Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Has this happen to some of you?

4K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  Mlp07 
#1 · (Edited)
Automotive exterior Auto part Armrest
Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Emblem Vehicle registration plate

It's not something big but it's just annoying to see, makes the car look cheap. I'm planing to take it to the dealership hope they don't tell me it's my fault and won't honor it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yeah still have warranty, got it 2 years ago and has 16k miles. Don't really drive it much as it's a weekend car. It the base dash. I was planing on getting the premium one, but it kind of expensive for just a dash. If they don't end up replacing it under warranty I'll just get the rtr rear decklid.

#4 ·
I have the same problem on the back piece just not as bad. Very annoying to say the least and there doesn't seem to be a reason for it. Unfortunately my car is past the bumper to bumper. I'm interested to see what the dealership says, I hope they will take care of you but history tells me you may have a hard time. Good luck.

#5 ·
the only thing i don't like about the black thingy is how it drools water in the trunk when I open it in the rain.

#7 · (Edited)
Wow! That deck lid looks really old and weathered. I have a 14 with 30k miles and it doesn't have any sign of that happening. Maybe Texas heat and sunlight? Even still, it shouldn't happen to such a new car and I hope your dealership replaces that for you.
As someone else said, maybe time for the RTR deck lid? I'm getting one as soon as life's other financial responsibilities allow.
Oh....I miss the days when I was young and bought mods or toys and worried less that my bills are all paid first. But then again...it's making my mod wish list last longer and keep me occupied with the process.
If I had all the mods all at once and it was "perfect" in my opinion and taste, then it might loose the fun faster.

#8 ·
I always take care of my car, but it sees all weather conditions as i don't have a garage. I think ill have a hard time having them replace both things, and they will blame me for the one on the dash. The dash slowly started losing color since the day I got my gt. I don't really want to take it to the dealer since I've had bad experience with one, but I also need to take it because my factory alarm doesn't work. Hopefully everything goes well.

#9 · (Edited)
Yesterday I washed my car and it seems on the rear decklid it's getting worst and worst, because it wasn't that bad before. If they don't replace it, i get I'll get the rtr one. although I kind of don't dig it. Seems just too plain.

#10 ·
Well, there is another option if they just call it normal wear and tear: scuffing and painting the plastic piece with proper bumper paint. That'll give you a durable finish that you can touch up. probably best to get a pro involved here, as painting plastic ain't everyone's bag.

You got a lot of acid rain down there?

#11 ·
Is the clear coating flaking on the decklid?

As far as the dash goes, it kinda looks like it was cleaned with a chemical and it was left to bake.

Use a sun shield when parking outside, less UV wear on the interior and heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
It looks like it, it doesn't really rain it's mostly hot weather here in tx. I do have a sun shield on it, since I don't drive it a lot. I use 303 aerospace for my interior, don't think that would damage it.

#13 ·
I dunno.....I can understand how frustrating this is. One thing is for sure, it doesn't pay off in the long run to get the budget interior on an American car. They usually aren't that good with the Premium kit on board but, at least they try a little harder.

#14 ·
That's the plastic coming unglued from the base material, bit by bit. The only solution is to just replace the whole piece. It's like the hoods - they eventually will start to rot through, so plan for an aftermarket replacement at some time.

There's a reason they sell them for so little money. The cars, well, ARE inexpensive as they come out of the factory and will need a lot of fixes and upgrades over their lifetime. Welcome to the world of muscle cars :) Cheap ride with a big motor.

Also, get a car cover. Always park the car towards the inside of the parking structure. Keep UV/sunlight off of it as much as possible.

#16 ·
Mine is doing the same thing on the deck lid. I would describe it as delamnating. My 13 only has 16k on it. Taking it to the dealer this week - hope they honor their warranty.

#18 · (Edited)
Definitely glad I have covered parking at both ends of my daily commute, and a mild climate.....That goes for the hood's galvanic corrosion issue as well. Both my S197s had no problems with this.

The hood issue is because the aluminum hood skin is laid up agains t the steel support structure and isn't properly seam sealed. The two metals together that are dissimilar creates galvanic corrosion that bubbles the paint. This has been an issue since 2005 when they started using aluminum hoods but, it's still only a small percentage of the cars that have the problem.

#21 ·
That's one of the things I need to get fixed also, my hood doesn't have bubbles yet but I can tell it wasn't sealed right. Mine is kind of peeling already. I love my car but man these cars have a lot of paint issues. When I got my car I had the dealership repaint my bumper because it was peeling. Tire Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

#20 ·
fiberglass? I've recently been looking into getting a cowl hood and haven't heard anything but atrocious reviews on fiberglass. no matter what the brand is.

#23 ·
Re the decklid.... dealer today: yeah - sorry out of warranty for that part and nothing on recall /service notices on it. Part number is 63423A42
and still no word on the airbag parts availability.
:(

#24 ·
I have something similar on the rear deckled, but mind is around the circle faux gas cap. It's not as noticeable. I only see it when I wash the car.

#25 ·
Check ebay for used dash inserts and change yours out to the premium version... win win. They're not all that expensive either... I've done it twice and think it was around $300 for all the inserts in a set. It really improves the driving experience too.

The install is straight forward too. There's a video on youtube showing how to pop the pieces out. The only tricky part is the passenger airbag.

#29 ·
I'll take mine Wednesday this week, I've been really busy with work. We'll see what they say. As for the dash I think 300 something is expensive for what it is. I would rather spend it on a mod that will actually do something. Eventually I'll get a premium dash, but not anytime soon.

#30 ·
Update* so I took my car and they will replace my rear deck lid, but unfortunately they won't for the dash. There's one issue I had and I thinking is completely bs and they are talking out of their ***... Okay so 2 years ago the dealership installed a factory alarm which I paid for it and it only worked for 4 months. Finally I had the chance to take it in and their excuse is that my dome lights are aftermarket and that it's causing the alarm to go valet mode and that it's completely my fault and I'm responsible for it. Wtf... They want to Charge me $80 to have it fixed. Seriously these dealerships they are just money hungry....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.