The "tick" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
5pointYoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 730
The "tick"

I pulled up next to a new jeep Cherokee today and heard something ticking ever second or two. Sounded exactly like the infamous 5.0 tick lol.

Maybe it's not just us 5.0 owners with this problem haha


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2014 GT. Oxford White.
20" Velgen VMB5s on NT555s.
MBRP Race Series Catback Exhaust
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
canesfan727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 134
Just noticed mine doing it today... A little over 13k miles on it. What exactly is it and does anybody know how to fix it?


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 59
Usually happens after oil changes, some people say running different oils helps.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
canesfan727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 134
So it will go away? I did get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago at the dealer because I had free oil changes for 2 years but that runs out in July so I'll get another one before it runs out


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Spokane
Region: Washington
Posts: 1,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointYoBro View Post
I pulled up next to a new jeep Cherokee today and heard something ticking ever second or two. Sounded exactly like the infamous 5.0 tick lol.

Maybe it's not just us 5.0 owners with this problem haha
Did you have your windows down?............and are you sure it wasn't the sound of yours reflecting off the side of the Jeep??
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan727 View Post
So it will go away? I did get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago at the dealer because I had free oil changes for 2 years but that runs out in July so I'll get another one before it runs out


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mine hasn't gone away completely but it's gotten less noticeable as it goes through the oil cycle. I also have the prepurchased oil changes through ford dealership and I noticed my tick a few days after an oil change. I decided that if I had to hear something, it better sound cool, so I got rid of my resonators lol.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
canesfan727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate714 View Post
Mine hasn't gone away completely but it's gotten less noticeable as it goes through the oil cycle. I also have the prepurchased oil changes through ford dealership and I noticed my tick a few days after an oil change. I decided that if I had to hear something, it better sound cool, so I got rid of my resonators lol.

Hahaha well I'm getting an off road x pipe this month so hopefully that'll take care of it. Not trying to steal the thread but is there really a difference in the brands of x pipes sound wise? I mean some are a lot more expensive than others but if they're catless, 3", and stainless steel shouldn't they all sound pretty much the same? I was looking at the blow by racing off road x because I heard it in person with roush axle backs and it sounded awesome


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 59
No experience using different brands of X/H pipe, I can't imagine brand difference being huge besides build quality and fitment. Mufflers have more uniqueness to them. I use heartthrob H pipe and OAP with GT500 mufflers. Sounds great IMO but the heartthrob kit was a fitment nightmare even for a shop - had to trim the H pipe a couple inches and bad to cut/bend/weld one of the OAP to clear the axle vent.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
5pointYoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Did you have your windows down?............and are you sure it wasn't the sound of yours reflecting off the side of the Jeep??
Lol yeah I stuck my whole head out the window.

I noticed mine start to tick after I changed the oil for the first time. Bought the car at 24k and changed at 27k. After about 1000 miles it completely disappeared.

I was freaking at first but read about how it goes away over time, and sure enough it does.

Might try using Amsoil Full Synthetic and an Amsoil filter next change, to see if it helps

I've pulled up to atm's here in the past week and havent noticed a thing. And i really listen for it sometimes just to see if its still there. Even put it in park once the other day when i got home from work (20 min drive) and got out to listen for it
__________________
2014 GT. Oxford White.
20" Velgen VMB5s on NT555s.
MBRP Race Series Catback Exhaust
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
canesfan727's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lynchburg
Region: Virginia
Posts: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointYoBro View Post
Lol yeah I stuck my whole head out the window.

I noticed mine start to tick after I changed the oil for the first time. Bought the car at 24k and changed at 27k. After about 1000 miles it completely disappeared.

I was freaking at first but read about how it goes away over time, and sure enough it does.

Might try using Amsoil Full Synthetic and an Amsoil filter next change, to see if it helps

I've pulled up to atm's here in the past week and havent noticed a thing. And i really listen for it sometimes just to see if its still there. Even put it in park once the other day when i got home from work (20 min drive) and got out to listen for it

Haha I got so pissed off when I pulled in the garage and heard mine doing it tonight. I can't stand the car making noises it shouldn't. I had some bad koni struts that squeaked like crazy it was so embarrassing but they finally sent me new ones haha


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
5pointYoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan727 View Post
Haha I got so pissed off when I pulled in the garage and heard mine doing it tonight. I can't stand the car making noises it shouldn't. I had some bad koni struts that squeaked like crazy it was so embarrassing but they finally sent me new ones haha


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Yeah im super OCD about stuff like that too, but at least it goes away after you put some miles on her. And I havent read about anything going wrong because of it. Its just something weird that im sure some engineer for ford knows the answer to, but cant or wont ever say why
__________________
2014 GT. Oxford White.
20" Velgen VMB5s on NT555s.
MBRP Race Series Catback Exhaust
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
REG
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Monaca
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 263
X Pipe

With regards to xpipe, I got ther pypes and installed it when I changed the driveshaft.
No bolt up issues, cut clamps off the H pipe
Bolt er up!
__________________
2013 BBK Short tube, E-Force Stage 2, M/T 245/18/40 DR's, BMR LCA's, Alum D/S, Strange FRT adjustable struts
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
noldevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 573
Lots of cars make the noise. I haven't heard of any cases where it actually became a problem though. And no, Amsoil won't fix it, I'm ticking with amsoil right now :p
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
5pointYoBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Nashville
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Lots of cars make the noise. I haven't heard of any cases where it actually became a problem though. And no, Amsoil won't fix it, I'm ticking with amsoil right now :p

Lol guess I'll stick with Mobile 1 then. The sound only bothers me for the first couple hundred miles, then it quiets down and eventually is gone.

I think it was completely gone at 900-1000 miles.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
__________________
2014 GT. Oxford White.
20" Velgen VMB5s on NT555s.
MBRP Race Series Catback Exhaust
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
Senior Member
Supporter
 
Spartanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: League City
Region: Texas
Posts: 466
The "tick"

Anytime I have used another oil and filter instead of the OE stuff I have the tick. I record after every oil change... Don't worry about it, mine sounds worse since it was in the garage. Usually goes away after 800 miles. Check your oil level every 1000 miles...

https://youtu.be/NwO3Firo_b4
__________________
MT-82 hate.
Spartanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Orange County
Region: California
Posts: 59
OE oil and filter definitely tick for me, oil changes done by Ford dealership
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
noldevin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: North
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Anytime I have used another oil and filter instead of the OE stuff I have the tick. I record after every oil change... Don't worry about it, mine sounds worse since it was in the garage. Usually goes away after 800 miles. Check your oil level every 1000 miles...

https://youtu.be/NwO3Firo_b4

I had tick from the first oil change, which was done at the dealer with oem oil and filter.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Aurora
Region: Missouri
Posts: 471
Unless you watch them pour oil out of Motorcraft bottles at the dealer, you are not guaranteed to get OEM oil. Years ago around here, most of the dealers used Pennzoil as their oil change oil and that included some of the Ford dealerships. They sometimes use whoever sells it to them the cheapest.

As far as the Jeep Cherokee goes, if it had the 5.7L Hemi in it, there is a good chance what you heard is the "Hemi" tick. Go to some of the Challenger forums and they talk about it all of the time. Some of the 6.4L Hemi's do it too.

I personally heard it on a new 2013 Challenger RT I test drove back in the day as well as on my friend's 2013 Challenger RT he owned.

Wayne
__________________
2014 GT/automatic/Sterling Gray Metallic/GT500AB/GT500 OTA pipes/Bob's oil catch can/Ford aluminum finned diff cover. Ford STB.
70monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GT has developed, not a "tick" but a "ting" Guard 5.0 2015 Mustang GT 40 09-04-2015 01:43 PM
2014 Mustang GT "TICK" NEW MOTOR... QUESTIONS CMcManus18 2011-2014 Mustang GT 26 10-19-2013 07:49 PM
TICK TICK TICK Mustangman705 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 09-21-2013 07:30 AM
tick in new motor? hoof Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 6 04-27-2005 07:09 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:27 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.