Power to the ground - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2016, 10:05 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you all for being so interested in the topic I've gotten a good laugh 😂 quite honestly I'm not sure which of you are right, and quite honestly I don't really care. I'm just glad people are standing up for themselves and not letting people walk over them..anyway my car is an 11 manual. I bought it used so stock gears as far as I know. I will probably eventually take it to the track just for fun but other than that I don't really care. but yeah while I'm there I'm going to want to win, obviously lol. it's a DD and I don't get on it much, but when I do it spins and kicks out a little. if I'm doing a roll and gun it I may get some wheel hop. thanks again everyone for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 10:06 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama5OH View Post
Thank you all for being so interested in the topic I've gotten a good laugh 😂 quite honestly I'm not sure which of you are right, and quite honestly I don't really care. I'm just glad people are standing up for themselves and not letting people walk over them..anyway my car is an 11 manual. I bought it used so stock gears as far as I know. I will probably eventually take it to the track just for fun but other than that I don't really care. but yeah while I'm there I'm going to want to win, obviously lol. it's a DD and I don't get on it much, but when I do it spins and kicks out a little. if I'm doing a roll and gun it I may get some wheel hop. thanks again everyone for the advice.
Now we have a starting point.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Revvv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

With a stock car traction shouldn't be too hard to come by with just a few simple bolt ons.

You can run decent times without digging into the rear end gearing. You will not get a super low ET, and your 60ft times will show evidence of a stock rear, but this is your DD.

Right now wheel hop is your biggest enemy in the search for traction. You will never get good track times with your wheels in the air. A set of rear control arms and better shocks will go a long way with helping you control your launches. If you lower the car a bit you can expect a lower center of gravity that will effect the car's weight transfer.

This is where I would start. Once you get things adjusted you will become addicted. You will find yourself learning more, and adding more. Before long your DD will become a track car.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 11:15 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
This is where I would start. Once you get things adjusted you will become addicted. You will find yourself learning more, and adding more. Before long your DD will become a track car.

I'm going through this transition now... It's painful having a DD which is missing significant tire tread and clutch functionality because you had too much fun over the weekend at the drag strip... But it's all totally worth it
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:39 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I started drag racing bikes after one trip down the track. The next week I was tearing the bike apart to improve handling on launces.

I spent close to a year 2 and 3 times a week at the track before I got my reaction times down and had a consistent low 60ft.

The speed was addicting. I bought a Hayabusa. From there I was running low 8 sec times naturally aspirated. The bike was street legal.

I miss those days. There's something special about running 160 plus mph in a quarter mile.

My first drag bike became a toy of sorts. I ran 211mph naturally aspirated in a standing mile. This was done with 4 carbs. Everything on that bike was changed. It was registered as a Honda, but the only thing that was an original Honda part was the frame. One trip down the track and I ended up with two lethal bikes. The Honda was worthless at the strip due to the set up, but it was an amazing road course and top speed machine. The challenge was keeping the front tire on the ground.

Carbon Fiber fairings and tank. Custom swingarm. The engine was bored and stroked with ported and polished heads. The carbs were ported and polished, and I had an assortment of jets depending on the weather and altitude. I could go on, but I'm already off topic for this thread.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:20 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvv View Post
My first drag bike became a toy of sorts. I ran 211mph naturally aspirated in a standing mile.
Wow! Too fast on a bike for this old man. I've owned a few bikes and rode them fast and well north of 130 but 211 is insanely fast.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:50 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Something I forgot to mention....

Since you're lowered you need to get relocation brackets for your LCAs.

I'm on a mobile so I don't have the link handy at the moment, but depending upon how much you lowered your LCAs can actually be reducing your traction.

Also, not in the handling department, but since you mentioned you're a manual and it's your DD, I highly recommend the blowfish racing shifter bracket.

If you have a lot of cash burning a hole in your pocket you can spring for the MGW race spec shifter which solves the problem indefinitely.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1DBLITZ View Post
Something I forgot to mention....

Since you're lowered you need to get relocation brackets for your LCAs.

I'm on a mobile so I don't have the link handy at the moment, but depending upon how much you lowered your LCAs can actually be reducing your traction.

Also, not in the handling department, but since you mentioned you're a manual and it's your DD, I highly recommend the blowfish racing shifter bracket.

If you have a lot of cash burning a hole in your pocket you can spring for the MGW race spec shifter which solves the problem indefinitely.

I'll check into it, thanks
Old 05-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Wow! Too fast on a bike for this old man. I've owned a few bikes and rode them fast and well north of 130 but 211 is insanely fast.
You never pay the speed any attention. Plus with the aerodynamics of the fairings, once you tuck in its nice and stable.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Here are some simple suspension upgrades I would recommend that will help you immensely:

-Lower Control Arms: J&M Extreme Joint Mustang Lower Control Arms 23942B (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

-Differential Brace: Swarr Automotive Mustang Swarr Bar 8.8in Rear Support swarr-05 (05-14 GT, 11-14 V6 & 07-12 GT500) - Free Shipping

-Adjustable Panhard Bar: J&M Mustang Adjustable Panhard Rod 23795B (05-14 All) - Free Shipping

And of course, you'll need some real rubber:

-Mickey Thompson Street Comp Tires, 275 or wider (depends on your wheel size): Mickey Thompson Street Comp Mustang Tire - 275/35-20 90000001616 (05-16 All) - Free Shipping

THe LCAs and panhard are great suggestions. I don't suggest those metal joint ones for a street car, poly bushings should be sufficient for most, and nice and quiet. I'd go with BMR over J&M but that's just my preference. Get the relocation brackets if you're lowered.

Skip the differential brace and definitely skip the Street Comp tires. They are by far some of the worst summer tires you can possibly buy. Michelin Super Sports, Continental DW, Bridgestone RE11, Nitto 555 G2s... all much better choices. And if you are on stock wheels, stick to 255s. None of the 11-14 stock wheels are wide enough to properly fit a 275 (yes they'll mount and lots of people do it, but they don't fit correctly).
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:55 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
THe LCAs and panhard are great suggestions. I don't suggest those metal joint ones for a street car, poly bushings should be sufficient for most, and nice and quiet. I'd go with BMR over J&M but that's just my preference. Get the relocation brackets if you're lowered.

Skip the differential brace and definitely skip the Street Comp tires. They are by far some of the worst summer tires you can possibly buy. Michelin Super Sports, Continental DW, Bridgestone RE11, Nitto 555 G2s... all much better choices. And if you are on stock wheels, stick to 255s. None of the 11-14 stock wheels are wide enough to properly fit a 275 (yes they'll mount and lots of people do it, but they don't fit correctly).
Not a fan of Mickey Thompson huh? Can't say I've ever heard anyone make such negative remarks about them... Some might agree that there are better tires out there, but not to say Mickey Thompson is one of the worst tire manufacturers in existence.

To each their own!
Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
Not a fan of Mickey Thompson huh? Can't say I've ever heard anyone make such negative remarks about them... Some might agree that there are better tires out there, but not to say Mickey Thompson is one of the worst tire manufacturers in existence.

To each their own!
Mickey Thompson makes some great competition tires, however the street comps are just rebranded Cooper RS3 and are utter junk. Unfortunately you aren't the only one who falls for the marketing and assumes that because they have Mickey Thompson written on them they must be good.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:29 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Mickey Thompson makes some great competition tires, however the street comps are just rebranded Cooper RS3 and are utter junk. Unfortunately you aren't the only one who falls for the marketing and assumes that because they have Mickey Thompson written on them they must be good.
I have street comps. 275 in back. At the drag strip my tires hook better than my friends 305 super sports which are like double the price. Althought He has a stick 370z compared to my auto gt. Whats bad about the street comps? List some instead of just saying its bad. Ive been over 160 and car is smooth, launched and had no troubles unless I cause them, been over 80 in downpour before i felt them get a little hydroplaney on me, I am satisfied with them especially for the price point. I havent gone back to strip since offroad pipe but I am low 12s at 115 in qmile. Looking to join the 11s club whenever my schedule permits.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkreg View Post
I have street comps. 275 in back. At the drag strip my tires hook better than my friends 305 super sports which are like double the price. Althought He has a stick 370z compared to my auto gt. Whats bad about the street comps? List some instead of just saying its bad. Ive been over 160 and car is smooth, launched and had no troubles unless I cause them, been over 80 in downpour before i felt them get a little hydroplaney on me, I am satisfied with them especially for the price point. I havent gone back to strip since offroad pipe but I am low 12s at 115 in qmile. Looking to join the 11s club whenever my schedule permits.

Taken mine to the strip as well, hooked up fine for me. Also pushed 170mph a few times and the tires weren't doing anything weird. It's hard to argue the quality especially for the price point. I do see what you're saying about the Cooper RS3s though, as Cooper bought MT many years back. If I had to choose though, I'd take the MT over the Cooper. Unless you are pushing big power (500+whp), I think the MT street comps are a fine choice.

Not trying to knock you noldevin, just my opinion and personal experience.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

I used the street comps on a borrowed set of wheels for a short time when one of my stock pirellis developed a sidewall bubble. I found that even though they were wider (285 vs my stock 255s), they had less forward grip than the stock pirellis. I then tried them on a road course. They worked well for a few laps but then once they got hot it was like a drift machine. They were terrible.
They can make a decent daily driver tire if you drive like a grandma but at that point I'd rather have all-seasons.

I am MUCH MUCH happier with my 275 michelin super sports. They are absolutely worth the price increase over the street comps.

As for what grim said, I don't think comparing tires on two different cars with two different drivers is a very good comparison.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I know cars and drivers matter, was just adding how I have seen the tires you backed have their issues also. My whole case wasnt rested on that was more on the other points TRMN8ER also backed. Its just good for everyone to post actual points/experiences instead of just feelings alone

Grimkreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:47 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

When I bought my car it had Michelin (not sure which model) and they were absolute junk. I'm a Nitto fan for street tires because I had the Trail Grappler on my old f-150 and Terra Grappler on my old jeep. I love my N555 on my car. Much better than the Michelins. Just that change helped reaction tremendously.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama5OH View Post
When I bought my car it had Michelin (not sure which model) and they were absolute junk. I'm a Nitto fan for street tires because I had the Trail Grappler on my old f-150 and Terra Grappler on my old jeep. I love my N555 on my car. Much better than the Michelins. Just that change helped reaction tremendously.
Michelin has a pretty large range of tires available, from touring tires to all seasons to ferrari tires... If you don't know what model they were then this doesn't really say much. That being said the 555's are decent and the new 555 G2s are pretty good
Old 05-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Michelin has a pretty large range of tires available, from touring tires to all seasons to ferrari tires... If you don't know what model they were then this doesn't really say much. That being said the 555's are decent and the new 555 G2s are pretty good

I know. I'm not saying Michelin is bad, just that tire in general. I think I had some bad ones, too. They ended up dry rotting and had chunks missing out of the inside of the tires. Funny part is it's a DD. Hasn't always been, but I'm sure it's been driven enough for the tires to not dry rot? Oh well. I'm okay with the Nittos

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT