Hood latch disengaged! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2016, 04:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Exclamation Hood latch disengaged!

Has this happened to anyone?

I was pulling out of Sam's parking lot and accelerated quickly to make it into the turning lane. After I entered the lane I began to brake quickly. At this point I am headed straight. There was quite a jarring bump in the road unbeknownst to me. It was enough to cause the ABS to kick in but the tires seems to stay planted.

I proceed to the highway... after some spirited merging I'm driving along (at the speed limit) when I notice my hood started popping up/bulging. My first thought was catastrophic engine failure, but then my brain quickly realized that the engine wasn't sputtering, I wasn't decelerating, etc.

I move over to the far right as quickly as I can while letting off the gas.

The whole time my brain is analyzing (while in a bit of shock, mind you) and I realize that the hood had become unlatched and the secondary hood catch was preventing my hood from slamming into my windshield.

After I pull over I pop the hood and eye over the engine bay quickly.. everything looks in place so I slam the hood down ensuring it is in place.

As I drive home I'm a bit gun shy at this point...

I've never had this happen before...Now I'm a bit leery of driving down the highway..

Has this happened to anyone before? Is there a recall on the hood latches I'm not aware of?

I can't believe that going over a well placed bump could cause the hood latch to release.

Thank goodness for that secondary latch! I would have been screwed.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 04:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Never happened to me. Let us know what you find out.
WoodDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Hood latch disengaged!

Far reach, but is it possible the last time you closed the hood it didn't latch completely? Maybe grabbing just enough to appear closed but not caught completely, and then the jar was enough to pop it? How long have you had the car? If it never happened before and you keep an eye on it and it doesn't happen again, I would probably chalk it up as a fluke. The other thing you could do is has someone pull the release from inside the car and you look under the hood to make sure the cable and latch are moving freely with full range of motion. I had an old Dakota where the cable needed to be greased up from time to time or it wouldn't spring completely back and allow the hood to fully latch when closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Far reach, but is it possible the last time you closed the hood it didn't latch completely?
I thought about that too, but it's extremely unlikely.

I drove the same highway on the way to Sam's and the hood didn't pop up.

I also drove that same highway (to and from) to get gas last time I drove the car.

Quote:
How long have you had the car?
Bought it new in March of 2014.

Quote:
The other thing you could do is has someone pull the release from inside the car and you look under the hood to make sure the cable and latch are moving freely with full range of motion.
I will definitely look into that... Thanks.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I've had the latch mechanism fail or jam partway on a few cars in the past. It's usually one of the springs that's the issue or something got a bit bent.
JOberlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
That secondary hook is there for a reason. Check and see the latch mechanism moves freely, like everyone is saying, by having someone pull the handle with the hood up and you just watch the actuation.

I watched this go bad on the road just the other day. Some ******hat went around me in Dad's new Maxima, cutting me off and got a couple hundred yard away when the hood flew up and smashed his windshield. I felt it was poetic justice, frankly.....

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
twk
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: North Carolina
When I bought my '09 used, one of the many little things I had to fix was the hood jiggling around as I drove over rough surfaces. I adjusted the snubbers in the front corners a bit and quickly fixed that problem. Then on my first drive out, BAM, the hood popped up off the latch on to the secondary latch. Like you, it startled the crap out of me.

I had adjusted it a bit too much. The front corners are now down a tiny bit, the hood still doesn't jiggle, and it latches much better! Something I wasn't paying attention to.
twk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT