The "tick" - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The "tick"

I pulled up next to a new jeep Cherokee today and heard something ticking ever second or two. Sounded exactly like the infamous 5.0 tick lol.

Maybe it's not just us 5.0 owners with this problem haha

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Bama 93 Performance Tune
5pointYoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Just noticed mine doing it today... A little over 13k miles on it. What exactly is it and does anybody know how to fix it?

canesfan727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Usually happens after oil changes, some people say running different oils helps.
nate714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So it will go away? I did get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago at the dealer because I had free oil changes for 2 years but that runs out in July so I'll get another one before it runs out

Old 05-31-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointYoBro View Post
I pulled up next to a new jeep Cherokee today and heard something ticking ever second or two. Sounded exactly like the infamous 5.0 tick lol.

Maybe it's not just us 5.0 owners with this problem haha
Did you have your windows down?............and are you sure it wasn't the sound of yours reflecting off the side of the Jeep??
Guard 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan727 View Post
So it will go away? I did get the oil changed about 2 weeks ago at the dealer because I had free oil changes for 2 years but that runs out in July so I'll get another one before it runs out

Mine hasn't gone away completely but it's gotten less noticeable as it goes through the oil cycle. I also have the prepurchased oil changes through ford dealership and I noticed my tick a few days after an oil change. I decided that if I had to hear something, it better sound cool, so I got rid of my resonators lol.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate714 View Post
Mine hasn't gone away completely but it's gotten less noticeable as it goes through the oil cycle. I also have the prepurchased oil changes through ford dealership and I noticed my tick a few days after an oil change. I decided that if I had to hear something, it better sound cool, so I got rid of my resonators lol.

Hahaha well I'm getting an off road x pipe this month so hopefully that'll take care of it. Not trying to steal the thread but is there really a difference in the brands of x pipes sound wise? I mean some are a lot more expensive than others but if they're catless, 3", and stainless steel shouldn't they all sound pretty much the same? I was looking at the blow by racing off road x because I heard it in person with roush axle backs and it sounded awesome

Old 05-31-2016, 09:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No experience using different brands of X/H pipe, I can't imagine brand difference being huge besides build quality and fitment. Mufflers have more uniqueness to them. I use heartthrob H pipe and OAP with GT500 mufflers. Sounds great IMO but the heartthrob kit was a fitment nightmare even for a shop - had to trim the H pipe a couple inches and bad to cut/bend/weld one of the OAP to clear the axle vent.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard 5.0 View Post
Did you have your windows down?............and are you sure it wasn't the sound of yours reflecting off the side of the Jeep??
Lol yeah I stuck my whole head out the window.

I noticed mine start to tick after I changed the oil for the first time. Bought the car at 24k and changed at 27k. After about 1000 miles it completely disappeared.

I was freaking at first but read about how it goes away over time, and sure enough it does.

Might try using Amsoil Full Synthetic and an Amsoil filter next change, to see if it helps

I've pulled up to atm's here in the past week and havent noticed a thing. And i really listen for it sometimes just to see if its still there. Even put it in park once the other day when i got home from work (20 min drive) and got out to listen for it
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 05-31-2016, 10:05 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pointYoBro View Post
Lol yeah I stuck my whole head out the window.

I noticed mine start to tick after I changed the oil for the first time. Bought the car at 24k and changed at 27k. After about 1000 miles it completely disappeared.

I was freaking at first but read about how it goes away over time, and sure enough it does.

Might try using Amsoil Full Synthetic and an Amsoil filter next change, to see if it helps

I've pulled up to atm's here in the past week and havent noticed a thing. And i really listen for it sometimes just to see if its still there. Even put it in park once the other day when i got home from work (20 min drive) and got out to listen for it

Haha I got so pissed off when I pulled in the garage and heard mine doing it tonight. I can't stand the car making noises it shouldn't. I had some bad koni struts that squeaked like crazy it was so embarrassing but they finally sent me new ones haha

Old 05-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesfan727 View Post
Haha I got so pissed off when I pulled in the garage and heard mine doing it tonight. I can't stand the car making noises it shouldn't. I had some bad koni struts that squeaked like crazy it was so embarrassing but they finally sent me new ones haha

Yeah im super OCD about stuff like that too, but at least it goes away after you put some miles on her. And I havent read about anything going wrong because of it. Its just something weird that im sure some engineer for ford knows the answer to, but cant or wont ever say why
Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #12
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
X Pipe

With regards to xpipe, I got ther pypes and installed it when I changed the driveshaft.
No bolt up issues, cut clamps off the H pipe
Bolt er up!
Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Lots of cars make the noise. I haven't heard of any cases where it actually became a problem though. And no, Amsoil won't fix it, I'm ticking with amsoil right now :p
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
Lots of cars make the noise. I haven't heard of any cases where it actually became a problem though. And no, Amsoil won't fix it, I'm ticking with amsoil right now :p

Lol guess I'll stick with Mobile 1 then. The sound only bothers me for the first couple hundred miles, then it quiets down and eventually is gone.

I think it was completely gone at 900-1000 miles.

Bama 93 Performance Tune
Old 06-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #15
Supporter

Region: Texas
The "tick"

Anytime I have used another oil and filter instead of the OE stuff I have the tick. I record after every oil change... Don't worry about it, mine sounds worse since it was in the garage. Usually goes away after 800 miles. Check your oil level every 1000 miles...

https://youtu.be/NwO3Firo_b4
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

OE oil and filter definitely tick for me, oil changes done by Ford dealership
Old 06-06-2016, 01:07 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
Anytime I have used another oil and filter instead of the OE stuff I have the tick. I record after every oil change... Don't worry about it, mine sounds worse since it was in the garage. Usually goes away after 800 miles. Check your oil level every 1000 miles...

https://youtu.be/NwO3Firo_b4

I had tick from the first oil change, which was done at the dealer with oem oil and filter.
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Unless you watch them pour oil out of Motorcraft bottles at the dealer, you are not guaranteed to get OEM oil. Years ago around here, most of the dealers used Pennzoil as their oil change oil and that included some of the Ford dealerships. They sometimes use whoever sells it to them the cheapest.

As far as the Jeep Cherokee goes, if it had the 5.7L Hemi in it, there is a good chance what you heard is the "Hemi" tick. Go to some of the Challenger forums and they talk about it all of the time. Some of the 6.4L Hemi's do it too.

I personally heard it on a new 2013 Challenger RT I test drove back in the day as well as on my friend's 2013 Challenger RT he owned.

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT