Is a rough idle normal? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd2016 View Post
Update... you guys will enjoy this. After two days at the dealer and several hours with a senior master mechanic they weren't able to solve whatever is causing the rough idle...ha.

After consulting with Ford, they changed the MAF sensor and that made no difference. They reflashed the stock tune and that didn't help either.

The final recommendation, was that I should take the car over to the local mustang shop and have it tuned. That made me laugh, as I never would have expected a dealer to suggest I get my car tuned.
Wow, just wow. Sounds like a stellar dealership.

"Insert clever phase here"
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
The great idle mystery has finally been solved. I took the car to Kevin at film flam tuning in Richmond and he figured it out right away. It turns out when I swapped the air filter I didn't reinstall it correctly so there was a slight gap and that caused the idle issue.. Talk about a dumb mistake.
What's worse is Ford couldn't figure that out. It is nice when the fix to an annoying problem is so easy, and free. Hey we all have made simple mistakes that caused bigger problems at some point.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
The great idle mystery has finally been solved. I took the car to Kevin at film flam tuning in Richmond and he figured it out right away. It turns out when I swapped the air filter I didn't reinstall it correctly so there was a slight gap and that caused the idle issue.. Talk about a dumb mistake.
Sounds like something I said back in Post #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
I believe something isn't quite right with your air box/intake/filter element fitment.

I'm not an expert, but that's the dog I would start the hunt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
What's worse is Ford couldn't figure that out. It is nice when the fix to an annoying problem is so easy, and free. Hey we all have made simple mistakes that caused bigger problems at some point.

Yep... its part of the DIY learning process... although its always frustrating when you find out it was something you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Pony View Post
Wow, just wow. Sounds like a stellar dealership.

That's how I feel... On a side note I rated them poorly on the post-service evaluation to Ford, and the dealer actually followed up. It wasn't easy, but they decided to refund half the cost of the repair (or non-repair since they didn't solve anything). I always appreciate people that try to make things right (even if I still think the whole thing should have been free).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crjackson2134 View Post
Sounds like something I said back in Post #6
Yep... you were right. Its amazing the dealer didn't spot it too, as you would think they would have checked the air intake as part of their diagnosis.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Most dealer mechanics are stupid I know that sounds harsh but I've had enough problems with them to come to that conclusion. Typically if I am getting something fixed under warranty I don't take in until I have properly diagnosed it and then I take it in and tell them what to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post
Most dealer mechanics are stupid I know that sounds harsh but I've had enough problems with them to come to that conclusion. Typically if I am getting something fixed under warranty I don't take in until I have properly diagnosed it and then I take it in and tell them what to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
I've always felt the same way... that's why I'm starting to wonder why I even care about buying a new car with a warranty anymore. Taking my car to a dealer has always been my last resort.
Edd2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Warranties are primarily a sales tool. Buy a car for the car, not for the warranty. By and large, the Mustang is a fairly solid package. What tends to go wrong with every car, from Kia to Merc, is stuff related to the options chosen. More electronics, more problems. that siad, i ain't buying some stripped-out checker cab base car so, I'll take the risk.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT