removing the manifold, it is much harder to remove on the 5.0s. I may give it one last go with one of the bolt kits, but if that doesn't work, I'll take to an exhaust shop to see if they can at least break the bolt free for me.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatStangGuy View Post
Thanks, do you live around here? I work in Walled Lake, I will give them a call. Thanks for the tip!

I won't be removing the manifold, it is much harder to remove on the 5.0s. I may give it one last go with one of the bolt kits, but if that doesn't work, I'll take to an exhaust shop to see if they can at least break the bolt free for me.
I live in Warren. My parents still live next to Walled Lake Western (Beck/Pontiac Trail). No problem. Figured it'd be better if you went to a reputable place close by in case of all out emergency.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I didn't know it was possible to round off a hex bolt head (or nut) with a six point socket.
Are you sure you had the correct size socket?

Here are a couple of types of extractors. The first being rather bulky but fits a wide range of sizes.
Go2 Socket is one type

Name:   s-l225.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  3.6 KB
Irwin is another (fluted design)
Click image for larger version

Name:	k2-_92e7ed8c-6dc3-4237-90cf-dbd9101ed0a6.v1.jpg-ded544917db6374694384be9daa91beb75edd353-optim-4.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	200299
It appears that both of these have a 3/8" drive size. Which is what I would guess you used. Keep in mind that the longer the extension and the smaller the dia of the extension, the more twisting action it will have. The less twisting the better for torque transfer. In fact, if you were able to do it, tapping on the wrench handle with a hammer is helpful to break the bolt/nut loose. Similar to the effects of an impact wrench.

If it was me, I would have used my 1/2" drive extension, since it is much stiffer and would transfer torque better, especially when tapped with a hammer. Just some thoughts for future use.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #13

***update*** nut finally removed

Hey all, thanks to everyone for the tips. Today I went back to autozone and picked up a set of "Power Grab" sockets. I ended up using the 14mm socket and with multiple tries, finally got the nut to grip, and managed to budge the nut loose! I took a picture of the set I bought, and also a pic of the nut from hell. Hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into this issue down the road.

Highly recommend this set for anyone who runs into an issue with stripped exhaust bolts or nuts.

This is the nut that gave me so much trouble! I won! haha

I'm not done yet.I have a couple more questions. I got back under the car, and the other bolts are really tough to remove with a standard socket wrench. I think I am going to have to give in a buy some air tools. The other nut on the passenger side cat has NO clearance for any kind of socket wrench. What air tool should I used to remove that nut? I would need something thin like a standard hand wrench....but one I can hook up to an air compressor.

On top of that, the air compressor is in my friends garage. Will it be safe to drive my car to his house with only 1 nut holding the passenger side cat on? Or will I mess up the car, and start throwing codes?

Thanks again to everyone on here, you guys have been a lot of help so far!
Old 04-26-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Drivers side

If I remember correctly, pull the air box and sound tube and you can get those from the top as well. I remember trying to get them with a couple of 3/8 extension but ended up going to sears and getting the 24 " 1/2 drive.
Glad the nut extractors worked out for you.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 PM   #15
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You prob weren't seated evenly on it. I just did mine and had one person on top guide the socket in while I was under the car making sure it line up straight with the flange. to do this we need to use a wobble extension on the socket side, this allowed it to adjust itself to be at a 0* angle compared to the flange.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:18 AM   #16

Region: Illinois
I had the same thing!

This happened to me and it took me forever. I ended up using a bolt extractor like one of the ones that were listed above. It even took me time with that. Another Hint, when you put the new pipe back on I but the bolts in reverse so just incase I ever need to take it off it is easier.
sterling_5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Soak, soak, soak.... When I took off my cats, I had 6 sided socket on it, and man could you hear it cry as I broke it loose. Once i could get it to move..i was like whew! Dont laugh guys, but.. I have a set of Metwrinch for the 90's, they are my go to sockets on stripped bolts or old rusty ones that give. The new version are 12 point sockets that are not as good I have read.. Mine are curved inside and grip the center point.
Alerotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #18

Hey all, so I have another update! After using a 90lb impact wrench, and still not being able to break the other cat bolts off, I threw in the towel. I ended up taking my car to a local muffler shop and had them break the other nuts free. They had to use a torch to heat them up and then remove them. FINALLY, today I installed the Pypes down pipes and x-pipe with no issues at all. After uploading the new Bama tune, I took the car out for a spin, and man the car sounds and runs great! The only thing I have left to do is to get rid of the over axle pipes. Both of my resonators were dented from the previous owner, and I'm sure that doesn't do anything to help my exhaust flow. I just ordered the Borla over-axles from CJ pony parts. Once I get the borla OA pipes installed, I think I will finally be done with my exhaust project!

I will take a video of the car once I have the Borla over axles installed and throw it one youtube. Just in case someone wants to hear/see the final product.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:16 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Let me guess, flat spots on the resonators? That's factory bro.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:15 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Regular

Region: Virginia
Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!

Quote:
Let me guess, flat spots on the resonators? That's factory bro.

Do you know why they're dented? Let's see how smart you are : )

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mcturd81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:43 AM   #21

My bad, didn't realize dents came as a standard option on our mustangs. Haha. I'm sure there is a reason for them to be "flat", but you have to admit they looks like large dents. Either way I'm getting rid of the resonators and installing Borla over axles.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Do you know they're dented? Let's see how smart you are : )

Well considering I was right you can come to any conclusion you want turd.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
My bad, didn't realize dents came as a standard option on our mustangs. Haha. I'm sure there is a reason for them to be "flat", but you have to admit they looks like large dents. Either way I'm getting rid of the resonators and installing Borla over axles.

It's a common issue where people think they are dented. I'm going to be ordering the borla OTA pipes at some point as well. Good choice 👍🏻
Old 05-05-2016, 12:49 PM   #24
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Well considering I was right you can come to any conclusion you want turd.

Do you know why they're dented. I know you're right, I left out why in that post.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:
Well considering I am a turd, you're right and I'm wrong.

Ok cool.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #26
Registered Member

Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462474154.609619.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	200629
Old 05-05-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcturd81 View Post
Do you know why they're dented. I know you're right, I left out why in that post.

I've heard of a couple of different reasons the resonators came from the factory with a dent.
How do you know if your answer is the correct one?
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:31 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Did you just learn how to do that or something?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462494799.740662.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	200640
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Regular

Quote:

Oh!!!! So you're either a plumber or a janitor by trade? That's cool man. Hey listen...it's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it!

Old 05-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #31

hahaha what happened to my thread? All this talk about turds is making my stomach turn, or maybe I just need to go take a t...nevermind. So anyone actually know why they come from the factory like that? Now I'm curious.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:04 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Been there! I am glad you got it worked out. I also highly recommend those sockets for stripped bolts, they work very well.

Enjoy the x pipe now!

Mods 5% Tint All Around, 40% Tinted Windshield| Roush Axleback's| 4in Quad Exhaust| Eibach Sportlines| 20in Charcoal AMR's| BMR Panhard Bar| GT500 Diffuser| Bama Tune| X Pipe| GT500 Spoiler|BMR LCA's| JLT CAI|
50OHHHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I had to break down and get a set of those sockets too, man what a lifesaver. The other three also put up a hell of a fight, but in the end I was victorious, and now my car is loud as hell, lol.

Koni STR.t shocks/struts, Steeda springs, BMR LCA, and Panhard bar, BBK off road X-pipe, Pypes axleback, whiteline shifter/trans bushings, Bama 93r tune, JLT CAI, Barton shifter, Shaftmasters 1 piece DS, CHE axle brace, factory HID conversion, and track pack Brembo and Recaro swap
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #34

Well everything is installed, and I even took a video of a cold start and revs with my new setup. Let me know what you think. I posted the video on youtube, it can be found at the following link: https://youtu.be/LDfhkgSQWHE
Old 05-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well everything is installed, and I even took a video of a cold start and revs with my new setup. Let me know what you think. I posted the video on youtube, it can be found at the following link: https://youtu.be/LDfhkgSQWHE
Sounds and looks great!
And of course that echo chamber garage doesn't hurt either. LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT