Temperature ideas? Air and engine bay - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Temperature ideas? Air and engine bay

OK, I know if it can be done it has so I am probably wasting time. That said, knowing temperature is key to HP and I am in Florida I have a couple questions:

1. Methane basically cools you intake temp to add HP. Is there a negative effect to using it on the engine short or long term?

2. Is there a benefit to adding an electric cooling fan into the engine bay to keep the temperature down especially when at track?

3. This one getting a b it out there, anyone ever thought of trying to create a redirect of AC to the engine either bay or air intake? Granted at track they want no AC running.

3. I have seen Ice cooler systems but never on a centri only on twin screw blowers. Do they make and do they benefit a centri SC?
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think you mean methanol injection. Methane isn't going to do anything except perhaps blow your engine up. Methanol won't help much without forced induction. You might consider a retune for E85 if it's available. Worth 10-15 horse alone, n/a.

You already have an electronic cooling fan in the engine bay; it's hanging off the radiator.

Routing AC into the intake is dangerous and won't help in a naturally aspirated application. Nothing combustible there. There's a point where no further advantage can be gained from charge cooling. Ice coolers can work with centri as well but they really are for dragstrip use. You can use nitrous or Co2 to spray the intercooler...or use nitrous as a charge cooler, injected jato the intake. I did that once on an old supercharged pushrod 5.0 back in the day.

You don't just magically keep gaining hp from pushing temps down. The whole system needs to work together.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
I think you mean methanol injection. Methane isn't going to do anything except perhaps blow your engine up. Methanol won't help much without forced induction. You might consider a retune for E85 if it's available. Worth 10-15 horse alone, n/a.

You already have an electronic cooling fan in the engine bay; it's hanging off the radiator.

Routing AC into the intake is dangerous and won't help in a naturally aspirated application. Nothing combustible there. There's a point where no further advantage can be gained from charge cooling. Ice coolers can work with centri as well but they really are for dragstrip use. You can use nitrous or Co2 to spray the intercooler...or use nitrous as a charge cooler, injected jato the intake. I did that once on an old supercharged pushrod 5.0 back in the day.

You don't just magically keep gaining hp from pushing temps down. The whole system needs to work together.
Yes, Methanol... typo lol. I guess it all stemmed from realizing how hot it got in my engine bay even after about 30 minutes of being packed in garage.

I am running the Paxton SC. Guess I was just trying to figure something out lol. Thanks for the quick, and well deteailed help man!
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
A 20-30 shot of nitrous with no added fuel would help at the dragstrip. Here's the thing, the more you compress something, the hotter it gets. You could drop your boost level to reduce charge air temp and allow you to add more timing. You might get more out of that than you lose.

On my point earlier, combusting r134 produces a hot ball of fire and hydrogen flouride, a corrosive and toxic chemical more than capable of killing you. In the old days, combusting R12, produced phosgene gas, similar to that used in the trenches in WW1.

Just because the engine bay is hot, doesn't mean the charge air is. You need to datalog and see how efficient the intercooler is. The Paxton core is pretty good, up to the 800+ horse range. The fact it relies on air movement is a downside but, it's the same on base kit PD blowers. The engine fan helps some here, it has plenty of CFM.

Thusly, don't overegg the pudding here. When you add complexity, you add in failure modes.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
A 20-30 shot of nitrous with no added fuel would help at the dragstrip. Here's the thing, the more you compress something, the hotter it gets. You could drop your boost level to reduce charge air temp and allow you to add more timing. You might get more out of that than you lose.

On my point earlier, combusting r134 produces a hot ball of fire and hydrogen flouride, a corrosive and toxic chemical more than capable of killing you. In the old days, combusting R12, produced phosgene gas, similar to that used in the trenches in WW1.

Just because the engine bay is hot, doesn't mean the charge air is. You need to datalog and see how efficient the intercooler is. The Paxton core is pretty good, up to the 800+ horse range. The fact it relies on air movement is a downside but, it's the same on base kit PD blowers. The engine fan helps some here, it has plenty of CFM.

Thusly, don't overegg the pudding here. When you add complexity, you add in failure modes.
that makes sense, especially the complexity part. I am a DD so I always worry about reliability while trying to still edge performance. Consider I track it about quarterly I think I will put that money and effort to something else lol.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
You surely know your stuff, I learned something totally worth the 5 minutes to read. Thankyou!
SolarFlarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Simply design and engineer an intercooler

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
2013 GT Premium (auto) Crystalline,factory 19”wheels, black rocker stripe & heat extractors, redline armrests, Silverhorse windows Polk/Infinity speakers, Dynamat GT500A-bcks 1963 Studebaker Avanti R2 Factory Supercharged still own1938 Studebaker President still own 1969 Mustang Coupe, 302 Blue (sold 1978)1966 Aurora Thunderjet 2+2 Fastback - yellow w/red stripes (owned since age 9)1968 HOT WHEELS Redline Mustang 2+2 Gold - owned since age 11
RWSRWS is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT