Weird Rear End Noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #1

Region: Illinois
Weird Rear End Noise

Hi Guys & Gals,
Well here is the deal, I have a 2011 GT and I installed a BMR upper control arm (non-adjustable) and no ever since then I have a whining noise coming from the rear end but it is only when I'm under constant power. It does not do it when off the throttle or when accelerating. I have taken it off made sure the suspension was pre-loaded. Any advice guys?
sterling_5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
This sounds similar to an issue I had about 6 months ago. I had a howling noise coming from my rear end which kept getting worse and worse over time... I thought I had a leaky differential, so I drained the fluid and refilled - no luck. After further analysis, and realizing I was beating the crap out of my car (hard launches and down shifts), I found the problem to be my pinion bearing was severely over tightened. This was in fact caused by hard driving, as the pinion bearing takes a huge beating when assisting in transferring power into the posi. Other than it being over tightened, it was damaged and needed to be replaced.

I ended up replacing my 3.73 gears with a full 4.10s rebuild kit, which includes the pinion bearing. This solved my problem entirely.
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling_5.oh View Post
Hi Guys & Gals,
Well here is the deal, I have a 2011 GT and I installed a BMR upper control arm (non-adjustable) and no ever since then I have a whining noise coming from the rear end but it is only when I'm under constant power. It does not do it when off the throttle or when accelerating. I have taken it off made sure the suspension was pre-loaded. Any advice guys?
It is possible that the bushings in the new control arm are transmitting axle noise that was already there. That is usually the case with harder bushings.
iguanaman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterling_5.oh View Post
Hi Guys & Gals,
What you said doesn't make sense to me...you said there is a whining noise only under constant power....I can understand no noise when you are off the throttle...to me accelerating and constant power are the same.
Not sure what gears you have...if they are 3.73's, they always make noise and as was mentioned the BMR LCA's will now transmit more noise because they are boxed tubing metal with poly bushings instead of pressed metal with rubber bushings.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Region: Illinois
Yeah I have 3.73's and the BMR does have the hard bushings so that might be right with axle noise.
sterling_5.oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
If you have had the gears installed with last 500 to 1000 miles and hear a whining noise when you decelerate it could be from the pinion, if you hear under acceleration it is most likely coming from the ring gear....3.73's make noise anyway....my 14 TrakPak whined and my 97 Cobra did the same when I installed the 3.73's...and they were Ford gears.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT