Mustang Evolution Forum banner

What is your favorite tune/tuner

5K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  13Mustang5.0 
#1 ·
Let's keep this classy as we all have our opinions. I was about to order vmp tune, I currently have Bama. The more you research the more you go crazy over what tuner to use. I am not sure where Am Alex is on this debate. I have been using bama but it sounds like they are having some issues over there now. They even are selling vmp tunes now. I am thinking about still Driving to vmp to check them out or going with mike rousch. I have 2014 auto with cai, o/r h pipe and borla axle backs. What do u all reccommend for me but also what do you all run. I keep reading about blown engines too. I know this topic has been beaten to death but let's do it again. I also think a dyno tune is not needed as I just have some bolt ons.

#2 ·
VMP and Rousch are particularly good for auto cars. I selected vmp bc I got good response from their calibration team. The tune was really good out of the box, no complaints. I've datalogged a couple runs to have them look it over but, not really thinking any tweaks are merited. CS is really just as important as the tune itself. If you get that part as well as a quality product, that's what you really need to look into.

#3 ·
What is the reason you want to change your tune? You might read about some issues with the Bama tunes because there are so many more people running them, they might be slightly conservative but overall I think they are solid. I have had plenty of cars including a few mustangs and ran different tunes, I have never really noticed a major difference in any of them. In my turbo/supercharged cars, I notice a huge difference between stock and tuned, but not much between different tuners, dyno tuned or not. I say you are reading too much. If you already paid for Bama, just keep running it. If you are unhappy with them, data log it and ask for adjustments if any are needed. But with no specific complaints, I doubt you will notice the difference between your Bama and a VMP tune. I met Justin at mustang week, and since he didn't have a dyno with him, he couldn't just sell his name. Honestly he didn't seem to give a **** whether you used him or Pro dyno or anyone else there selling tunes. Based on peoples reviews on these forums I "think" VMP is solid. Will you notice a difference by buying his tune, I highly doubt it. Depending on what you're looking for, I would use your money elsewhere. Whatever tune I use, I get used to very quickly and always want more anyways....

#4 ·
Thanks for input 5lho. I am definitely switching from bama. Vmp rousch and Lund is what I am torn between. I hear great things about all of them. Just worried about vmp because now American muscle uses them too. Maybe I shouldn't associate American muscle and bama together. Maybe that's my issue.

#6 ·
Just deal with Vmp directly. AM is just a retailer and no negative aspersions should be drawn. They retail lots of people's products.

I've used three tuners and all were fine.

#7 ·
Learn to write your own calibrations changes. A lot easier when you are in charge of your own tune ;)

#8 ·
Finally installed a generic 93 octane tune tonight. Can tell a difference but I've got to do some logging and figure out what to change for a customized tune. Rather not have to send data off and wait for a tune anytime I change something... And the added cost lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#9 ·
If you are running a stock-ish or conventionally modified car, any reputable vendor will get you 95% of the possible gains from a simple email tune. It's only FI or nitrous that really need logs and customization.

#12 ·
If you're tunes are the sct strategy tunes, don't use them. Get a tune from a proper tuner that knows what they are doing. You should have chosen a tuner and bought the sct from them. If you did that it'd have come pre-loaded with good tunes.

#13 ·
Without prejudice to other tuners I would praise Lund Racing. I did not understand much in custom tuning initially, so Jon Lund II had tons of patience with me explaining the basics. I had nine episodes of remote tuning with him, datalogged the car several times, static, in motion and finally on the dyno, had to change the intercooler heat exchanger in the middle of the process following his recommendations. In all it took him three or four months to tune my Shelby to his and my satisfaction. The result is 780whp and 980Nm on the wheels. Quite enough for a street car.

#15 ·
I'm extremely happy with my Bama tune. Car drives very smooth, and I went from 12.64 @ 112 to 11.97 @ 117.5 with the tune, JLT, and off road X pipe. Can't complain.

#16 ·
That is quite strong for that mod level, I presume there's a sticky tire involved as well?

#17 · (Edited)
Yeah, I used a Toyo TQ 255/50/16 and 60' on the 11.97 pass was 1.79, and I was in the low 1.9's on street rubber when stock.

#18 ·
The ET is giving you room to increase the mph, definitely. The mph is consistent with a full exhaust car so, you are doing well for just an off road.

Reactions: Dave M
#19 ·
Yeah, I have the trap speed for mid 11's if I can get it to hook properly.

#20 ·
Can we get some Steeda loyalists in here!!

Ill help start with some reviews:

I was a bit unsure as to how this tuner would really do. I am a believer now! After installing a 93 octane race tune, twin 62mm throttle body, and a "Steeda" CAI....all i can say now is my car is a beast now. I highly recommend this tuner. easy to use, with simple on screen prompts, and more hp and torge, make it more than worth it! - See more at: SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes (96-16) 388-7015 | Free Shipping!
I continue to be impressed by Steeda. My requests for tune revisions are completed in 24 hours and more importantly, the tunes themselves are the gold standard. I picked Steeda for it's reputation and I now know that reputation is well deserved. I hope you take it for the complement it is when I tell you the throttle response and modulation is BMW-like. I have tried other tunes and without fail come back to Steeda because the throttle is perfect. - See more at: SCT X4 Mustang Tuner w/ Steeda Certified Tunes (96-16) 388-7015 | Free Shipping!
Okay, your turn!

Best Regards,

TJ

#21 ·
Time for a full slick. I did 11.91 on just a Procal tune, at 115. 1.6 sixty. That was close to maxing that out.

#28 ·
I am now a *big* advocate of finding someone local. I know this is hard to do sometimes, but if you start running into problems like I did then local knowledge is the way to go in my completely biased opinion. Preferably a shop that does both install and tune.

In my case, I have a local tuner that works closely with a local shop which is right down the road. In fact, the tuner has made a big splash here with local Ford guys. It's a fixed price for his time and he does indeed take his time.

I will *never* use email tunes again.

#33 ·
I am now a *big* advocate of finding someone local.
My Chebby friend did this with his new Camaro and the 'reputable' shop wound up taking the car to the limit and blew his engine. Ask a lot of questions.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

SCTx4 from MPT. Favorite is 91oct performance tune with ghost cam.
Based on my research, going this route also!

#29 ·
I can only speak for vmp. I've had no issues. If I had to do it again I would choose Vmp. I also liked that Justin was answering all my questions by email when I had question.

#30 ·
I can only speak for vmp. I've had no issues. If I had to do it again I would choose Vmp. I also liked that Justin was answering all my questions by email when I had question.

I wasn't impressed with Justin in the customer service department. I do not blame him for the mechanical issues with my car, but when I sent him reams of data I felt that he didn't answer my questions. I would send a paragraph with logs and plots. I would get one sentence replies. It didn't build confidence.

If I lived local to VMP where I could go there in person I would probably give him another shot. Since I have the VMP kit, I will continue to purchase from VMP for parts, etc., but not email tuning.

My local guy is fantastic. Hands down.

#31 ·
Hey guys, what do you all think about Livernois tune in our 5oh's?? My stang is a M6 with 3:31's lowered with cai and catback. I have my explorer sport tuned with them and it's pretty amazing. I haven't had a chance to track the sport cause my local track is open only on Sunday and can't attend cause of work; But on the street I've win a lot of races. I'm divided between Lund and them, unfortunately I haven't found too much info in the forums about Livernois tunes on the 2014 5.0 only in the 2015's. Any info would be appreciated guys!

#34 ·
I'm not big on ghost tuning in general, but you can't go wrong with MPT.

#35 ·
Am I ok running a ghost cam tune daily on my 2013 5.0? And yes the cats are deleted before you ask but I been loving the ghost cam tune for a few days now I know it can be a lil jerkiness at low rpms but otherwise I love it and was wondering if I can run it daily and not worry about any issues please let me know thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.