Mustang Evolution Forum banner

11-14 GT or 16+ Ecoboost?

5K views 45 replies 24 participants last post by  olerodder 
#1 ·
Hey all,

After a good amount of looking around and test driving some I have narrowed it down to two cars I am looking at. They are around the same price and that is the 11-14 GT or the 16+ Ecoboost. I know this forum section might be a little biased but I ask for you to help me with an objective opinion.

I can get a premium Ecoboost for around 26k or I could get a GT premium for around 20-25k... I drive an 03 GT now and am 23 years old along with being male....

I wish I could get a 2016 premium GT but they are just too far out of range for now. I personally really want creature comforts because I will be in this car for a good while. It will be my DD. The premium in the new cars is super nice and what is making me think about straying away from the V8. Although I drove a 16 GT and holy smokes... Those engines are scary fast :eek: when coming from a 03 lol.

I also feel like I will really miss the V8 sound. But the Ecoboost will save me some money on insurance, and comes with more comforts on the inside plus better MPG. I test drove a 2013 v6 vert and it didn't seem NEAR as well made as the 15+'s do. I don't use the extra power too much, but I definitely like to get squirrelly sometimes :thumb:

I didn't enjoy the Ecoboost that much though. It felt like the turbo kicked in too late, and I was having to shift as it really got going. When the turbo was going though, it felt really powerful. The V8 felt amazing and very smooth throughout the RPM's. I can try to find a 11-14 V8 with the technology package but those seem far and few between.

TBH though the GT and Ecoboost will probably end up around the same. I'll save 40 bucks on payments if I go the GT route, or 40 bucks on the insurance with the Ecoboost route. The Ecoboost will come with fully warranty though which is nice. I won't be modding voiding warranty's with any modding. For a 23 year old guy that just graduated and will be getting a new car (this is gonna all be a little after getting a good job) which do you guys all think will fit me? Was the quality of the 2013 v6 vert maybe just bad from the car maybe being wrecked (I didn't check into the car that much, not sure if it was or wasn't) because even the doors closing didn't sound as solid and nice.

I appreciate all advice and help. I'm having trouble deciding basically between better technology or the bigger motor. Both has pros and cons, just wish I could have my cake and eat it too with the 16 GT :(

P.S. Mods move this to general if you think it should be there instead. I was just wanting a good amount of opinions on interior quality from people who have this generation GT.

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd say 5.0, and get a dash kit, Maestro Sync adapter, and a nice Kenwood HU of your choice if you really want the tech package.

That's the route in taking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
More info on the Maestro sync adapter? I really want to add an in dash nav but want an OEM look.

Don't like that raxiom kit either

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#5 ·
Anyone have any comments on the interior quality vs the new ones? Is it noticeably worse?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#6 ·
You mean 11-14 vs 15-16?

15+ are noticeably better, the rear seat room is however smaller. The best thing to do is drive any 15+ and see if the interior is a deal breaker for you.

I got a 14 GT Premium so you know where I stand.

#13 ·
Yes. Mainly because the interior is updated. The ecoboost probably has plenty of power for my DD, but I might miss that v8 sound. :\

#14 · (Edited)
The eco is neat in its own way and the 15+ is a better car in every way than the 14-.

I had the same choice when I wrecked my 12 in September of last year. I looked at both 13-14 and 15+ V8s. Too spendy for me on the 15s at the time and the late 14 I bought was markedly nicer and better than my 2012, even though the option loads and trim were the same in both cars.

The other factor for me, knowing I will drag race the car and mod it is which is a better platform for that and it's S197 hands down in that dept.

#15 ·
I don't plan to track mine at all. It's just gonna be a DD that I can have a little spirited fun with.

#16 ·
Depends on your definition of spirited. The V8 5.0 is hands down a lot more spirited than the Eco and the older car is a bit more involving than the newer car, due to its shopping trolley suspension.

#17 ·
The solid rear axle gives you a sense of impending danger that the IRS doesn't, that alone should sell the 11-14 GT to you. :dance:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
GT all day. If you're even a little bit on the fence on the Ecoboost, you'll come to regret it, down the road.

#20 ·
5.0. you can dress it up as you go if you want more tech and such inside but it would take a ton to get the Eco as fast as the 5.0. I love our bidy styles better even though the 15+ is growing on me. Also, when you drove the Eco did you like the sound? I hated it when girlfriend test drove it. The Gt sounds awesome, add axlebacks and WOW

FYI she just got a 2014 GT after test driving a number of models including the 16 Eco. NNNOOO regrets

#21 ·
Can you dress it up as nicely? From my experience, aftermarket stuff (example is Head Units) never are as good as the stock when it comes to integrating with the car.

Being realistic, the car had hardly any sound. It was awful lol. I know the V8 sounds great, and do feel like I'll miss that growl. I just want a car that feels solid and well made.

#23 ·
As to look at some of the cars you mentioned and price being a consideration, I would look at a 2015 basic GT instead of Premium and you'll have just as much fun and comfort and get the 5.0 Coyote and then put on some after market exhaust and mods and you'll have a ball. I just bought a '16 GT Premium Ruby Red Metallic and absolutely love it. Was looking at the basic GT but being this will be my last muscle car, went for the Premium package.

#24 ·
I sold my 14 TrakPak Mustang last year after a lot of mod's...and for me it just wasn't fun to drive as a DD anymore. You are young and a small car with little room in the back seat is probably Ok. If you are planning to DD the car I would suggest an automatic and if you want a 6spd I would suggest getting a TrakPak 13/14 which has 3.73 gears...driving around town with the six speed was great as you could drive in 3rd or 4th at 35mph all day with no issues and the 3.73's seem to be a perfect match for the 6spd. My 14 was a base model with Recaro seats and the Recaro's were some of the most comfortable seats I've ever had....with the exception of the Recaro's in my ATS-V.
So......I think you would regret getting the EcoBoost as the fun factory is twice as much in a Coyote Mustang as it would be in the 2.3l turbo motor......and if you wanted to put a tune in the Coyote...that's when the fun really begins!
It's your money and whatever decision you make sounds like it will be with you for awhile...."So choose wisely Grasshopper"!

#27 ·
Always go V8 if there is a choice. You will never regret it. You said its the same overall payments. Check around the forums here and you'll get the jest of the Ecoboom comment. Look at the base 15 GT's. They gonna start dropping to make room for the 16's.

#28 ·
Base cars aren't really an option for me. Personally I really want some creature comforts so I can be happy for a long time. A motor can go a long ways but you eventually want nice things on the inside with you.

Are the EB motors bad?

#29 ·
No, there's myths about exploding eco motors are just that. Drill down and you often find abuse is the root cause.

#30 ·
As was said there are a few people saying the motor is a hand grenade and any motor can be if it's pushed hard enough. I had an 88 Turbo Coupe with a mod'd 2.3 Turbo/Intercooler and although it had an Esslinger Engineering head among other mod's and never had any issues with pushing 300hp...many years ago.
The only issue I have with a 4 cylinder is that it produces power at 5000 rpm or below and the max torque....although very linear....is between 2500/4500 rpm. so if you want 310hp and 320lbft of torque that's fine....I would rather have 420+HP and almost 400lbft of torque under my right foot....it's your money!

#33 ·
This statement in your original post: "I didn't enjoy the Ecoboost that much though. " tells me you should not buy the ecoboost, but rather buy the V8 GT

#36 ·
We've been down this road....with cylinder 8, etc. You can't judge much based on what you read on the boards. Lots of things we don't know about most of these incidents.

I'd like the eco as a fun second car but, I wouldn't give up my Coyote for it, ever....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.