Pinion seal leak?? Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Pinion seal leak?? Help

I have a 2014 5.0 ...I noticed the the other day this was leaking it looks like that piece isn't all the way down against the orange seal any idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Are you sure it's not coming from the axle vent? There is a TSB to add a hose.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1462065246.993561.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	200475

It looks like it's coming right at the pinion seal

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dude0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2016, 08:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
That is unfortunate. Sorry man.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #5
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Its a 2014... take it to Ford...
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I had the same issue with my 14 TrakPak at around 7k miles only worse.
I took it to Ford and they replaced it....apparently the OE seal is mostly plastic and the revised seal is metal....never had an issue after it was replaced. Quite a few 14's had this issue.
I assume it's still under warranty!?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It's NBD, take it to Ford. They can replace the seal without opening up the rear end in a couple hours. I've done it in my driveway on jackstands. It just takes a little careful measuring and marking.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Pinion seal leak?? Help

Heads up - I had the issue on my 2013 TP Manual within 36k and the three year warranty. They fixed it. WARNING - it is not covered after the warranty expires.

I had the same problem at 68k a few months ago. I had to pay $170 something dollars to repair it and that was on the cheap side if it. It was strange (durning the second issue) when the first dealer quoted me the price with taxes - that was about $280. I Called Ford customer service and got the run around. Basically they said that even though it occurred the first time at 28k, the warranty for the new part is only good for 12 months.

This is BS. I told them that they have a problem with the install procedure or the part. At the dealership service that I rejected, I was informed that the problem is common. They say that they get cars with the problem offend. I was also informed that the problem will occur over time if the the differential was over filled be the mechanic. I have not touched my diff yet. So that means that all fingers point back to Ford's part or their procedure.

I would not expect any new car to leak under 100k - especially twice in the same area and same seal.

It frustrates me that Ford would not stand by or fix their failure problems in this area. The is is a lot of money being made off of this problem....

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

When I had mine replace towards the end of the year...under warranty...their rear end guy said they had a revised seal that was metal instead of plastic...I took him at his word so I can't verify if this was true or not......the car never had another issue. Wednesday when I'm at the dealer I'll ask the parts manager and service manager if that was true and try and get a part number.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
older odder , Thanks for the info.

that's the problem - the question that most will ask is why does one "rear end guy" has this knowledge and not all of Ford. Second, one may ask why are we paying for a mistake that Ford made. I had to fork out over $170 for the second one, which means I may have gotten the same bad seal twice. And may others may do the same. Now possibly the third time. This sounds like a RECALL to me - or one may ask is this a Money maker...

Thanks for the info. We look forward to hearing his response.

SLP Loudmouth Axle Back
MGW Shifter (w/EPCO Rally II Shift Knob)
Pcanno167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

The old saying goes, "If you buy a used car you buy the owners issues, and if you buy a new car you buy the factories issues", couldn't be more true. The issue here is that not every Mustang is having this problem with seals going bad and what percentage would constitute a recall....the service manager at my Ford dealer told me that mine was the first 13/14 that the pinion seal had let go although after mine was fixed they have fixed 2 or 3 more.
Not sure what you mean by a "Money Maker", as Ford gets no kick-back on service from it's dealers and the dealers....at least my dealer....doesn't really care to do warranty work because Ford sets a limit on time spent to repair the issue and the dealer usually doesn't make much if any profit.
The thing that amazes me is that my first new car, a 70-1/2 Z 28 cost just over $4000 and in 2016 money it's over $25,000........inflation!#*@
Old 05-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcanno167 View Post
Heads up - I had the issue on my 2013 TP Manual within 36k and the three year warranty. They fixed it. WARNING - it is not covered after the warranty expires.

I had the same problem at 68k a few months ago. I had to pay $170 something dollars to repair it and that was on the cheap side if it. It was strange (durning the second issue) when the first dealer quoted me the price with taxes - that was about $280. I Called Ford customer service and got the run around. Basically they said that even though it occurred the first time at 28k, the warranty for the new part is only good for 12 months.

This is BS. I told them that they have a problem with the install procedure or the part. At the dealership service that I rejected, I was informed that the problem is common. They say that they get cars with the problem offend. I was also informed that the problem will occur over time if the the differential was over filled be the mechanic. I have not touched my diff yet. So that means that all fingers point back to Ford's part or their procedure.

I would not expect any new car to leak under 100k - especially twice in the same area and same seal.

It frustrates me that Ford would not stand by or fix their failure problems in this area. The is is a lot of money being made off of this problem....

I think the repair should be covered for the length of the 60K mile power train warranty or the 12 months, whichever is longer. It would not be acceptable to have a part fail at say 12K, then have it fail again at 25K and be told at that point it was no longer covered when in fact your power train warranty is still in effect.

In your case the problem seems to be that with 68K you are past the power train warranty and the 12 month repair warranty. Nobody covers repairs past the warranty unless it's a safety recall or a TSB program.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcanno167 View Post

It frustrates me that Ford would not stand by or fix their failure problems in this area.
If there were 'enough' cars that had this problem, Ford would have at least a TSB on it. It's not a safety issue so I don't see why you would expect them to recall how many hundred thousand mustangs they sold. It's a minor problem on an (apparently) small number of vehicles.

$170? I just replaced the pinion seal on my 99 Saleen with 64K miles. The replacement was $24 from AM, took about 30 minutes.

If you want a car a 100K warranty, either buy a car that comes with one or purchase an extended warranty that covers the time and mileage you want.

Saleen - Power in the hands of a fool!
tfalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mine went out at 7k ( or at least that's when I saw all the oil under there ). It was replaced and I noticed it again at 60,120 miles. Damn Ford. I think the vents are plugged because when I took out the fill plug, there was a pshhh * pressurized rear end. Ughg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
buschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #15
Staff
Regular
Staff

My boss's 2013 just had the rear completely go out actually.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschris View Post
Mine went out at 7k ( or at least that's when I saw all the oil under there ). It was replaced and I noticed it again at 60,120 miles. Damn Ford. I think the vents are plugged because when I took out the fill plug, there was a pshhh * pressurized rear end. Ughg

What you heard was probably a vacuum being released. That breather valve is a one-way check valve that allows heat expanded air out, but then seals when the differential begins to cool and draw air back in. It's designed this way so that for example if you are driving a fully warmed car through a deep puddle that might suddenly cool the final drive, water is prevented from being drawn in.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
OK, makes sense. I wonder if the seal really is leaking like the first time, it didn't seem really low on oil

buschris is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT