Steering problem after header install - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Steering problem after header install

Hi everyone.
This is my first time posting on this site but I've come here for a lot of answers in the past and maybe you can help me again.
I just did a long tube header install on my 2012 GT this weekend. During that whole ordeal I had to disconnect the steering shaft from the u joint at the rack and pinion. Now that it's all put together, the steering wheel has a lot of dead space when I first start to turn either direction and it makes this popping sound that I can even feel in the wheel when it hits the edge that dead spot. For a second it feels like the steering is completely disconnected and then it pops and goes back to normal.
Every joint along the steering shaft looks fine and if I put my hand on the connection right behind the steering wheel where the shaft first connects, the pop feels the strongest.
Before I disconnected the steering shift during the header work, the steering was tight and responsive all the way around. Any idea what this could be?
J Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The shaft is rubbing (pause) against the header. Which headers did you install? Mine did that too when I installed it. It would pop pop pop as I turn however it has stopped a long time ago.
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
There's gotta be a better solution then hoping it goes away!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I had an issue after my headers were installed that resulted in a dead space in the steering, but no pop.

The "collar" that attaches the steering shaft to the steering rack has two bolts in it. Those bolts are directional, and must be installed in the proper direction for the shaft to be secure. You can tighten them all you want, but if they're not oriented properly, it will have a dead space. Not sure if that's what you're suffering from since i didnt have a pop, but its a quick and easy thing to check.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I went with the BBK headers. I never touched the connection right behind the steering wheel so I don't know why it would be acting up. The only part I messed with was the u joint at the rack and pinion but I did loosen the bolts at the firewall where the steering shaft goes through because I had to push the shaft upwards towards the steering wheel to get it out if the u joint that I was working with. I put everything back exactly like it was since there is only one way to do it.
This is kind of scary because the issue is more prominent at highway speeds. It's weird not to have any steering for a second when you're dealing with Virginia I395 traffic.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'll double check the bolts at the u joint after work tomorrow evening just to make sure, but it had two different bolt sizes so it's kind of hard to screw up.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I put bbk as well. You can try having someone then the steering wheel while you are underneath looking at what's causing the noise. Then you can see what you can do to fix it. I looked under there couple of times to see what was the noise and I never seem to see what the prob was.

Just make sure everything is tight and how it's supposed to be when you go under there
Joaquin_ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:41 PM   #8
Jn2
Registered Member
Regular

Other people have said they smack the header with a hammer to help make clearance for the steering shaft.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So I just looked and it's not contacting the headers but I did notice the bolts at bottom u joint. I remember them being in opposite directions when I took them off. That's what made them a little more difficult. Apparently I put them back in the same directions. So this issue could be what Voltwings said about the directional bolts. As soon as the engine cools down I'll try it out.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Vic View Post
So I just looked and it's not contacting the headers but I did notice the bolts at bottom u joint. I remember them being in opposite directions when I took them off. That's what made them a little more difficult. Apparently I put them back in the same directions. So this issue could be what Voltwings said about the directional bolts. As soon as the engine cools down I'll try it out.
I'm pretty sure that's the issue, but post back and let us know.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I know it's a late reply but I just got a chance to crawl back under the car and play with those bolts. I switched the direction of one of them and it's good as new now. I don't understand how it works but it does.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT