Serious HELP needed!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Serious HELP needed!!

70-80MPH hood/front end vibrations. 2014 GT

Before you say that theres a thread that has covered this, I've already read it.

Heres the back story;
While driving down to Austin one Sunday, two weeks ago, I decided to open the car up. I do not do this often, I dont race or track my car. But, I wanted to have some fun. I got it up to 101 at a very moderate pace, 5-5500 RPM shifts, and the hood popped open. Got out, closed it, continued to drive normally and as soon as i got to around 80, my problems began.

Here's what I've done:
Balanced wheels
Checked all suspension components for faulty parts.
BOUGHT A F***ING DRIVESHAFT
And i just returned from a test drive with duct tape all over the front the car to see if it was wind.

Nothing.

So Im pleading for help. I do not have the money to keep buying parts for it to not solve anything. Does anyone have ANY advice to share before i get completely discouraged and give up and get rid of it.
StolenSinner09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Adjust the hood bumpers a bit; I think yours are too high, if the latch popped open like that....and check that latch. If that comes open at speed, it'll smash the windshield and likely wreck you. You are damn lucky that didn't happen.

You could also start by being smart and analyzing the situation instead of throwing parts at it....or just slow down a little until you figure this out. Think about it, why would your driveshaft suddenly go bad when your hood popped open at speed, or your wheel balance go off? It's likely related to what actually happened. This is a pretty ridiculous reason to get rid of a car.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Adjust the hood bumpers a bit; I think yours are too high, if the latch popped open like that....and check that latch. If that comes open at speed, it'll smash the windshield and likely wreck you. You are damn lucky that didn't happen.

You could also start by being smart and analyzing the situation instead of throwing parts at it....or just slow down a little until you figure this out. Think about it, why would your driveshaft suddenly go bad when your hood popped open at speed, or your wheel balance go off? It's likely related to what actually happened. This is a pretty ridiculous reason to get rid of a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I completely understand what you are saying, I also forgot to add to the list that I have adjusted my bumper. It was the first thing I did.

I also didn't just start throwing parts at it. A $700 driveshaft isn't something I would impulsively buy, thinking automatically that was the solution, it was a result of research and having multiple people tell me (with them looking at it with the car off the ground) that my carrier bearing was shot.

Now with having tried all these possible solutions, and spending damn near $1000 and getting absolutely nowhere, I hope you can understand my frustration.

I do appreciate your input and advice, this isn't me criticizing you, but just me hoping to explain to you and future advice givers where I'm standing when I originally posted this.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Is the undertray in good condition on the car? Any damage to these plastic pieces under the engine can have serious consequences.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 05-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I had a very similar issue to what you're describing, and it took me a while to figure it out, but I did end up figuring it out. So please hear me out with what I am describing.

First I'll start with how my issue began. I was parked (front facing curb) in a stall on a downhill sloped lot. In front of my car was a standard curb, where on the other side of the curb was plants and dirt. I went to back out, thought the car was in reverse, gave it a little gas since I was on a slope, and basically launched my car forward... the car was in 1st gear (yes that was very stupid, please laugh with me!). As a result, my front bumper cleared the curb, but slammed into the dirt and plants on the other side until my tires hit the curb itself. My front bumper became dislodged from its side brackets, and I had to snap them back in. I thought that was the end of it... unfortunately it was not.

After that incident, during highway speeds driving (60-90mph), my hood began rapidly vibrating / rattling, which looked like 1+ inches of movement on the hood itself. I troubleshot the latches and pins in the hood etc. - no soup.

Skipping over more irrelevant details, my issue ended up being a torn underbelly air deflector from the curb I hit. Air was not flowing under the car as designed, due to the tear in the deflector. Instead, lots of air was entering the engine compartment from the tear in the deflector. I am not sure of the technical details, but that air is not meant to be in the engine compartment - the car had no way to expel the unnecessary air. In return, the additional air was forcing its way out of the engine compartment in any possible way... which ended up causing the massive vibrations / rattling of the hood. The air was pushing the hood up to escape.

Once I replaced the torn underbelly air deflector, my problem was resolved 100%. Now I am not sure if this is your exact issue, but your problem is very likely due to incorrect airflow into your engine compartment.

Here is a link to the exact part I am referencing: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lowe...All%20Products
TRMN8ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

This is exactly an example of what I am referring to.....
Old 05-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

That's completely wild! But I'll take a look. Did you just end up having to replace the whole damper? Appreciate the advice, you two!
Old 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

TRMN8ER that's a great answer to this dudes problem. Gosh who would ever think air would come up threw the bottom that hard and force an issue like that. GREAT info. Hope this is StolenSinners issue and it gets fixed.
2012 Grabber blue, Auto, Eibach pro street S coilovers, MM caster/camber plates, Borla ATAK cat back, off road X pipe, A.E.M CAI, SCT-x4 Mike Roush tune,SR LCA's, BMR Relocation brackets, J&M Pan hard bar, UPR Catch can, SVE 15x10's, Mickey T's 275-60-15.
grabber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

aerodynamics is half art, half science and the forces here are not to be toyed with.

Old 05-07-2016, 07:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
That's completely wild! But I'll take a look. Did you just end up having to replace the whole damper? Appreciate the advice, you two!
The only thing I replaced was the underbelly air deflector. Self install is 20 minutes or less - its held in by 8 or so screws.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Is it not under warranty or something?
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Not if you rip it off on a kerb....

On the 13+ cars it's held in by 19 long skinny screws with fender washers on....

What the thing does primarily is aid the cooling system by placing an area of negative pressure underhood but it also smooths airflow under the car as well, as you can see from termini8r's example.

Old 05-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRMN8ER View Post
I had a very similar issue to what you're describing, and it took me a while to figure it out, but I did end up figuring it out. So please hear me out with what I am describing.

First I'll start with how my issue began. I was parked (front facing curb) in a stall on a downhill sloped lot. In front of my car was a standard curb, where on the other side of the curb was plants and dirt. I went to back out, thought the car was in reverse, gave it a little gas since I was on a slope, and basically launched my car forward... the car was in 1st gear (yes that was very stupid, please laugh with me!). As a result, my front bumper cleared the curb, but slammed into the dirt and plants on the other side until my tires hit the curb itself. My front bumper became dislodged from its side brackets, and I had to snap them back in. I thought that was the end of it... unfortunately it was not.

After that incident, during highway speeds driving (60-90mph), my hood began rapidly vibrating / rattling, which looked like 1+ inches of movement on the hood itself. I troubleshot the latches and pins in the hood etc. - no soup.

Skipping over more irrelevant details, my issue ended up being a torn underbelly air deflector from the curb I hit. Air was not flowing under the car as designed, due to the tear in the deflector. Instead, lots of air was entering the engine compartment from the tear in the deflector. I am not sure of the technical details, but that air is not meant to be in the engine compartment - the car had no way to expel the unnecessary air. In return, the additional air was forcing its way out of the engine compartment in any possible way... which ended up causing the massive vibrations / rattling of the hood. The air was pushing the hood up to escape.

Once I replaced the torn underbelly air deflector, my problem was resolved 100%. Now I am not sure if this is your exact issue, but your problem is very likely due to incorrect airflow into your engine compartment.

Here is a link to the exact part I am referencing: http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-lowe...All%20Products

Same issue , you're spot on with the deflector as mine is torn also . I have a similar embarrassing story . I broke my deflector by not putting my car in gear when I parked it and the e brake either disengaged or I didn't put it on. Car rolled forward into the curb and bushes luckily clearing the bumper by a hair . That little plastic piece is somewhat important though . Who would have thought

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Psmith129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
By popped open, did it just unlatch, or did the hood fly up while driving?

Factory hood?

Have the latching mechanism and rubber bumpers been checked?
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You bought a driveshaft to fix a hood vibrations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Maroon Chevy Cruze LTZ
2011 Performance White V6 Premium SOLD
king_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
if stuff is out of sync/sound weird it's because I merged two threads.

5LHO again!

and they also get ripped off by hunks of truck retread (learned that one from experience)
Old 05-08-2016, 11:54 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not if you rip it off on a kerb....

On the 13+ cars it's held in by 19 long skinny screws with fender washers on....

What the thing does primarily is aid the cooling system by placing an arcade negative pressure Underwood but it also smooths airflow under the car as well, as you can see from termini8r's example.
Maybe it's more than 8 screws... lol. But my point is, it's a very easy self install.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It just unlatched. Didn't fly all the way open. But I've checked my latch and compared it to my friend's. No difference.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by king_13 View Post
You bought a driveshaft to fix a hood vibrations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, because I researched this issue and most people that had the same issue, was due to broken carrier bearing. After looking at mine, and having a few mechanics look at it, it was said to be faulty. So, new driveshaft it was.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

So, I was able to find some time today and got the car up and inspected the deflector. It was sagging in near the splash guard. My guess is when the hood popped open, the rush of air that entered the hood blew the deflector off the screws. So I did a hasty mend on it with some duct tape...aaaaand I just got done going 110...smoothly.

SO! I do very much appreciate all of you and your help and advice! I would have never guessed it was that.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Old 05-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenSinner09 View Post
So, I was able to find some time today and got the car up and inspected the deflector. It was sagging in near the splash guard. My guess is when the hood popped open, the rush of air that entered the hood blew the deflector off the screws. So I did a hasty mend on it with some duct tape...aaaaand I just got done going 110...smoothly.

SO! I do very much appreciate all of you and your help and advice! I would have never guessed it was that.
Awesome bro, glad we could help you out!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT