Cooling System A/C NightMare - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Region: New Mexico
Cooling System A/C NightMare

I'm stumped, need some guidance.

About two weeks ago I was driving home and my A/C quit blowing cold. Googled the issue and everyone says compressor is bad, get ready to spend $1200+. Not good.

Next morning, driving to work, the A/C is blowing ice cold, so I assume no issues. That day, while returning home, A/C will not blow cold and car overheats - complete with steam coming out of the hood, coolant sprayed all over the engine bay, etc. Even a couple of gallons of coolant on the ground. Even more awesome was when a guy in a Hellcat blew by me and honked. Sweet, proud to be a mustang guy......I thought.

So - I get home after letting the car cool down. I pop the hood again, look at the mess no clue what could be wrong and I start the car, go for a 45 min horse beating drive. A/C blows ice cold, no overheating, no problems whatsoever.

A few days of this go by, sometimes I have cold A/C, sometimes not. The correlation here is that when the A/C isn't blowing cold, I know I am about to over heat. Not fun.

Today - I had some time. So here is what I did.

I filled the coolant res with water knowing I would spill some on the driveway. Started the car, coolant inlet/expansion tank lid off without turning A/C on. Car ran for 30 minutes until turned it off when the water was boiling out of the tank. What I noticed was, the cooling fan(s) NEVER kicked on. NEVER.

I let the car cool down, started it up again, ran for 10 minutes, same thing - water boiled out of the tank, cooling fan never turned on.

3rd time. Started the car, let it run for about 5 mins. At that point, I turned the A/C on - blowing nice and cold and the fan kicked on. No overheat, no boiling water spraying out.

Why doesn't the cooling fan turn on unless the a/c button is pressed?

Why does the a/c blow cold and everything is fine but when it blows hot, I've overheat and have to pull over?

Hard to be a die hard mustang fan when your 2011 car with 50k miles is acting like a 70's model with 100k.

El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT